Old November 20th 09, 06:24 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default First Capital Connect Inspectors strike again ! Allegedly

On Nov 20, 10:18*am, "traction" wrote:
http://www.penaltyfareappeal.co.uk/wordpress/?cat=157

All quotes are from the above site- the allegations are just that.

...We have received a worrying report from a pregnant passenger that was
assaulted by a member of First Capital Connect Staff...
...While she was queuing, the inspector rushed over behind her and told her
that the ticket was not valid for the journey that she had made and would
have to pay an "On the spot Penalty Fare of £20.00" and demanded cash or
credit card payment immediately....
...The inspector then forcefully snatched the passengers Oyster card out of
her hand and said "Ill keep this card and you can do the writing."...
...The passenger stayed with the inspector until the police arrived at the
station, she attempted again to put her case across to the inspector who
told her to "Shut up, your doing my head in". ...
....The inspector put both of her hand on the passengers stomach and pushed
her out of the way shouting "Get out of my F*****g face"...
....The passenger then waited for the police to arrive and take a statement,
after giving all the details the inspector was arrested and taken to a local
police station.....
....We are pleased to announce that the passenger concerned is pressing
charges against the inspector and we will provide any updates once we
receive them....

Wonderful news. Decent people need to stand up to the scum that has
taken over.

Old November 21st 09, 04:37 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

E27002 wrote:
[...]

I walked into an FCC station a few years ago, and before I could walk three
metres to the ticket window an aggressive female (I think men were not her
type) jumped in front of me and demanded to see my ticket, and when I said I
didn't have one yet she talked to me like I was a criminal. I hope it's the
same woman, and I hope she gets imprisoned.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old November 21st 09, 09:55 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 05:37:00 -0000, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

E27002 wrote:
[...]

The problem is, the only people attracted to these sorts of jobs are
almost entirely the wrong kind.

Then give them a uniform ... :-(

Old November 21st 09, 10:55 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Nov 21, 10:55*am, Bruce wrote:

The problem is, the only people attracted to these sorts of jobs are
almost entirely the wrong kind. *

Then give them a uniform ... *:-(

I commute on the Great Northern route and I've always found the
inspectors polite and reasonable, both in their dealings with people
with tickets and the occasional time I see them deal with someone
without one.

Having browsed through the linked articles on the penaltyfareappeal
site and in particular having read the correspondence in the appendix
to their report at http://www.penaltyfareappeal.co.uk/f...9-1-FCCTET.pdf,
it seems to me like FCC made a diligent effort to investigate their
claims and found no evidence to back them up.

Of course nothing would excuse the alleged behaviour listed upthread,
and it may well be that the staff on Thameslink are worse behaved than
on Great Northern.

Ganesh
Old November 21st 09, 12:35 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

to their report athttp://www.penaltyfareappeal.co.uk/files/PFAS2009-1-FCCTET.pdf,
it seems to me like FCC made a diligent effort to investigate their
claims and found no evidence to back them up.

Of course nothing would excuse the alleged behaviour listed upthread,
and it may well be that the staff on Thameslink are worse behaved than
on Great Northern.

Ganesh

I'd agree - I certainly find the staff at my local station
(Letchworth) very helpful, and the same applies to the staff I have
met at Stevenage and Hitchin, for example. It's difficult to
generalise but IMX Thameslink staff were less likely to be helpful -
my pet hate stations were Luton and the late unlamented Kings Cross
Thameslink; at Luton in particular, some staff acted like they were
trainees for the Gestapo.

Old November 21st 09, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

E27002 wrote:
[...]

Not my experience. When we used to see ticket checkers on the 10:15 from
Cambridge to King's Cross they were a delightful bunch of people to know.
Since the ticket barriers we see them rather less often but they remain a
really nice bunch.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 21st 09, 07:36 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 21 Nov, 11:55, Ganesh Sittampalam
wrote:
On Nov 21, 10:55*am, Bruce wrote:

[...]

Having read the entire pdf it does seem that FCC's Revenue team is
doing its job pretty well. The fact that people have made complaints
which are demonstrably unfounded shows that some kind of 'Hate
Campaign' is being waged against these RPIs. These RPIs should
consider taking legal action against these malcontents, possibly
though the penaltyfareappeal.co.uk website itself. It may be the only
way to stop thugs who have been correctly penalized erecting a
smokescreen around their offence by traducing the law-abiding.
Old November 21st 09, 07:49 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Are the ticket required areas well defined and labeled? Obviously
the ticket office should not be in the ticket required area. Where
have the confrontations listed here taken place? Are there adequate
provisions for ticket purchase at the required points? The
enforcement of fares is needed and I would like to see as few barriers
as possible on a system so doing it right is important. If we start
getting decent rail networks in North America, I would like to have
examples of how to do things to point to in England.

Old November 21st 09, 09:05 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Clark F Morris wrote:
Are the ticket required areas well defined and labeled? Obviously
the ticket office should not be in the ticket required area. Where
have the confrontations listed here taken place? Are there adequate
provisions for ticket purchase at the required points? The
enforcement of fares is needed and I would like to see as few barriers
as possible on a system so doing it right is important. If we start
getting decent rail networks in North America, I would like to have
examples of how to do things to point to in England.

Pointing to England as an example of best practice in public transport
is not the way to go. Certainly it is not the place to seek examples of
how to do things.

Look to Europe for examples of how to do things well.

Greg

From Sydney, Australia which is also an example of how not to do things.
Why can't the english speaking (as a native tongue) nations do public
transport properly?
Old November 22nd 09, 09:37 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 05:35:53 -0800 (PST) someone who may be The
Gardener wrote this:-

my pet hate stations were Luton and the late unlamented Kings Cross
Thameslink; at Luton in particular, some staff acted like they were
trainees for the Gestapo.

Really?

I suggest you get a sense of proportion. There are many things wrong
with some railway staff, but none of them come anywhere remotely
near the Gestapo. I knew someone, who died some years ago, who had
every bone in his body broken by the Gestapo, amongst other things.
I have yet to hear of railway staff doing the same thing, but no
doubt you will give us some examples of similar levels of violence
carried out by railway staff.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54