Old January 1st 10, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New years day service - or lack thereof

We wanted to go up to the new years day parade today - but oh what a surprise
- the tube is doing a 1 train every half hour service in the burbs. Fantastic.
Good to know the people running public transport really have the public
interest at heart.

And have the fares gone up yet too? Wouldn't surprise me.

B2003

Old January 1st 10, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 07:56:34
on Fri, 1 Jan 2010, remarked:
This is no different from last year. Services increase in frequency from
around 1100 or so.

What was different was no free tube travel last night, just buses and
trams, I gather.

The news broadcasts I saw, mentioned "free public transport until
4.30am".
Old January 1st 10, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 1 Jan, 14:08, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 07:56:34 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:52:26 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

We wanted to go up to the new years day parade today - but oh what a
surprise - the tube is doing a 1 train every half hour service in the
burbs. Fantastic. Good to know the people running public transport
really have the public interest at heart.

This is no different from last year. Services increase in frequency from
around 1100 or so.

What was different was no free tube travel last night, just buses and
trams, I gather.

Except, of course, that isn't what was organised. *All tubes, DLR, buses
and trams were free from 2345 to 0430. One NR line - Southern (Victoria
to East Croydon) I think - also ran free. All the other NR lines had to
be paid for as I believe the subsidy was withdrawn as a result of TfL
budget cuts.

It was always a fairly empty gesture anyway, if it was applied
correctly, given that most people would have travelcards or would have
got returns which were a few p more than a single, plus the lack of
checks anyway.

So if it really does affect the budget, I wonder who was claiming what
about the cost of it? Was it NR effectively scamming TfL about some
theoretical amount of revenue that would never have been collected in
practice?

In future, it really could make a difference, because PAYG involves
abolishing day returns and funds are collected without staff.
Old January 1st 10, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

One NR line - Southern
(Victoria to East Croydon) I think - also ran free. All the other NR
lines had to be paid for as I believe the subsidy was withdrawn as a
result of TfL budget cuts.

I thought ING Direct paid for it rather than TfL? Anyway, since everyone had
to pay for their transport to get to the fireworks, the actual subsidy
required to cover the fares for getting home would be relatively small, I
would have thought.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old January 1st 10, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:06:24 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
And have the fares gone up yet too? Wouldn't surprise me.

Tomorrow - I look forward to your post about it.

Can't be bothered. Pay more money , same **** service. Usual story. Luckily
I'm not a tube commuter any longer so its not an issue for me but I feel
sorry for the people who are.

Though perhaps 2010 is the year LU come up with some new excuses - the
regulating the service BS excuse for delaying a train that I heard twice
today is getting rather tired.

B2003

Old January 1st 10, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Barry" wrote in message

This is no different from last year. Services increase in frequency from
around 1100 or so.

What was different was no free tube travel last night, just buses and
trams, I gather.

Tubes were free, I thought? National Rail wasn't, owing to TfL not paying
for it,

In past years, free travel has been sponsored.

Did they not have a sponsor for yesterday?

tim