Old October 30th 09, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default West London Line - what recession?

"E27002" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 1:49 pm, David Jackson wrote:
The message

from E27002 contains these words:

http://www.jrfielding.com/live/views...StoryIndex=288

Thanks for the link. It's about time that USians had "proper" food
available. The bloke who trims the remains of my hair has relatives in
Transpondia, and he seems to spend his whole holiday over there in the
kitchen, cooking enough real food to fill their freezer so that they'll
be OK until his next visit.

Fortunately World Market now stocks a number of useful British items.
So I needn't forgo PG Tips, or Typhoo. I can make birds custard for
my American apple pie. Branston Pickle is available to give my salads
a slight UK touch. Walker Shortbread and McVities Biscuits Biscuits
(now there is an ambiguous word) are occasional treats.

When I first worked in the US in 1982 I would go crazy for a cup of
real tea. Eventually I would have family members send it over.

On a par with Earl's Court Aussies and Vegemite (axle grease to the average
Yank).

Managed to survive 10 years without it. Sainsbury's Yeast Extract was pretty
darn close.

DW downunder

Old October 30th 09, 08:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Oct 30, 5:55*am, "DW downunder" noname wrote:
"E27002" wrote in message

[...]

Well I am surprised nobody in the Earl's Court area thought to import
Vegemite in bulk. Just out of curiosity I will check if World Market
carries it next time I am there.

Nowadays when I have to spend an extended period in the UK I find
myself wanting: A1 Sauce (Easy have some brung over), American Beef,
and Texas Barbecue. As regards the latter two, the gratification is
that much greater when I return to these US.

There is a slight issue here in Reno, where I am most of the time
these days. We do not have a good Indian restaurant. So that treat
has to wait for my occasional trips to Anaheim.
Old October 31st 09, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

DW downunder wrote:

"E27002" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 1:49 pm, David Jackson wrote:
The message

from E27002 contains these words:

http://www.jrfielding.com/live/views...StoryIndex=288

Thanks for the link. It's about time that USians had "proper" food
available. The bloke who trims the remains of my hair has relatives in
Transpondia, and he seems to spend his whole holiday over there in the
kitchen, cooking enough real food to fill their freezer so that they'll
be OK until his next visit.

Fortunately World Market now stocks a number of useful British items.
So I needn't forgo PG Tips, or Typhoo. I can make birds custard for
my American apple pie. Branston Pickle is available to give my salads
a slight UK touch. Walker Shortbread and McVities Biscuits Biscuits
(now there is an ambiguous word) are occasional treats.

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

--
As through this world I've rambled, I've met plenty of funny men,
Some rob you with a sixgun, some with a fountain pen.

Woody Guthrie
Old October 31st 09, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 31 Oct, 08:54, Martin Edwards wrote:

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

What's with the "now"? I've been buying it from Tesco for at least 10
years. Vegemite with an 'e' in the middle I mean.

Old October 31st 09, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Oct 31, 10:06*pm, contrex wrote:
On 31 Oct, 08:54, Martin Edwards wrote:

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

What's with the "now"? I've been buying it from Tesco for at least 10
years. Vegemite with an 'e' in the middle I mean.

I was able to buy Vegemite from my local Tesco in 1988.

Old October 31st 09, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"John Dennis" wrote in message
On Oct 31, 10:06 pm, contrex wrote:
On 31 Oct, 08:54, Martin Edwards wrote:

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

What's with the "now"? I've been buying it from Tesco for at least 10
years. Vegemite with an 'e' in the middle I mean.

I was able to buy Vegemite from my local Tesco in 1988.

Returned to Oz in 87 - they were a tad slow to respond to the market!!

DW downunder

Old October 31st 09, 11:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"John Dennis" wrote in message
On Oct 31, 10:06 pm, contrex wrote:
On 31 Oct, 08:54, Martin Edwards wrote:

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

What's with the "now"? I've been buying it from Tesco for at least 10
years. Vegemite with an 'e' in the middle I mean.

I was able to buy Vegemite from my local Tesco in 1988.

Returned to Oz in 87 - they were a tad slow to respond to the market!!

DW downunder

sigh Canada's Labelling Police apparently are responsible for the
disappearance of that Most Important Aussie treat from supermarket
shelves over the last year or so.

I have stumbled on a Indo-Fijian food store in the deep Vancouver
suburbs that brings Vegemite in through a back door, but they've
stopped importing the 454g jars and I'm left with grabbing 225g or in
a pinch the tiny 115g jars whch last only a few days...

Old October 31st 09, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 30 Oct, 12:55, "DW downunder" noname wrote:

birds custard for my American apple pie

I think I'd rather have Bird's Custard on my pie than "birds
custard".