Old October 14th 09, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Evening Standard no longer on trains

In message
,
plcd1 writes

I have seen very few papers being left on trains and very few people
reading them. Previously, when the Londonpaper was alive, most people
would have one of those and / or a Lite. I think I've seen one Lite
this week and very few Standards. It may get worse later than when I
usually travel but previously loads of papers would be left on the
trains when I alighted - not anymore.

I'm noticing a few Standards left on the trains but very few Lites.

I've found I can usually collect a Standard (News Extra) by lunctime.
Is the West End Final still about (I've not been on lates this week)?
I've yet to see one this week.

Old October 14th 09, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 14 Oct, 20:35, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:08:47 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

In message
,
plcd1 writes

I have seen very few papers being left on trains and very few people
reading them. Previously, when the Londonpaper was alive, most people
would have one of those and / or a Lite. I think I've seen one Lite
this week and very few Standards. *It may get worse later than when I
usually travel but previously loads of papers would be left on the
trains when I alighted - not anymore.

I'm noticing a few Standards left on the trains but very few Lites.

I've found I can usually collect a Standard (News Extra) by lunctime.
Is the West End Final still about (I've not been on lates this week)?
I've yet to see one this week.

I don't know but considering the thing is free I do not understand why
the Standard would go to the expense of creating a later edition of the
paper. It's just extra cost set against the same amount of advertising.
As there appears to be little news in the Standard I doubt they are
bothered about being first on the streets with news about things like
the Budget or other events occurring morning or early afternoon that
they would traditionally have reported on.
--
Paul C

I picked one up from a bench that had a totally different front page
from the ones I saw other people with (which I assume they had just
picked up from a stall/flailer). Mine had a front page about student
fees under the Tories, and theirs had a front page about the recession
being over.

Neither seemed to be breaking news.
Old October 14th 09, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, MIG
writes

and theirs had a front page about the recession being over.

Over again?
Old October 14th 09, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 14 Oct, 21:22, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message
, MIG
writes

and theirs had a front page about the recession being over.

Over again?

Great news, innit?
Old October 14th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote on 14 October 2009 20:35:32 ...
wrote:

I've found I can usually collect a Standard (News Extra) by lunctime.
Is the West End Final still about (I've not been on lates this week)?
I've yet to see one this week.

Yes, the West End Final is still being produced, and it gets out to
Chiswick, where the usual guy at his usual pitch offers it outside
Turnham Green station. Seems odd not to give him 50p for it!

I don't know whether the 3rd edition gets printed (Late Night Final?).
Curiously, they've removed the red bars on the spine that used to
indicate which edition you had.

I don't know but considering the thing is free I do not understand why
the Standard would go to the expense of creating a later edition of the
paper. It's just extra cost set against the same amount of advertising.

I guess because more people will pick up a paper with afternoon news in
it than one with morning news that people are more likely to be aware of
already.

As there appears to be little news in the Standard I doubt they are
bothered about being first on the streets with news about things like
the Budget or other events occurring morning or early afternoon that
they would traditionally have reported on.

I think you underestimate the value of the 2 or 3 pages of late news
that the West End Final typically has. If it was worth producing 3
editions previously, the same reasons will still apply. It's about
maximising the exposure of the advertising.
--
Richard J.