Old May 13th 10, 08:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Stopping Getting Tail-Gated on Underground / NR

On May 12, 7:21*am, "Willms" wrote:

Am Tue, 11 May 2010 23:46:55 UTC, *schrieb Mizter T
*auf uk.railway :

* Lambada only happens with ticket barriers. Get rid of the barriers,
and there will no more Lambada.

Oh **** off Lueko...

* Lambada tried from your side?

If you mean 'has this happened to me' then someone tried it once,
unsuccessfully, as I gave him a very firm shove and he tumbled to the
ground screaming blue murder at me (scrawny little guy, looked like a
skag addict, which would explain his misplaced fury).

Old May 13th 10, 09:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 May 2010 01:58:56 -0700 (PDT)
Mizter T wrote:
If you mean 'has this happened to me' then someone tried it once,
unsuccessfully, as I gave him a very firm shove and he tumbled to the
ground screaming blue murder at me (scrawny little guy, looked like a
skag addict, which would explain his misplaced fury).

The LU ticket barriers have a major design fault which means its quite
easy to keep the gate open long enough to stroll through it in quite a
relaxed manner once someone has already opened it with their ticket.

B2003

Old May 13th 10, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Willms wrote:

Am Thu, 13 May 2010 07:48:39 UTC, schrieb "solar penguin"
auf uk.railway :

Aren't ticket barriers just another expression of this ideology
which elates personal greed as the supreme virtue?

No, their the expression of an ideology which elates _corporate_
greed as the supreme virtue.

That's an artificial difference. Adam Smith did not make such a
silly statement.

You're right. He would've had proofreaders to check for "they're/their"
errors. ;-)

But my essential point still stands. The biggest trick the capitalists
ever played was tricking people into believing that corporate greed is
somehow the same as personal greed. I'm surprised to see a dedicated
left-winger like yourself falling for it.

Old May 13th 10, 09:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 May 2010 10:42:42 +0100
Jim [wake wrote:
The LU ticket barriers have a major design fault which means its quite
easy to keep the gate open long enough to stroll through it in quite a
relaxed manner once someone has already opened it with their ticket.

B2003

Is this always true?

Maybe one of the group's gurus can tell us whether they open for a
standard interval.

I've found the LU gates at Liverpool Street [Old Broad Street entrance]
are particularly snappy.

It won't just stay open on its own, you have to do something. Thats all I'm
saying. Its a design fault which I'm sure LU are well aware of.

B2003

Old May 13th 10, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article
,
"Willms" wrote:

Am Wed, 12 May 2010 20:02:30 UTC, schrieb Neil Williams
auf uk.railway :

Aren't ticket barriers just another expression of this ideology
which elates personal greed as the supreme virtue?

No, they're an expression of the view that one should pay for services
one receives, when said services are not on offer free of charge.

A quite expensive statement. Why do they not print your above quoted
statement on a poster as an expression of the same sentiment? Paper is
much cheaper than these complicated masses of metal, semiconductors
and plastic, isn't it? I mean just as a statement, you know?

You could print it on a smaller piece of paper and call it a ticket.

Sam
Old May 13th 10, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

So what? My postillion has been struck by lightning!

--
MatSav

Old May 14th 10, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 14 May 2010 10:21:10 +0100, "Tim Fenton"
wrote:

My hovercraft is full of eels.

I won't be asking you to direct me to the railway station, then ;-)

I was trying to think how to refer to that phrase without compromising
myself! Top marks for effort