Old June 16th 13, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default BBC2 "Airport Live" from Heathrow

Four hour long 'live' programmes (though presumably with much
pre-recorded content) about the operations of Heathrow are on BBC2 at
8pm from Monday to Thursday this coming week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018t3xg

Hopefully should be of interest - there's certainly enough raw material
at one of the world's busiest airports.

Old June 16th 13, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:45:48 +0100, Mizter T
wrote:

Four hour long 'live' programmes (though presumably with much
pre-recorded content) about the operations of Heathrow are on BBC2 at
8pm from Monday to Thursday this coming week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018t3xg

Hopefully should be of interest - there's certainly enough raw material
at one of the world's busiest airports.

Yes, and the team they have on it are all reasonably serious
presenters, so hopefully it won't be anything like the telegenic
character docusoaps that have previous been based in Heathrow and
Luton (that focused mainly on passengers who'd forgotten their
passports, etc). NATS has been tweeting about it for a few weeks now,
and so seems to be fully behind it.
Old June 16th 13, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

hopefully it won't be anything like the telegenic
character docusoaps that have previous been based in Heathrow

Seeing more of the operations side of Heathrow would be good, but I have to say
I thought the original Airport wasn't half bad. Stuart (Animal Control), Anita
(VIP Services), the VIP photographers...
Old June 16th 13, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 07:21:39 -0600, Robert Neville
wrote:

Recliner wrote:

hopefully it won't be anything like the telegenic
character docusoaps that have previous been based in Heathrow

Seeing more of the operations side of Heathrow would be good, but I have to say
I thought the original Airport wasn't half bad. Stuart (Animal Control), Anita
(VIP Services), the VIP photographers...

Yes, that was a lot better than the easyJet series based in Luton. But
it still didn't have nearly as much as I'd have liked on the airside
or operations.

Do you remember the Air Canada ground purser (I forget his official
title) who featured in a few episodes? He once sorted out my
pre-selected seat which had been wrongly (but deliberately) occupied
by another passenger.

I wonder how many of those regular characters still work there?
Old June 16th 13, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

Yes, that was a lot better than the easyJet series based in Luton.

The interesting thing about that one is that many of the staff who featured
in it still work there, and are recognisable - but perhaps not quite as
young

I guess they're a good employer. Certainly, unlike another airline I'm
sure everyone knows of, they seem generally to be cheerful and helpful.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

Old June 16th 13, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
Recliner wrote:

Yes, that was a lot better than the easyJet series based in Luton.

The interesting thing about that one is that many of the staff who featured
in it still work there, and are recognisable - but perhaps not quite as
young

I guess they're a good employer. Certainly, unlike another airline I'm
sure everyone knows of, they seem generally to be cheerful and helpful.

But how many of the airport staff actually worked for easyJet itself? I
though most worked for the ground handling agent, Menzies, despite wearing
eJ uniforms.
Old June 16th 13, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

But how many of the airport staff actually worked for easyJet itself? I
though most worked for the ground handling agent, Menzies, despite wearing
eJ uniforms.

Fair point, "they" included both EZY and the agents.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old June 16th 13, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
Recliner wrote:

But how many of the airport staff actually worked for easyJet itself? I
though most worked for the ground handling agent, Menzies, despite wearing
eJ uniforms.

Fair point, "they" included both EZY and the agents.

Of course, it could be that even agency staff enjoy working with EZY as
opposed to certain other low cost airlines. EZY does seem to be a likeable
organisation for both its customers and staff, including agents. The only
person who appears no longer to like it is Stellios (who wants dividends he
can invest in his other companies, not growth).
Old June 17th 13, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Four hour long 'live' programmes (though presumably with much
pre-recorded content) about the operations of Heathrow are on BBC2 at 8pm
from Monday to Thursday this coming week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018t3xg

Hopefully should be of interest - there's certainly enough raw material
at one of the world's busiest airports.

This is the hashtag for the programmes: #airportlive
Old June 17th 13, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Four hour long 'live' programmes (though presumably with much
pre-recorded content) about the operations of Heathrow are on BBC2 at 8pm
from Monday to Thursday this coming week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018t3xg

Hopefully should be of interest - there's certainly enough raw material
at one of the world's busiest airports.

Well, I thought it was really good. I know a lot about flying, and still
learned a lot. They also had live access to the control tower, which was
pretty impressive. And I liked the way Dallas was trying out the First
class suite on an SIA plane on live TV with the passenger possibly watching
the programme live from the departure lounge. I also think they wove the
recorded segments in with the live action very smoothly.

I only spotted one error, when Anita Rani said that the runways had to be
longer for the A380 -- that's one of the few things that didn't need
modifying, as A380s don't need longer runways than other long haul jets.

I wonder how much warning Kate Humble had that she'd be standing in for Dan
Snow? I don't think she's an aviation geek, so must have had to bone up
quite a bit.