Old January 22nd 04, 01:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Luton Airport

I'm flying Luton Airport this Saturday. What's the best way to travel
there from east London? My local stations are West Ham, Plaistow and
Canning Town.

Thanks in advance.

--
message by Robin May, succeeding at failure.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Crime is confusing.

Old January 22nd 04, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote in message . 1.4...
I'm flying Luton Airport this Saturday. What's the best way to travel
there from east London? My local stations are West Ham, Plaistow and
Canning Town.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest Hammersmith & City to Farringdon, then Thameslink to
Luton Airport Parkway (get a fastish service, not an all stops!)

PhilD

Old January 22nd 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:11:49 -0000, "Ishmael Sayle III"
wrote:

Drive

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...
I'm flying Luton Airport this Saturday. What's the best way to travel
there from east London? My local stations are West Ham, Plaistow and
Canning Town.

Thanks in advance.

--
message by Robin May, succeeding at failure.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Crime is confusing.

Not a good idea. Expensive parking at the airport

Keith J Chesworth
www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk
www.happysnapper.com
www.boilerbill.com - main site
www.amerseyferry.co.uk

Old January 22nd 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:

I'm flying Luton Airport this Saturday. What's the best way to travel
there from east London? My local stations are West Ham, Plaistow and
Canning Town.

Take the Hammersmith and City line to Farringdon or King's Cross-St.
Pancras and change to Thameslink (or Midland Mainline, but Thameslink
is more frequent). Fairly obviously, get off at Luton Airport Parkway.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

Matt Ashby
Old January 22nd 04, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
dan dan is offline

Robin May wrote in message . 1.4...
I'm flying Luton Airport this Saturday. What's the best way to travel
there from east London? My local stations are West Ham, Plaistow and
Canning Town.

Thanks in advance.

Hamm and ****ty then change at Farringdon for the Thameslink! Or more
reliable district line and change at blackfriars?

They haven't started the blockade of thameslink yet have they?

PS Luton airport has its own (parkway) station with free shuttle buses
to the airport. If you want to spend a bit more money than thameslink,
midland mainline will get you there in about 10mins less!!
Old January 22nd 04, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Jan 2004 02:15:54 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

I'm flying Luton Airport this Saturday. What's the best way to travel
there from east London? My local stations are West Ham, Plaistow and
Canning Town.

Thanks in advance.

Ignore most of the advice so far, except for 'drive', since Thameslink
is scheduled to be blocked this weekend.

This leaves H & C to St Pancras and then Midland Main Line train to
Luton Airport - one only per hour (at 30 mins past) - or Jubilee Line
Canning Town to West Hampstead and then walk to West Hampstead
Thameslink (10 minutes) for train to Luton Airport, prob. every 15
mins.

Or bus; dunno about that!

--
Peter Lawrence
Old January 22nd 04, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"dan" wrote in message
om...
Robin May wrote in message

. 1.4...
I'm flying Luton Airport this Saturday. What's the best way to travel
there from east London? My local stations are West Ham, Plaistow and
Canning Town.

Thanks in advance.

Hamm and ****ty then change at Farringdon for the Thameslink! Or more
reliable district line and change at blackfriars?

They haven't started the blockade of thameslink yet have they?

PS Luton airport has its own (parkway) station with free shuttle buses
to the airport. If you want to spend a bit more money than thameslink,
midland mainline will get you there in about 10mins less!!

Yes, but Thameslink is much more frequent. And the change between H&C to
Thameslink at Farringdon is quicker and easier with bags than the change
between H&C to MML at St Pancras.

PaulO

Old January 22nd 04, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I'm flying Luton Airport this Saturday. What's the best way to
travel there from east London? My local stations are West Ham,
Plaistow and Canning Town.

Thanks in advance.

Ignore most of the advice so far, except for 'drive', since
Thameslink is scheduled to be blocked this weekend.

Thanks for the info, I could have been in a spot of bother without
knowing that!

This leaves H & C to St Pancras and then Midland Main Line train
to Luton Airport - one only per hour (at 30 mins past)

What are the Midland Main Line ticket prices like and roughly how long
will it take to get to

- or
Jubilee Line Canning Town to West Hampstead and then walk to West
Hampstead Thameslink (10 minutes) for train to Luton Airport,
prob. every 15 mins.

So this will work even with the central London Thameslink stations
shut? And again, what sort of ticket prices and journey times can I
expect?

Thanks to everyone for the information.