Showing results 1 to 25 of 61
Search took 0.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Miles Bader
Forum: London Transport March 31st 12, 01:13 AM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
Telephone line numbers, prefixes, and area codes

John Levine writes:
the actual price per minute
(including the incoming calls which mobile users in caller pays areas
incorrectly think are "free") is among the lowest in the...
Forum: London Transport March 31st 12, 01:10 AM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
Telephone line numbers, prefixes, and area codes

Graham Nye writes:
Guy is pointing out that you are cross-
posting to two newsgroups where we call such devices
mobiles.

So if "cellular" is an...
Forum: London Transport March 21st 12, 08:31 PM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
Phone roaming in the US and Canada was card numbers, was cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

" writes:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 22:05:03 +0000, "
Forum: London Transport March 10th 12, 10:01 PM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
card numbers, was cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

Phil writes:
Miles Bader writes:
As Brewers law states, the quality of the beer is inversely proportional
to the price.

Hmm, I don't think I've...
Forum: London Transport March 9th 12, 08:17 PM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader

Phil writes:
As Brewers law states, the quality of the beer is inversely proportional
to the price.

Hmm, I don't think I've _ever_ lived in a place where that's...
Forum: London Transport February 24th 12, 11:50 PM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

Robert Neville writes:
Hand cash over - walk out. If you can do that faster with a credit
card then I'd be interesting in hearing your technique.

Except it doesn't work that...
Forum: London Transport February 24th 12, 12:20 PM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

"Roger Traviss" writes:
Not to mention that using cash makes spending money somewhat more
visceral, which I kinda like... keeps spending down a bit maybe.

I...
Forum: London Transport February 24th 12, 07:59 AM
Replies: 94
Posted By Miles Bader
Plans to start Croxley Rail Link services in 2016

Charles Ellson writes:
So ? Does repetition make something any more true ?

In language? Yes.

-miles

--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to...
Forum: London Transport February 24th 12, 02:47 AM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

David Lesher writes:
I usually have a rule that if I can pay by cash for smaller purchases
then I do that.

Why? If you get points for every purchase, why not charge...
Forum: London Transport January 24th 12, 11:35 PM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

Roland Perry writes:
several pretty lame insults

Is this misc.transport.pot.kettle ?

Wait, it isn't?!

-miles

Forum: London Transport January 24th 12, 09:55 PM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

Roland Perry writes:
I wonder how many retail businesses accept only plastic ?

It's quite difficult to buy airline tickets with cash
(notwithstanding the alarms bells...
Forum: London Transport January 24th 12, 09:15 PM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

writes:
In other words,
smart-card-based POP essentially needs "optional" faregates (which
pass-holders can bypass).

A 'tap' reader is a heck of a lot simpler than...
Forum: London Transport January 24th 12, 12:31 AM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

John Levine writes:
The question yet to be answered is how to verify a passenger's length
of journey on distance-based fare commuter rail systems.

This is not exactly a new...
Forum: London Transport January 22nd 12, 11:39 PM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

Stephen Sprunk writes:
Here in many (if not all) parts of Europe, the price that you pay for
something already has relevant taxes figured in.

That way seems more...
Forum: London Transport January 20th 12, 11:51 PM
Replies: 1,201
Posted By Miles Bader
London Congestion Zone charge

Roland Perry writes:
(I don't think cars without transponders are impaled on spikes).

It would block traffic. Can't have that!

-Miles

--
Is it true that nothing can be...
Forum: London Transport December 28th 11, 12:20 AM
Replies: 204
Posted By Miles Bader
coinage, was bus partitions

John Levine writes:
the value of a penny then is about a dime now.

Is the value in the material or the labor/etc for making them?

If the former, and they don't want to get rid of...
Forum: London Transport December 27th 11, 10:31 PM
Replies: 204
Posted By Miles Bader
bus partitions

Robert Neville writes:
The far more ubiqutous soda and candy vending machines tend to take
nickels, dime and quarters, and if you are really lucky, the have a
working receiver...
Forum: London Transport December 27th 11, 10:21 PM
Replies: 204
Posted By Miles Bader
bus partitions

Neil Williams writes:
SEPTA, unlike NYC, accepts dollar bills on its buses. I don't know
why NYC's fareboxes aren't set up to handle that.

The US could really, really...
Forum: London Transport July 20th 11, 01:35 AM
Replies: 37
Posted By Miles Bader
TfL's bid to control trains has much going for it - Mark Hansford

Arthur Figgis writes:
Get out more, and travel in the real world.

But avoid Spain and Portugal if you don't like metro-style and
tiolet-less trains being used...
Forum: London Transport January 11th 11, 03:55 AM
Replies: 80
Posted By Miles Bader
Crossrail western termunus

"Graham Harrison" writes:
Some of the Indian luxury trains such as the "Deccan Odyssey" have
showers attached to the cabin (Coupe)

Forum: London Transport January 6th 11, 11:03 PM
Replies: 80
Posted By Miles Bader
Crossrail western termunus

"Martin Rich" writes:
I hadn't come across these niceties of 'full' and 'half' baths.

I've only seen those used in real-estate advertisements, presumably to
avoid...
Forum: London Transport January 6th 11, 10:01 PM
Replies: 80
Posted By Miles Bader
Crossrail western termunus

"Why, it's a closet, where we store our water..."

-miles

--
Discriminate, v.i. To note the particulars in which one person or thing is,
if possible, more objectionable than another.
Forum: London Transport January 5th 11, 06:27 AM
Replies: 4
Posted By Miles Bader
The "Third Rail problem"

1506 writes:
They also employed snow cars which would run at night in open sections
with a very hard brush (imagine 2" nails as each bristle) and a grease
to sit on the...
Forum: London Transport December 4th 09, 10:09 PM
Replies: 118
Posted By Miles Bader
DLR Train Captain Texting Whilst 'Driving'

One of the curious features of them as a result is that the windows
are actually LCD panels, and are automatically blanked when it passes
close to apartment buildings.

Was this cheaper...
Forum: London Transport December 3rd 09, 12:46 AM
Replies: 118
Posted By Miles Bader
DLR Train Captain Texting Whilst 'Driving'

"Richard J." writes:
"Due to the mixed operation of automated and conventional trains,
which has been carried out in Nuremberg for a time, and the presence
of...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 61

Forum Jump