A London Transport forum. London Banter

Hayes (Kent) line

Old February 1st 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
The Only Living Boy in New Cross

Default Hayes (Kent) line

Does anyone know anything about any proposals for the future of this
line? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the section from
Elmers End to Hayes was nearly closed a few years ago and only kept
open because of residents' protests. I'm just asking 'cos I'm
considering moving there and don't want to suddenly be without a train
service!

Patrick
Old February 1st 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Aidan Stanger

The Only Living Boy in New Cross wrote:

Does anyone know anything about any proposals for the future of this
line? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the section from
Elmers End to Hayes was nearly closed a few years ago and only kept
open because of residents' protests. I'm just asking 'cos I'm
considering moving there and don't want to suddenly be without a train
service!

You don't say what you mean by "a few years ago" but I suspect it was
before the idea of converting the Addiscombe branch to tramway had taken
off.

Now there's nowhere else for the trains to go except Beckenham Junction,
and the TOC has decided that all trains on the normal timetable should
serve Hayes and not Beckenham Junction, ITYF the line's future is
secure!
Old February 3rd 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
juvenal

"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
m...

Not now the SRA control SET!! All trains will now go to/from Cannon
Street with NOTHING to Charing Cross, not even in the peaks! Looking
at the other cuts, the medway valley line having 2 of its stations
reduced to 1 train PER WEEK, a lot of stations getting cuts in
service, it all indicates to me the SRA basically want to close down
the whole SET!

Do you have any further info on this? It will certainly make a big
difference to my own journeys.

Old February 4th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"juvenal" wrote in message ...
"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
m...

Not now the SRA control SET!! All trains will now go to/from Cannon
Street with NOTHING to Charing Cross, not even in the peaks! Looking
at the other cuts, the medway valley line having 2 of its stations
reduced to 1 train PER WEEK, a lot of stations getting cuts in
service, it all indicates to me the SRA basically want to close down
the whole SET!

Do you have any further info on this? It will certainly make a big
difference to my own journeys.

There was a proposal some time ago for lots of services to terminate
at Cannon Street, and generally regularise services, so that instead
of stations having many different possible destinations (e.g. trains
from Lewisham can go to Cannon Street, Blackfriars, Charing Cross or
Victoria), they would only have one destination all day. The Hayes
and Greenwich lines were all going to terminate at Cannon Street. No
idea what became of this proposal, though; I didn't realise it was
still live until I saw that post. It might also have had something to
do with Thameslink 3000-if-you're-lucky.

Patrick
Old February 8th 04, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
juvenal

"The Only Living Boy in New Cross" wrote in
message om...
"juvenal" wrote in message

"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Patrick! You aren't, by any chance, a luminary of a certain newspaper
talkboard?