Old November 17th 09, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OEP

So now that Oyster PAYG is accepted between Victoria and Balham there
are lots of posters up at stations, and announcements at stations. But
none of them that I've seen/heard mention OEPs, so not only are they
hard to understand, they're being kept secret too! Nice little earner
for Southern there in penalty fares!

You are so cynical. And by "cynical", of course, I mean "correct".
-- Kurt Starsinic

Old November 17th 09, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:29:27 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

So now that Oyster PAYG is accepted between Victoria and Balham there
are lots of posters up at stations, and announcements at stations. But
none of them that I've seen/heard mention OEPs, so not only are they
hard to understand, they're being kept secret too!

I thought they were coming later, for further extensions e.g. into
SWT-land? They aren't used in LM-land at present.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old November 17th 09, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

So now that Oyster PAYG is accepted between Victoria and Balham there
are lots of posters up at stations, and announcements at stations. But
none of them that I've seen/heard mention OEPs, so not only are they
hard to understand, they're being kept secret too!

I thought they were coming later, for further extensions e.g. into
SWT-land? They aren't used in LM-land at present.

OEP are to do with extending a travelcard outside its zones, but only
within the overall London Zonal area. AIUI it is a TOC driven requirement to
attempt to deal with pax not touching out. For example, using a Z1-2
travelcard season to enter the system, then not bothering to touch out at
their final destination, say in Z6. The basic TfL system, using normal PAYG
for extensions, accepted the risk of this fraud, because nearly all their
stations have barriers.

However getting back to the OP's point, if my understanding is correct there
may be no need for OEPs yet in Southern's trial area, as it could be fully
barriered?

There hasn't been any indication of Oyster operating way outside the London
zones, except for Watford Junction as now, and a few c2c stations. SWT's
system outside the zones is ITSO spec, as required by DfT.

Paul S

Old November 18th 09, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:24:45PM -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

However getting back to the OP's point, if my understanding is correct there
may be no need for OEPs yet in Southern's trial area, as it could be fully
barriered?

Not sure if Wandsworth Common is, but even if it is, the barriers at
much busier stations, such as, errm, Balham, are just left open late in
the evening, presumably to save on staffing costs.

For every vengeance, there is an equal and opposite revengeance.
-- Cartoon Law X
Old November 18th 09, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote in
k:

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:24:45PM -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

However getting back to the OP's point, if my understanding is
correct there may be no need for OEPs yet in Southern's trial area,
as it could be fully barriered?

Not sure if Wandsworth Common is, but even if it is, the barriers at
much busier stations, such as, errm, Balham, are just left open late
in the evening, presumably to save on staffing costs.

Wandsworth Common doesn't have barriers.

Old November 19th 09, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

What does OEP stand for?

Peter

Old November 19th 09, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"peter" wrote in message
What does OEP stand for?

Peter

Oh good, glad I'm not the only one.

Old November 19th 09, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , edward.harrison1
@remove.btinternet.com says...

"peter" wrote in message
What does OEP stand for?

Peter

Oh good, glad I'm not the only one.

I had assumed Oyster Extension Permit but ready to be educated.
Old November 19th 09, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jim Brittin" [wake up to reply] wrote in
message m...

"peter" wrote in message
What does OEP stand for?

Peter

Oh good, glad I'm not the only one.

I had assumed Oyster Extension Permit but ready to be educated.

What's one of them? (I don't live in London these days).

Old November 19th 09, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"peter" wrote in message
What does OEP stand for?

Peter

Oh good, glad I'm not the only one.

I had assumed Oyster Extension Permit but ready to be educated.

What's one of them? (I don't live in London these days).

Hopefully one of the clever posters will be along soon, I had half-
ignored them because they don't apply to me.

Think they were first mentioned on this group around May.