Old June 20th 12, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Don't fly BA during the Olympics

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:01:10 on Wed,
20 Jun 2012, Graham Harrison
remarked:
I'm also surprised how
low Singapore Airlines comes. It pioneered the city state hub business
model that Emirates now uses, but has been comprehensively overtaken.

I thought that was Cathay Pacific (city hub in Hong Kong), bicbw.
-- Roland Perry

I think it depends on your definition of a hub. CX have been around
longer than SQ and have always operated out of HKG. However, the extent
to which they ran their network so that people could fly to HKG and out
again to their destination even when they started operating Electras and
later 880s is perhaps questionable. There's no doubt it happened but for
many years I suspect it was a happy coincidence rather than a planned
operation. Remember that on many routes they probably only operated once a
day and that they were restricted to operating within East Asia for many
years so that BOAC was protected against competition.

My very first International flight (in approx 1983) was Cathay Pacific to
Hong Kong with a connection to Osaka. Going out, the flight from the UK
was non-stop to HK, but coming back we had a refuelling stop somewhere. I
completely forget where, but in retrospect it was probably Bahrain.

Our company favoured CP at the time because, iirc, their business class
had a checked baggage allowance of "N Pieces", completely irrespective of
how big or heavy it was. People were literally sending cabin trunks back
and forth.

What SQ became known for was bringing flights in from Europe to SIN,
shuffling the passengers and sending them on to Australasia. My memory
suggests they were doing that before CX was able to break out of its' East
Asian home and start operating intercontinentally.

So what year did you have in mind for that?

Cathay was around in the 40s and 50s in a very small way but only started
operating to London in the very early 80s (followed by Vancouver).
Singapore Airlines took over all the Singapore based routes os Malaysian
Singapore Airlines in 1972 and started serving London in 1973.

Old June 20th 12, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:44:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

I've heard that BA are launching a marketing campaign today, aimed at
persuading Brits to "stay at home" during the Olympics.

It's one way of keeping Terminal 5 from clogging up, I suppose.

Apparently some of their colleagues in the travel trade are not
impressed, in case it's taken as a more general plea to the public not
to take holidays during that period. And after all, the tidal flow of
Brits fleeing the country is exactly opposite to that of the athletes
and spectators.

I noticed this BAA page about Heathrow's preparations for the games:
http://www.heathrowairport.com/about-us/host-airport-of-the-2012-games?description=ht-intro&src=ELH205&CMP=ELH205

Here's a few of the stats that caught my attention:
31 check-in lanes at the temporary Games Terminal diverting 10,100
athletes and 38,000 bags away from the main terminals.

3,000 CCTV cameras in Terminal 5 alone.

6,405 Paralympians' wheelchairs passing through the airport – some
teams with more than 100.

20,000 non-EU Olympic athletes and officials required to submit
facial, fingerprint and biometric data to enter Britain.

80% of Games passengers to be welcomed at Heathrow -- that's
equivalent to 250 jumbo jets full.

13 August 2012 (the day after the Closing Ceremony of the Olympic
Games) will be the busiest day in Heathrow's history. [I just realised
I'll be flying out of T5 on 15 August -- hope the crowds have abated a
bit by then!]

200,000 bags expected on the peak day compared to 150,000 on a normal
day.
Old June 21st 12, 06:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:36:45 on
Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Recliner remarked:

80% of Games passengers to be welcomed at Heathrow

And the other 20% not welcome?

Old June 25th 12, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Why not have a look at the advert for yourself and make your own mind up

http://www.youtube.com/user/flybriti...e=results_main

If you "like" BA on Facebook there's a version on there that asks for your
post code and then replaces the bit where the plane goes over a road hump
with some Streetview? footage out of the window as the plane taxis down your
street. * I hate to think how it got past my house, the lane is only wide
enough for a car and has high hedges and even buildings right by the road!!!

Interestingly this is an own goal by BA the much campaigned for
Third Runway.

Residents can use the film / app. to see what it would be like with
planes taxiing past their about to be demolished homes.

CJB
Old June 25th 12, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 01:30:50 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

Why not have a look at the advert for yourself and make your own mind up

http://www.youtube.com/user/flybriti...e=results_main

If you "like" BA on Facebook there's a version on there that asks for
your
post code and then replaces the bit where the plane goes over a road
hump
with some Streetview? footage out of the window as the plane taxis down
your
street. I hate to think how it got past my house, the lane is only wide
enough for a car and has high hedges and even buildings right by the
road!!!

Interestingly this is an own goal by BA the much campaigned for
Third Runway.

Residents can use the film / app. to see what it would be like with
planes taxiing past their about to be demolished homes.

You do have the most bizarre world view. The video thing is a bit of
fun not an expression of impending doom.
--
Paul C

I agree with you Paul. But I wouldn't put it past an anti 3rd runway group
to use it in a manner similar to that described by CJB.

Old June 25th 12, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6/21/2012 2:11 AM, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:36:45 on
Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Recliner remarked:

80% of Games passengers to be welcomed at Heathrow

And the other 20% not welcome?

For some reason I can see the ad, but there is no sound. I'm in the US,
maybe it's their way of disallowing it? After all, they wouldn't want us
NOT to fly to London and see the games.

I like what I saw. It reminds me of dreams I have had -- being aboard a
plane and finding it driving along a highway (and then into a tunnel.
The wings! I'd get pretty scared.) My dreamscape would always be dark
and murky, though. That's the diff.

Anyway, I'm sure they're saying stay home and support the games; drive
in if you must, but you'll probably hit a lot of bumps in traffic. And
there won't be any place to leave your vehicle.

As for your question above, Mr Perry -- the other 20% come in at
Stanstead or Gatwick perhaps?

Old June 25th 12, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:22:38
on Mon, 25 Jun 2012, redcat remarked:
80% of Games passengers to be welcomed at Heathrow

And the other 20% not welcome?

As for your question above, Mr Perry -- the other 20% come in at
Stanstead or Gatwick perhaps?

Or, God forbid, Eurostar?

Old June 25th 12, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6/25/2012 5:18 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:22:38
on Mon, 25 Jun 2012, redcat remarked:
80% of Games passengers to be welcomed at Heathrow

And the other 20% not welcome?

As for your question above, Mr Perry -- the other 20% come in at
Stanstead or Gatwick perhaps?

Or, God forbid, Eurostar?

They put wings on it??

;-)

Old June 26th 12, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:12:03
on Mon, 25 Jun 2012, redcat remarked:

80% of Games passengers to be welcomed at Heathrow

And the other 20% not welcome?

As for your question above, Mr Perry -- the other 20% come in at
Stanstead or Gatwick perhaps?

Or, God forbid, Eurostar?

They put wings on it??

It doesn't need wings, although the planes bringing 80% of the
passengers to Heathrow do.
Old June 27th 12, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

wrote:

[...]

Yes they would certainly use it in that manner if it suited their
purpose.

CJB