Old March 11th 14, 08:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Bob Crow dead

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 21:17:57 +0000, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

On 11/03/2014 16:13, Recliner wrote:

Many of those commuters are Telegraph readers. Here's its surprisingly
rapid obituary

They have the obituaries of suitably famous people ready and waiting for
years, they don't wait until someone actually croaks before writing them.

Ditto with the obituary films on television which often get re-edited
as a tribute to the ones who outrun the Grim Reaper.

Old March 11th 14, 08:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 11/03/2014 21:26, Recliner wrote:
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 11/03/2014 16:13, Recliner wrote:

Many of those commuters are Telegraph readers. Here's its surprisingly
rapid obituary

They have the obituaries of suitably famous people ready and waiting for
years, they don't wait until someone actually croaks before writing them.

Yes, of course, but I didn't expect them to be so well prepared for a
52-year old.

They've got to be ready - imagine being a newspaper or broadcaster which
had thought "Diana's only 36", "Elvis is only 42", etc.

Or maybe they bumped him off...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old March 11th 14, 09:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 11/03/2014 16:13, Recliner wrote:

Many of those commuters are Telegraph readers. Here's its surprisingly
rapid obituary

They have the obituaries of suitably famous people ready and waiting for
years, they don't wait until someone actually croaks before writing them.

Yes, of course, but I didn't expect them to be so well prepared for a
52-year old.

They've got to be ready - imagine being a newspaper or broadcaster which
had thought "Diana's only 36", "Elvis is only 42", etc.

Or maybe they bumped him off...

I hear there were rumours of a peer riding an unlit racehorse away
from the scene.
Old March 12th 14, 12:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:38:06 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

On 11/03/2014 11:34, Albert wrote:

On 11/03/2014 10:22, Paul Corfield wrote:
Recliner wrote:

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-...bob-crow-dies/

Interesting to listen to a decent set of comments from the BBC's
Norman Smith about Bob Crow. He recognised that Mr Crow was a shrewd
political operator and good in dealing with the media. I can't recall
when I heard anyone give a decent overview of the man rather than just
portray him as a villain.
Mr Crow's appearance on the Sunday Politics a few weeks ago was great
fun with him offering to take over from Andrew Neil - provided he got
Mr Neil's money for doing so.
I dread to think what the "rent a gobs" in the comments section in the
Daily Mail and Evening Standard will make of the news.

All in all, not as bad as it could be.

I love the quote from Bob about Thatcher: ‘I won’t shed one single tear
over her death. She destroyed the NHS and destroyed industry in this
country and as far as I'm concerned she can rot in hell.’

I rather think she heard the words "Well done, good and faithful
servant; .... Enter into the joy of your lord."

Actually, there must be people all over the country (but especially
among the commuting population of the Home Counties) who are ever so
slightly tempted to say something similar of Mr Crow - but are far too
polite and fair-minded to do so.

Indeed. At this time Mr. Crow's family and friends are suffering an
irreplaceable loss. The do not need to their dear one lambasted in
public.

So they either stay silent or follow the widely-observed social
convention that "any man's death diminishes me" and extend sympathy and
condolences to Mr Crow's family, colleagues and friends.

That is exactly so. Harold Wilson was a man who IMHO caused great
damage to the United Kingdom. His death was not something over which
I rejoiced. There were those suffering an acute sense of loss. It
never occured to me that someone's death was something about which one
rejoiced.

And quite right too.

Mr. Nugent you have shown yourself a gentleman. Your contribution to
this thread is appreciated.

There are other posters of noble spirit here of course. Mr. Gorton is
the epitemony of the genteel person which during my childhood we were
encourage to admire, and seek to emulate. Further to the left we have
Mr. Masson, a man generous to a fault sharing his abundant knowledge.
Mr. Price is always on hand to clearly express a left of centre view.
He does it inoffensively; he just makes his case sans rancor. If I
have left out anyone of refined, well mannered, distinction it was
certainly not deliberate.

At the time of the late Baroness Thatcher's passing, I was more than
dismayed at the vicious show of meanness exhibited in uk.railway. I
learned just how low some of the group's low-lifes are. The lack of
dignity, decency, even humanity was disturbing. My kill file grew
greatly that week. Surely the Thatcher family and those who loved her
deserved time, and respect, as they dealt with their grief.

So, again, thank you. It is good to read the words of a decent,
humane, poster.
--

http://www.991fmtalk.com/ The DMZ in Reno
Old March 12th 14, 07:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 11/03/2014 16:13, Recliner wrote:

Many of those commuters are Telegraph readers. Here's its surprisingly
rapid obituary

They have the obituaries of suitably famous people ready and waiting for
years, they don't wait until someone actually croaks before writing them.

Yes, of course, but I didn't expect them to be so well prepared for a
52-year old.

They'd have had one sketched out for him from the moment he became head
of the union.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old March 12th 14, 07:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 11/03/2014 16:13, Recliner wrote:

Many of those commuters are Telegraph readers. Here's its surprisingly
rapid obituary

They have the obituaries of suitably famous people ready and waiting for
years, they don't wait until someone actually croaks before writing
them.

Yes, of course, but I didn't expect them to be so well prepared for a
52-year old.

They've got to be ready - imagine being a newspaper or broadcaster which
had thought "Diana's only 36", "Elvis is only 42", etc.

Or maybe they bumped him off...

It was Elvis driving the Fiat Panda.

Old March 12th 14, 10:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

[...]

Thank you for a well reasoned exposition although I am not sure I am
really quite as genteel as you portray!
I share your assessment of Harold Wilson, considering him as - well,
slippery is the kindest epithet I can think of. There is only one
other prime minister who, in my opinion, shared that characteristic
but as he is still in the land of the living, I will not name him.

Guy Gorton
Old March 12th 14, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:22:41AM +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:

I dread to think what the "rent a gobs" in the comments section in the
Daily Mail and Evening Standard will make of the news.

When I looked at the Telegraph article it took about two inches for the
readers' comments to compare him to Hitler.

" Suppose... there should be a law made that all black men should
be imprisoned, it would be unreasonable and we had as little
reason to quarrel with other men for being of different
[religious] opinions as for being of different complexions. "

-- James II, King of England
overthrown by bigots for his tolerant beliefs
Old March 12th 14, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-03-12 12:27:08 +0000, David Cantrell said:

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:22:41AM +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:

I dread to think what the "rent a gobs" in the comments section in the
Daily Mail and Evening Standard will make of the news.

When I looked at the Telegraph article it took about two inches for the
readers' comments to compare him to Hitler.

Didn't Crow try to set up the Third Rail.

E.