Old May 29th 12, 09:09 PM
Junior Member

Default Moving to London on the Jubilee weekend?

Hi All,

I知 moving from Birmingham to a new flat in the London Bridge area. Due to the contract and when my new job starts, I need to move down either this Friday 1st June or Saturday 2nd. Unfortunately, because of the Jubilee weekend, I know the traffic getting to London Bridge is probably going to be horrific.

Driving down on the Friday means hitting the congestion charge and possibly rush hour, but going on the Saturday one risks all the traffic from the tens of thousands of tourists making their way into London for the Jubilee. In your opinion, which day do you think would be best to drive from Birmingham to London Bridge?

Thanks for any advice.

Old May 29th 12, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5/29/2012 5:09 PM, Marco wrote:
Hi All,

I知 moving from Birmingham to a new flat in the London Bridge area. Due
to the contract and when my new job starts, I need to move down either
this Friday 1st June or Saturday 2nd. Unfortunately, because of the
Jubilee weekend, I know the traffic getting to London Bridge is probably
going to be horrific.

Driving down on the Friday means hitting the congestion charge and
possibly rush hour, but going on the Saturday one risks all the traffic
from the tens of thousands of tourists making their way into London for
the Jubilee. In your opinion, which day do you think would be best to
drive from Birmingham to London Bridge?

Thanks for any advice.

Saturday. I think regular tourists have been scared away. Londoners will
stay home (or already be in the country). Only politicians will be on
the road. Hmmm, on second thought...
Old May 29th 12, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/05/2012 22:43, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2012 22:09:29 +0100, Marco
wrote:

Hi All,

I知 moving from Birmingham to a new flat in the London Bridge area. Due
to the contract and when my new job starts, I need to move down either
this Friday 1st June or Saturday 2nd. Unfortunately, because of the
Jubilee weekend, I know the traffic getting to London Bridge is probably
going to be horrific.

Driving down on the Friday means hitting the congestion charge and
possibly rush hour, but going on the Saturday one risks all the traffic
from the tens of thousands of tourists making their way into London for
the Jubilee. In your opinion, which day do you think would be best to
drive from Birmingham to London Bridge?

Thanks for any advice.

I think I'd opt for the Saturday if you are driving because the City
area is far quieter than on a weekday. Fridays are ridiculously busy
and with it being a long bank holiday weekend I don't think I would
want to be travelling then or encountering the drunken hordes in and
around the City.

While some people will be travelling on Saturday I doubt there will be
the tens of thousands you are predicting but then I am not
particularly enthused about the Diamond Jubillee.

You need to consider that you will be marooned on one side of the
River on the Sunday due to the very extensive diversions and closures
because of the river pageant. There are also road closures on the
following two days. More info from TfL at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/23610.aspx

The crucial point being that the big river pageant thing is on Sunday,
as opposed to Saturday. I'd agree with opting for Saturday too, though
I'd prefer to arrive earlier rather than later in the evening given the
potential for river pageant preparation disruption (does somewhat depend
on where the flat is - the closer to the riverside, the more the potential).
Old May 30th 12, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm going to go against the grain and say Friday. However, it will
only work if you're prepared to go late. I used to regularly drive from
Maidenhead to Castle Cary (bear with me!) down the A303 past Stonehenge on a
Friday. You'd think that would be horrendous particularly in Summer or on
Bank Holidays. However, I discovered that if I didn't leave until about
1930/2000 I would sail through. I would suggest that if you leave
Birmingham about 1930 and come down the M40 and don't expect to rush you
should be on the outskirts of London about 2130/2200 and any "day" traffic
will be coming out of London and the congestion charge won't apply by that
time.

Old May 30th 12, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 30 May 2012 16:38:42 +0100
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Maidenhead to Castle Cary (bear with me!) down the A303 past Stonehenge on a
Friday. You'd think that would be horrendous particularly in Summer or on
Bank Holidays. However, I discovered that if I didn't leave until about

What a sad sight the stonehenge area is. Its got all the awe and reverance of a
branch of Greggs. Except the sausage rolls cost more.

B2003

Old May 30th 12, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Maidenhead to Castle Cary (bear with me!) down the A303 past Stonehenge on
Friday. You'd think that would be horrendous particularly in Summer or
on
Bank Holidays. However, I discovered that if I didn't leave until about

What a sad sight the stonehenge area is. Its got all the awe and reverance
of a
branch of Greggs. Except the sausage rolls cost more.

B2003

Couldn't agree more.

Old May 30th 12, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/05/2012 22:09, Marco wrote:
Hi All,

I知 moving from Birmingham to a new flat in the London Bridge area. Due
to the contract and when my new job starts, I need to move down either
this Friday 1st June or Saturday 2nd. Unfortunately, because of the
Jubilee weekend, I know the traffic getting to London Bridge is probably
going to be horrific.

Driving down on the Friday means hitting the congestion charge and
possibly rush hour, but going on the Saturday one risks all the traffic
from the tens of thousands of tourists making their way into London for
the Jubilee. In your opinion, which day do you think would be best to
drive from Birmingham to London Bridge?

Thanks for any advice.

Picked a hell of a weekend to be moving to London. Is there any possible
way that you might set up some temporary accommodation, such as stay
with a friend and bring only what you need, and then carry out the full
move the weekend?
Old May 31st 12, 06:58 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On 29/05/2012 22:09, Marco wrote:
Hi All,

I’m moving from Birmingham to a new flat in the London Bridge area. Due
to the contract and when my new job starts, I need to move down either
this Friday 1st June or Saturday 2nd. Unfortunately, because of the
Jubilee weekend, I know the traffic getting to London Bridge is probably
going to be horrific.

Driving down on the Friday means hitting the congestion charge and
possibly rush hour, but going on the Saturday one risks all the traffic
from the tens of thousands of tourists making their way into London for
the Jubilee. In your opinion, which day do you think would be best to
drive from Birmingham to London Bridge?

Thanks for any advice.

Picked a hell of a weekend to be moving to London. Is there any possible
way that you might set up some temporary accommodation, such as stay
with a friend and bring only what you need, and then carry out the full
move the weekend?
Yeah I certainly did. In hindsight I should have probably delayed it by a week. It was because of my new job in London, and they wanted me to start obviously asap once I had served my notice in my previous job.

It should only take one journey to move everything down as I'm moving out of "home" and only renting a flat , so I'll be able to leave a lot of stuff behind.

Last edited by Marco : May 31st 12 at 07:03 PM
Old May 31st 12, 07:02 PM
Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies. As it is my parents who would be driving me to London and they need to get back to Birmingham, and given the general consensus here, I think I'll be moving down on the Saturday. Will let you know how it goes depending on when I can get the internet in the new place!
Old May 31st 12, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

-
Picked a hell of a weekend to be moving to London. Is there any possible

way that you might set up some temporary accommodation, such as stay
with a friend and bring only what you need, and then carry out the full
move the weekend?

Yeah I certainly did. In hindsight I should have probably delayed it by
a week. It was because of my new job in London, and they wanted me to
start obviously asap once I had served my notice in my previous job.

It should only take one journey to move everything down as I'm moving
out of "home" and only renting a flat , so I'll be able to leave a lot
of stuff behind.

I do honestly wish you luck.