Old October 12th 09, 08:14 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

Default Heads up - Panorama tonight, BBC1 8.30pm

Just hate yourself michaelnewport, for what you're worth...

"Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe" a écrit dans le message
de ...
On Oct 12, 9:54 am, "Ian F." wrote:
"Why Hate Ryanair?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n9mdm

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/ryanair...tchet-job-1030...

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....&story=gen-en-...

Ian

--

sounds like the BBC have run out of ideas.....

Why hate the BBC ?

Old October 12th 09, 08:15 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

On Oct 12, 10:06*pm, Arthur Figgis
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:52:35 +0100
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
"Why Hate Ryanair?"
Crossposted to uk.transport.london?

Is Ryanair about to take over the Tube or something?

(Fares 5p for any distance, but 10 pounds a time to
use an escalator).

The alternative being a climbing rope as he'd have closed the stairs
because of the maintenance costs.

How much would it cost to a) carry a dog b) not carry a dog?

--
Arthur Figgis * * * * * * * Surrey, UK

dog = runge ?
Old October 12th 09, 10:05 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
13:07:28 on Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe
remarked:

...there was nothing new or interesting in the programme

It lost credibility for me when they appeared to claim that Electron
cards were not available in the UK. Later they interviewed a lad who had
made several £5 all-inclusive trips, paying by Electron!
Old October 12th 09, 10:55 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 12 Oct, 23:05, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
13:07:28 on Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe
remarked:

...there was nothing new or interesting in the programme

It lost credibility for me when they appeared to claim that Electron
cards were not available in the UK. Later they interviewed a lad who had
made several £5 all-inclusive trips, paying by Electron!

I think they said that UK banks don't issue them (whatever they are).

Nevertheless, a very soft-hitting documentary. The only thing that
really came through at all was the extent to which they see
vulnerability in others as of benefit to them, eg small airports,
aircraft manufacturers and ... inevitably, cash-strapped families.
Old October 13th 09, 12:11 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On 12 Oct, 23:05, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
13:07:28 on Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe
remarked:

...there was nothing new or interesting in the programme

It lost credibility for me when they appeared to claim that Electron
cards were not available in the UK. Later they interviewed a lad who had
made several £5 all-inclusive trips, paying by Electron!

I think they said that UK banks don't issue them (whatever they are).

Electron is basically Visa's equivalent of Solo, requiring fully online
processing and funds to be available in your account to back the
transaction.

Most of the UK banks are now issuing Visa Debit cards with no cheque
guarantee instead of Electron, however. (And, as an aside, the banks
that created Switch are now switching to issuing Visa Debit cards).

Cheers,

Barry

Old October 13th 09, 05:57 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
J B J B is offline

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
...there was nothing new or interesting in the programme

It lost credibility for me when they appeared to claim that Electron cards
were not available in the UK.

I think what they actually said was they 93% (?) of folks didn't have one!!

--
J B

Old October 13th 09, 07:38 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
15:55:42 on Mon, 12 Oct 2009, MIG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Electron m'lud

Nevertheless, a very soft-hitting documentary. The only thing that
really came through at all was the extent to which they see
vulnerability in others as of benefit to them, eg small airports,
aircraft manufacturers and .

It said they drove a hard bargain with their suppliers. Customers
fretting about this is what's know in the trade as "looking in other
people's pockets". Large numbers of businesses are just as hard-nosed,
and in some respects even worse. I bet Ryanair don't also expect Boeing
to give them an extra discount if all the seats on the plane aren't
filled, but I know of businesses who have models that would be analogous
to that!

Interestingly, they didn't allege that Ryanair is slow to pay its bills
(another common characteristic of hard-nosed business). Perhaps that,
and the ability to "sell and forget" is why Boeing (and others) are
happy to do business with them.

... inevitably, cash-strapped families

What are you referring to here? The only "vulnerability" that came up
was the charge for re-printing boarding cards. I agree it's a bit high,
but along with all their other charges, aren't the slightest bit
"hidden". Unlike, for example, the delivery charge I got lumbered with
from Currys last week, which amounted to paying £15 to have them
discharge their WEEE responsibilities (taking away the old TV).
Old October 13th 09, 07:39 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:57:22 on Tue, 13
Oct 2009, J B remarked:
It lost credibility for me when they appeared to claim that Electron
cards were not available in the UK.

I think what they actually said was they 93% (?) of folks didn't have one!!

They said something like that too, but also claimed Electron wasn't
available from UK banks.
Old October 13th 09, 07:41 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message
On 12 Oct, 23:05, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
13:07:28 on Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe
remarked:

...there was nothing new or interesting in the programme

It lost credibility for me when they appeared to claim that Electron
cards were not available in the UK. Later they interviewed a lad who had
made several £5 all-inclusive trips, paying by Electron!

= I think they said that UK banks don't issue them (whatever they are).

And they are wrong

http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/easycash.asp

Keith

Old October 13th 09, 07:44 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

"J B" wrote in message
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
...there was nothing new or interesting in the programme

It lost credibility for me when they appeared to claim that Electron
cards were not available in the UK.

I think what they actually said was they 93% (?) of folks didn't have
one!!

Given that UK banks make their profits on current accounts by charging
exorbitant fees for overdrafts a cynic might suggest thats because an
Electron
Card must have sufficient funds to back all transfers where a Visa card
allows the user to go overdrawn.

Keith