Old November 19th 09, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OEP

"David Jackman" pleasereplytogroup wrote in message
. 109.145...
David Cantrell wrote in
k:

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:24:45PM -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

However getting back to the OP's point, if my understanding is
correct there may be no need for OEPs yet in Southern's trial area,
as it could be fully barriered?

Not sure if Wandsworth Common is, but even if it is, the barriers at
much busier stations, such as, errm, Balham, are just left open late
in the evening, presumably to save on staffing costs.

Wandsworth Common doesn't have barriers.

Is it possible that when you touch in at certain key points an OEP will be
added automatically? After all, if it isn't used it doesn't matter (as far
as I can see).

Old November 19th 09, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Nov, 17:43, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"David Jackman" pleasereplytogroup wrote in message

. 109.145...

David Cantrell wrote in
. uk:

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:24:45PM -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

However getting back to the OP's point, if my understanding is
correct there may be no need for *OEPs yet in Southern's trial area,
as it could be fully barriered?

Not sure if Wandsworth Common is, but even if it is, the barriers at
much busier stations, such as, errm, Balham, are just left open late
in the evening, presumably to save on staffing costs.

Wandsworth Common doesn't have barriers.

Is it possible that when you touch in at certain key points an OEP will be
added automatically? * After all, if it isn't used it doesn't matter (as far
as I can see).

No, because customers who don't touch out when exiting within their
travelcard zones would get charged the "maximum cash fare".
Old November 19th 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Graham Harrison wrote:

"Jim Brittin" [wake up to reply] wrote in
message m...
In article , edward.harrison1
@remove.btinternet.com says...

"peter" wrote in message
What does OEP stand for?

Oh good, glad I'm not the only one.

Same here.

I had assumed Oyster Extension Permit but ready to be educated.

I assumed this after a quick google.

What's one of them? (I don't live in London these days).

AIUI, basically, if you want to use pre-pay to travel beyond your
travelcard validity, as you can freely do on TfL trains, but you want to
do it on NR trains, you need to get a special permit loaded onto your
Oyster beforehand. It's free, but you need to find an Oyster outlet to do
it. If you don't have one, then when you try to touch out, NR grippers
will PF you to death.

tom

--
Tubes are the foul subterranean entrails of the London beast, stuffed
with the day's foetid offerings. -- Tokugawa
Old November 19th 09, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 19 Nov, 20:13, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Graham Harrison wrote:
"Jim Brittin" [wake up to reply] wrote in
rnet.com...

"peter" wrote in message
What does OEP stand for?

Oh good, glad I'm not the only one.

Same here.

I had assumed Oyster Extension Permit but ready to be educated.

I assumed this after a quick google.

What's one of them? * (I don't live in London these days).

AIUI, basically, if you want to use pre-pay to travel beyond your
travelcard validity, as you can freely do on TfL trains, but you want to
do it on NR trains, you need to get a special permit loaded onto your
Oyster beforehand. It's free, but you need to find an Oyster outlet to do
it. If you don't have one, then when you try to touch out, NR grippers
will PF you to death.

I don't think so. If you touch out ungripped, you should be charged
correctly, from what I understood of the previous discussion.

The OEP is for when you get gripped on the train, unable to prove that
you intend to touch out. It's to do with the guilty-till-proven-
innocent principle that applies to Oyster but not to paper travelcards.
Old November 20th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:09:50AM -0000, Graham Harrison wrote:

What's one of them? (I don't live in London these days).

They're a cunning plan by the TOCs to make PAYG a pain in the arse to
use even when they, strictly speaking, accept PAYG. You will need to
get an OEP every time you use PAYG*, and they will only be available
from shops and TfL stations - they will *not* be available at the very
TOC stations at which people will need them.

* not strictly true, there are lots of rules, none of which normal
people can be expected to remember, so they will either break them and
incur penalty fares, or get an OEP even when they don't need to, thus
making PAYG very annoying for the customers, or they just won't use
PAYG. All three would count as a win for the TOCs.

On the bright side, if sendmail is tied up routing spam and pointless
uknot posts, it's not waving its arse around saying "root me!"
-- Peter Corlett, in uknot

Old November 20th 09, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David
Cantrell writes

They're a cunning plan by the TOCs to make PAYG a pain in the arse to
use even when they, strictly speaking, accept PAYG.

Unless I've entirely misunderstood, you don't need an OEP if you are
intending to travel using a PAYG Oyster.

It is only needed if you have a season/travelcard on your Oyster and you
want to use PAYG in order to pay for an out-of-zone journey.
--
Paul Terry
Old November 20th 09, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , David
Cantrell writes

They're a cunning plan by the TOCs to make PAYG a pain in the arse to
use even when they, strictly speaking, accept PAYG.

Unless I've entirely misunderstood, you don't need an OEP if you are
intending to travel using a PAYG Oyster.

It is only needed if you have a season/travelcard on your Oyster and
you want to use PAYG in order to pay for an out-of-zone journey.

That's my understanding too. It will be interesting to see how well they get
that important message across when the official announcements start...

Paul S

Old November 20th 09, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"peter" wrote in message
[...]

In TfL land, isn't this (being the problem of people travelling without
touching out at the far end) handled by charging un-touched-out journeys
at the maximum possible fare? What didn't TOCs like about that?

tom

--
Space Travel is Another Word for Love!
Old November 20th 09, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
th.li...

In TfL land, isn't this (being the problem of people travelling without
touching out at the far end) handled by charging un-touched-out journeys
at the maximum possible fare? What didn't TOCs like about that?

Yes for PAYG, but NOT with travelcard seasons. Someone who touches in within
his season validity and doesn't touch out when arrived in the sticks goes
completely undetected. That is why OEPs only apply to travelcard season
holders using PAYG outside their zones.

Paul S

Old November 24th 09, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:34:31PM +0000, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , David
Cantrell writes
They're a cunning plan by the TOCs to make PAYG a pain in the arse to
use even when they, strictly speaking, accept PAYG.

Unless I've entirely misunderstood, you don't need an OEP if you are
intending to travel using a PAYG Oyster.
It is only needed if you have a season/travelcard on your Oyster and you
want to use PAYG in order to pay for an out-of-zone journey.

Like I said, complicated rules that normal people can't be expected to
remember or understand.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

Immigration: making Britain great since AD43