Old January 2nd 10, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Unable to pick up Oyster from NR in Jan 10

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 08:19:56 -0600,

wrote:

Hmm. Why is the TfL Single Fare finder still showing the 2009 version,
with only a link to the next fares (2010)?

Looking there I see the off-peak Oyster fare Kings Cross St Pancras to
Putney is now £2.80, 50p more than Kings Cross St Pancras to East
Putney.

Err that's true for the peak tariff but off peak the tube journey costs
£1.80 and the tube / NR journey costs £2.80 (both on PAYG). In the peak
it is £2.30 vs £3.20. Not that that makes things much better if you want
to use NR.

Sorry, I meant that the off-peak Oyster PAYG fare is 50p more.

So much for a zonal fares system! Putney and East Putney are both in
zones 2 and 3.

Yes and the fares were always different and I suspect will always remain
so. It's interesting that everyone thought we were getting a fully
integrated system.

That is what so annoyed South Londoners in 1982 and ever since, something
zonal fares were supposed to fix.

If you want some real fun look up the cash fare for Liverpool St to
Stratford and then look up the cash fare for Liverpool Street to
Maryland. If that's not an example of the world going mad I'm not sure
what is. It's also indicative of what happens when you have the LUL
farescale for one origin / destination pair and the NR one for the
other.

And for extra fun look up Liverpool St (NR) to Stratford and Liverpool
St (LUL) to Stratford. Despite supposedly being on the LUL farescale you
will different PAYG rates - I have queried this one because it makes no
sense to me at all given that the route is interavailable.

Indeed. No doubt there are more nonsenses in this dog's dinner.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old January 2nd 10, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

wrote in message

Hmm. Why is the TfL Single Fare finder still showing the 2009 version,
with only a link to the next fares (2010)?

That'll be because the website editors have been off work for the bank
holiday and weekend - I expect it'll disappear next week.

But if you navigate to 'Tickets' via the TfL home page both fare
finders are equally visible.

Looking there I see the off-peak Oyster fare Kings Cross St Pancras to
Putney is now £2.80, 50p more than Kings Cross St Pancras to East
Putney.

So much for a zonal fares system! Putney and East Putney are both in
zones 2 and 3.

This seems to indicate that despite being a regular poster in
uk.transport.london you've not noticed all the previous discussions
about Oyster on NR.

But if you look for Off-Peak (i.e. involving an overnight stay) Returns to
Putney from Cambridge, the fare to Putney is £21.70 with railcard discount
while that to Zone 2 including East Putney is £21.80. For a day trip there
is the Day Travelcard option, pricing the King's Cross to Putney/East
Putney leg at £4.30 return either way. However, the Oyster railcard
off-peak daily cap is £3.70, so I suppose that will always be better now
for off-peak travel.

The differences between tube, rail, and tube+rail fares are pointed out
in that document 'Mr Thant' linked to for you on the 31st at 1945.

That does not justify the failure to complete London's zonal fares system
and again hits suburban South London hardest. I suppose central government
is as much to blame for this as TFL, but nevertheless it's sad that this
remains unresolved.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 3rd 10, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 15:28:51 +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:

And for extra fun look up Liverpool St (NR) to Stratford and Liverpool
St (LUL) to Stratford. Despite supposedly being on the LUL farescale you
will different PAYG rates - I have queried this one because it makes no
sense to me at all given that the route is interavailable.

As the route is interavailable and the NR fare is cheaper, surely the
NR fare should be charged for both routes?