Old November 6th 09, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default First Capital Connect strike ...

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

So in this situation Southern already has a duty to take the passengers
and then sort it out with FCC later.

However, SN don't run trains on the Thameslink route. They definitely do
*not* have a duty to carry passengers to Farringdon, especially a passenger
who ought to have purchased a ticket valid (and travelled) via Victoria in
the first place. SN have various discount offers (especially for tix
purchased online) which would make such a ticket considerably cheaper than
the route the OP chose.

D A Stocks

Old November 6th 09, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 00:01:43 -0000, "David A Stocks"
wrote:

However, SN don't run trains on the Thameslink route. They definitely do
*not* have a duty to carry passengers to Farringdon, especially a passenger
who ought to have purchased a ticket valid (and travelled) via Victoria in
the first place. SN have various discount offers (especially for tix
purchased online) which would make such a ticket considerably cheaper than
the route the OP chose.

By comparison, when the "round the side" via Kenny O train is severely
delayed or cancelled, LUL accept tickets from Vic to Euston without
question.

Why get picky about it? It would make more sense to be grown up about
it, as maybe SN might have a problem in future.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old November 7th 09, 08:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Nov, 00:31, "David A Stocks" wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message

... and Southern are NOT accepting FCC tickets.

There is not only a dispute withy drivers on the FCC Bedford -
Brighton route. There is also a dispute between Southern and FCC
about accepting FCC tickets on Southern services.

Today I was at Gatwick having travelled down from Paddington via
Farringdon.

That seems like a bit of a sacrifice - it's far quicker to
travel via Victoria using the Bakerloo/Victoria lines.

I got there OK. However on the return journey in the
evening ALL of the FCC services northwards had been cancelled and my
only option was to travel on Southern to Victoria, and then get the
Circle Line to Paddington.

Uh? Victoria and Bakerloo lines are *much* faster. Even a 36 or 436
bus would be faster.

Interesting point. And yet travel isn't only about speed. There's
also comfort and convenience to consider.

If you're coming from an airport, you've probably got heavy luggage to
carry, so it's often better to take the route with the fewest changes
rather than the quicker one.

(Don't forget, even though Oxford Circus is a cross-platform
interchange, it's often fairly crowded with tourists standing around
looking lost etc., not the sort of place to carry a suitcase easily.)

Besides, even without luggage, many people just plain don't like the
hassle of changing anyway, and will always prefer the civilised
convenience of a journey with fewer changes, even if it is slightly
slower than your preferred route.

Old November 7th 09, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJB" wrote in message

... and Southern are NOT accepting FCC tickets.

There is not only a dispute withy drivers on the FCC Bedford -
Brighton route. There is also a dispute between Southern and FCC
about accepting FCC tickets on Southern services.

Today I was at Gatwick having travelled down from Paddington via
Farringdon.

That seems like a bit of a sacrifice - it's far quicker to
travel via Victoria using the Bakerloo/Victoria lines.

Interesting point. *And yet travel isn't only about speed. *There's
also comfort and convenience to consider.

If you're coming from an airport, you've probably got heavy luggage to
carry, so it's often better to take the route with the fewest changes
rather than the quicker one.

Actually, now I think about it ... Considering what most of the
posters in this group are like, it's possible he just wanted to go
through Blackfriars and see if he could see anything of the building
work there.
Old November 10th 09, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJB" wrote in message

and Southern are NOT accepting FCC tickets.

There is not only a dispute withy drivers on the FCC Bedford -
Brighton route. There is also a dispute between Southern and FCC
about accepting FCC tickets on Southern services.

Today I was at Gatwick having travelled down from Paddington via
Farringdon.

That seems like a bit of a sacrifice - it's far quicker to
travel via Victoria using the Bakerloo/Victoria lines.

I got there OK. However on the return journey in the
evening ALL of the FCC services northwards had been cancelled and my
only option was to travel on Southern to Victoria, and then get the
Circle Line to Paddington.

Uh? Victoria and Bakerloo lines are *much* faster. Even a 36 or 436
bus would be faster.

Interesting point. And yet travel isn't only about speed. There's
also comfort

Most of FCC's rolling stock on the route is extremely uncomfortable - the
exceptions are the 377s and ex-Brighton Express 319s, both of which had
their interiors specified by Southern or their predecessors.

and convenience to consider.

The change at Farringdon is a nightmare in either direction at most times of
day. It has all of the congestion you would find at Oxford Circus,
Paddington and Victoria AND you're forced to negotiate it on long and narrow
staircases instead of escalators or a cross-platform interchange. Using
Farringdon is *not* an intelligent way to reduce the number of changes,
especially as the FCC service crawls through the Thameslink core.

D A Stocks

Old November 12th 09, 07:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJB" wrote in message

[...]

IMHO it's still much better than the cramped little toy-trains on the
Victoria and Bakerloo. (I admit, I'm biased because I'm slightly
claustrophobic. Maybe the original poster is too?)

- the
exceptions are the 377s and ex-Brighton Express 319s, both of which had
their interiors specified by Southern or their predecessors.

and convenience to consider.

The change at Farringdon is a nightmare in either direction at most times of
day. It has all of the congestion you would find at Oxford Circus,
Paddington and Victoria AND you're forced to negotiate it on long and narrow
staircases instead of escalators or a cross-platform interchange. Using
Farringdon is *not* an intelligent way to reduce the number of changes,
especially as the FCC service crawls through the Thameslink core.

Farringdon can get busy in the rush-hours, I'll grant you that, but in
my experience, off-peak it's a lot less crowded than either Oxford
Circus, Paddington or Victoria. And don't forget there's also a lot
of natural daylight at Farringdon, which helps to give the illusion of
space compared to a deep tube station.

Oh, and you mention long staircases, but they're not that long.
They're still quite a bit shorter than the walk from Southern Sussex
Coast platforms at Victoria to the tube ticket hall.

Just accept that what you personally look for in a journey isn't
always what everyone else looks for. Everyone's taste is different.
It's ridiculous for you to claim that everyone "ought" to only make
the sort of journeys that you like.