Old October 11th 09, 02:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 07:38:23 -0700 (PDT), D7666
wrote:

On Oct 11, 3:32*pm, "MC" wrote:

certainly should not be like a bus service. *More often than not I only have
to pay a few quid more, if not less, for an experience that is less
stressful, and thus a lot more enjoyable, on a full service carrier.

Thats a lot to pay for a free coffee and roll.

It's also a lot to pay for flights that last for only between 40
minutes and two hours. For longer flights, I can see the point of
paying for greater comfort.

Old October 11th 09, 02:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 13:39:27 on Sun, 11
Oct 2009, " remarked:
Never fly budget airlines. Pay the premium and just go on a normal
airline. In many cases it doesn't work out to be much more.
And it many cases it can be much less.
Ian

Indeed, it can be less at times. Much less hassle in any event.

Using Heathrow is much more hassle than anything a low cost airline can
throw at me.

T5 is actually pleasant to use, which is more than one can say about Luton.
However I appreciate getting there from Nottingham is not the best journery
in the world.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old October 11th 09, 02:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Oct 11, 2:11*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

And it many cases it can be much less.

You'll have to quote a few examples, because I've been flying round
Europe at least once a month for the last three or four years, and
I think I've only seen it once (a late evening Brussels-Heathrow with BA
that came in at 26 Euros plus 56 Euro tax (~£70); not that Brussels is
overwhelmed with Budget carriers).

It is possible to get cheaper flights by ''non-LoCo'' airlines, I've
done it.

The Opodo booking engine is one source - it has found me in the past
very low rate LHR Wien with OS, and LGW MUC with BA. But that is
comparing LHR/LGW like for like.

Not had recourse to use Opodo recently, essentially because of EZ at
Luton whre I live even if their fare is double the ''full'' airlines
cheapest offer, it dramtcally saves on time and effort and rail fare/
drive park.

The only drawback is a route like LTN-VIE (see other comment) is one
flight per day and the outbound while a reasonable ~16:00 local time
arrival in Wien, and Wien is an excellent city for a stop, my
destination is usually further east, and getting the 19:21 ex
Bratislava hl.st. to Zvolen is a bit dodgy ... all right on paper,
but only need to slight delayed arrival, missed an s-bahn / CAT, miss
the hourly train to Bratislava[*] at 17:28 and I won't make it.

[1] Yes In know there are 2 routes making 2 TPH but its not a symetric
half hourly service and one goes to Petrzalka which is n.b.g. for a
tight connection from hl.st i.e. if miss 17:28 above, the 18:05 to
Petrzalka does not get me anywhere.

--
Nick
Old October 11th 09, 03:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 13:44:42 on Sun, 11
Oct 2009, Neil Williams remarked:
I wonder if they'll be reducing the (zero before FCC arrived) fare, now
the main excuse (the FTRs) has disappeared in a puff of boiled frogs?

I thought it became chargeable when the airport lost interest in
providing it themselves, so FCC said they'd take it on if they could
charge to cover costs?

The airport used bone-shakers, but I doubt they could get away with
providing no service for this essential link.

I strongly suspect the FTRs were only there as prior to the Swansea
metro First had nothing to do with them, as in normal service they
require conductors.

I can't parse that, especially as FTRs ran in normal service in York for
many years.
Old October 11th 09, 03:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 15:51:51 on Sun,
11 Oct 2009, rail remarked:
Using Heathrow is much more hassle than anything a low cost airline can
throw at me.

T5 is actually pleasant to use, which is more than one can say about Luton.

There's nothing wrong with Luton outbound, but they suffer from chronic
under-manning of immigration (and long walks to get to it) on the way
back. Although my experience of T5 is equally long walks to get to
immigration.

However I appreciate getting there from Nottingham is not the best journery
in the world.

I can fly+train to central Amsterdam quicker!

Old October 11th 09, 03:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"Buddenbrooks" writes:
Why settle for surly when for a little more you can have surly and
condescending.

Ha! If you'd fly a Korean airline, you could have violent and insane too!

-Miles

--
Alone, adj. In bad company.
Old October 11th 09, 03:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message
, at
07:39:54 on Sun, 11 Oct 2009, D7666 remarked:
I regularly fly easyJet and it isn't hassle at all.

So do I but they've just cut the most useful route for me - Luton -
Wien.

I'm using it again next week, buts its axed in their November changes,
and its rported not just a winter t.t. cut, its permanent.

Ditto East Midlands-Geneva

BmiBaby fly that route, but only at weekends, and at entirely the wrong
times of day. So I'll be "forced" to use Luton again, I suppose.
Old October 11th 09, 03:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message .com, at
15:32:59 on Sun, 11 Oct 2009, MC remarked:
I recently flew by:

BA to Inverness around £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

BA to Budapest around £40 cheaper that EJ all in.

BA to Naples £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

Originating where? Heathrow perhaps. BA have pretty much abandoned
regional airports. If BA are flying those routes for the same-ish price
as a low-cost booked the same amount in advance, then it's good news for
people who can get to Heathrow.

But note that BA will now be charging for seat assignments, and
reportedly have scrapped food on short-haul. So becoming more like a
budget airline.

And I know that classic carriers can't compete on price with the budget
airlines in "many cases" (rather than a few), nor is £20 "much cheaper".
Old October 11th 09, 04:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message
, at
07:51:53 on Sun, 11 Oct 2009, D7666 remarked:
And it many cases it can be much less.

You'll have to quote a few examples, because I've been flying round
Europe at least once a month for the last three or four years, and
I think I've only seen it once (a late evening Brussels-Heathrow with BA
that came in at 26 Euros plus 56 Euro tax (~£70); not that Brussels is
overwhelmed with Budget carriers).

It is possible to get cheaper flights by ''non-LoCo'' airlines, I've
done it.

It's possible, but doesn't happen very often.

The Opodo booking engine is one source - it has found me in the past
very low rate LHR Wien with OS, and LGW MUC with BA. But that is
comparing LHR/LGW like for like.

Yes, I normally check a range of booking engines and site-scrapers.

Old October 11th 09, 04:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 15:07:18 on Sun, 11
Oct 2009, Tim Fenton remarked:
So in the NW, there's little alternative *of any kind* to EZY LPL to
LIS

And that's only one flight every two days. Wouldn't have worked for me
as it's 16.40 depart Lisbon on a Friday, and my meeting wasn't scheduled
to end until 16.30 (and predictably over-ran).

And I wouldn't then be up for hanging around until 16.40 on Sunday to
fly home!!!