Old December 23rd 03, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default reducing congestion

In article ,
says...
Aggreed. There are plenty of jobs about. Before I went to University I did
several jobs to get by...

Gardening
Avis RentaCar delivery driver
Taxi driver
Taxi controller

The taxi jobs especially made me feel realy down but my family needed
feeding and clothing. I could either sit on my arse for £120 per week or do
those jobs for £140 per week. That extra £20 meant dealing with drunks and
lowlifes, but it gave us £20 more self respect.

Agreed on that.
When I went back to uni as a mature student, I worked almost full time
hours (including evening and weekend shifts) in most of the Ladbrokes in
the Crewe and Luton area.

I too had drunks, vandals, and various unsavouries (including conmen and
armed robbers) to deal with. ironically, working weekends and evening,
and doing the amount of hours I was doing, I could sometimes bring home
more than a manager.

As it was my degree suffered (english lit), but I was able to get into
the internet development business in London.

After moving back north for a job, things didn't work out, and I lost
it. I ended up first signing on, then labouring for a shed building
company as a seasonal job (brother worked there as a driver/erector) for
6 months, another 3 months on the dole, then got 3 months working for a
company that had the Dell laptop contract for the whole of europe as an
agency temp, before I was able to get back in web dev work.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Old December 23rd 03, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Colin Bignell wrote:

I suspect the same would be true in parts of Britain, but I don't
know the housing situation well enough across the country to be able
to give specific examples from the UK. Although second home owners
are blamed for pushing prices up in rural areas, they probably first
went there because the locals wanted better wages than they could get
locally, so they moved out, depressing the local house market and
making the houses cheap enough to attract outside buyers.

Actually where I am second home owners came because it's a nice place. And
house prices weren't depressed, they merely weren't inflated - locals
weren't moving out, but there wasn't the growth as seen in the SE.

clive

Old December 23rd 03, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In article , Greg
Hennessy wrote:
Try the nationalised planning system courtesy of the town and
country planning act 1947.

A spiteful piece of legislation whose only purpose was to
outlaw the mechanism by which 1.5+ million privately built,
financed and *affordable* houses in the 20s and 30s. Couldn't
have that doncha know.

But, as you imply, the Conservatives, far from scrapping it,
have embraced and extended it for their own ends. You'll hear
them harp on about the need to accept the discipline of market
forces when you are shutting down a mine or steelworks, but not
when someone wants to replace a suburban bungalow or two with a
block of flats.

--
Tony Bryer

Old December 23rd 03, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message

But, as you imply, the Conservatives, far from scrapping it,
have embraced and extended it for their own ends. You'll hear
them harp on about the need to accept the discipline of market
forces when you are shutting down a mine or steelworks, but not
when someone wants to replace a suburban bungalow or two with a
block of flats.

Well you don't want the poor to move in and lower the tone of the area.

Old December 23rd 03, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 01:26:29 +0000 (UTC), "Cast_Iron"
wrote:

If you can't understand your own posts and responses to them I suggest you
go to school and learn.

I can fully understand my posts, unlike the emoting idiot who is drawing
inferences where none clearly exist.

greg

--
Once you try my burger baby,you'll grow a new thyroid gland.
I said just eat my burger, baby,make you smart as Charlie Chan.
Old December 23rd 03, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:15:45 -0000, "JNugent"
wrote:

GH made a point about how little of SE England is built on, that's all
(AAMOF, I don't agree with him about the need for planning controls - I am a
supporter of planning controls - but we can live with that).

I am a supporter of planning controls, but not the nationalised variety.

greg

Old December 23rd 03, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Mikael Armstrong wrote:
"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Mikael Armstrong wrote:
"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Mikael Armstrong wrote:
"Robin May" wrote in
message
.4...
Living many miles away from where you work and having
travel a long distance to get there is something that
should be discouraged. Not encouraged so that the rich
can
buy another castle and leave it empty for most of the
year.

Very true, so why not let people build a few more houses
in
such areas? The main problem is the lack of supply that
is
driving up the prices.

errrr, no. The only thing driving up house prices is
greed.

So why do we not have the same situation with cars? Cars
themselves can be bought for less now than ever in real
terms. This is due to the fact that there is far greater
supply so people buying cars can shop around for a good
deal. The laws of supply and demand will always work
things
out, and in the housing market, the market is artificially
being held high by restricting supply.

If you were to take note of news broadcasts you would have
noticed that the present government took action to force
down the price of cars.

Another part of the reason is that houses last
considerably longer than cars generally speaking. But just
for the hell of it, see what price you would have to pay
for a Mk1 Cortina now, it will be significantly above it
price when new.

The government action to reduce the price of cars has not
really made much difference. Cars are still even cheaper in
other EU countries. The main reduction in price of cars
between now and 20 years ago has been increased competition
in the market, increased efficiency in car production and
fewer trade restrictions.

Thankfully we have a far greater choice these days and
don't have to buy Mk1 Cortinas. People who wish to buy
"classic cars" are obviously free to do so.

Hmmm, You compared the difference in price rises between cars and houses.

used the analogy of a Mk1 Cortina to illustrate that cars also increse in
value over time.

Is using an analogy something you are not familair with?

No, I am completely familiar with it. I was pointing out that unlike the
housing market where every house except those ready for demolition have
appreciated in value. On the other hand, it is only the cars that people
deem as "classics" that generally ever appreciate given a few exceptions.
This means that the average person can still afford to purchase a car, which
is not the case in the housing market. If the only cars people could buy
were MK1 Cortinas, and no new cars were being built, I would imagine that
the cost of them would have gone even higher!

Mikael