Old October 18th 10, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Entering and leaving a station within a few moments

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:06:08 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
They still have to get out again. And if they touch their oyster on an
exit gate they'll get stiffed for the maximum fare. Unless they vault over
the gates of course but those sorts of people wouldn't pay anyway.

There are still ways to escape, like via the DLR and some connections to
National Rail.

True. I haven't used the DLR for ages though, but don't the train captains
still check tickets?

B2003

Old October 18th 10, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Roland Perry wrote:
They still have to get out again. And if they touch their oyster on an
exit gate they'll get stiffed for the maximum fare. Unless they vault over
the gates of course but those sorts of people wouldn't pay anyway.

There are still ways to escape, like via the DLR and some connections to
National Rail.

True. I haven't used the DLR for ages though, but don't the train captains
still check tickets?

Yes, fairly often. I was checked last Thursday (last time I used the
DLR). Probly less likely in the rush hour, but one can't rely on
getting through a half hourish journey in the off peak without a check.
Old October 18th 10, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/17/2010 5:29 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:16:43 -0700 (PDT), GSV 3 minds in a can
wrote:

The whole system is a farce.

I think that's an exaggeration. But I do agree that if you touch in
then out again very quickly at the same station such that you couldn't
possibly have made a journey (within, say, 10 minutes), that it should
be free.

Neil

Yes, in the old days of Go As You Please tickets (cardboard tix that
went through the turnstile slot) you could come outside to make a call
or be free to take the bus or walk should the Underground have broken
down. Now you have to debate whether the hassle of trying to get your
fare back is worth your time. Is there a suggestion box for oyster card
improvements? Changing your mind about taking a ride should certainly be
allowable.