Old May 1st 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Old A-Zs of London

Can anyone help?

Old Ordnance Survey maps, and old bus maps (through the excellent Mike
Harris website) are easy to get hold of, but can anyone suggest a bookshop
that sells old London A-Zs?

Thanks in advance

The Absent Minded Professor

Old May 1st 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The Absent Minded Professor wrote:
Can anyone help?

Old Ordnance Survey maps, and old bus maps (through the excellent
Mike Harris website) are easy to get hold of, but can anyone suggest
a bookshop that sells old London A-Zs?

You could try the bookstore at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre @
Quainton Road - I was in there a while back and they're packed with
lots of old railway-related merchandise, some of which appeared to be
A-Zs.

Old May 1st 05, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"The Absent Minded Professor"
myfirstnames@surnameyearofbirthadotgoesherefreese rve.co.uk wrote in
message ...
Can anyone help?

Old Ordnance Survey maps, and old bus maps (through the excellent Mike
Harris website) are easy to get hold of, but can anyone suggest a bookshop
that sells old London A-Zs?

Thanks in advance

The Absent Minded Professor

There are a couple on eBay at the moment, one originally priced at 3/6d.

Old May 2nd 05, 05:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:01:17 +0100, "The Absent Minded Professor"
myfirstnames@surnameyearofbirthadotgoesherefreese rve.co.uk wrote:

Old Ordnance Survey maps, and old bus maps (through the excellent Mike
Harris website) are easy to get hold of, but can anyone suggest a bookshop
that sells old London A-Zs?

Amazon.co.uk sells used books. The oldest I found for sale was 1950, but I
wasn't trying hard.

Old May 2nd 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kevin Bean" wrote in message

There are a couple on eBay at the moment, one originally priced at 3/6d.

I have bought a few old A-Zs on eBay; they come up quite regularly so you
should be able to get what you want there.

Tony

Old May 2nd 05, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tony Wilson" a@a wrote in message

I have bought a few old A-Zs on eBay;

Could anyone with a decent collection please pin down when Southwell Rd HA3
was built? Bonus points if anyone can tell me why it was built. TIA.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 3rd 05, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 May 2005, John Rowland wrote:

"Tony Wilson" a@a wrote in message

I have bought a few old A-Zs on eBay;

Could anyone with a decent collection please pin down when Southwell Rd
HA3 was built? Bonus points if anyone can tell me why it was built. TIA.

I'm intrigued. Why is it interesting why it was built?

tom

--
vote love

Old May 3rd 05, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , John Rowland
writes
Could anyone with a decent collection please pin down when Southwell Rd
HA3 was built? Bonus points if anyone can tell me why it was built. TIA.

It's not in Bartholemew's 1940, so must be post war.
--
Thoss
Old May 3rd 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes

Could anyone with a decent collection please pin down when Southwell Rd HA3
was built?

It is not shown in my 1948 Bartholomew Reference Atlas (which also shows
the top end of adjacent Shaftesbury Avenue as still under construction.

It still doesn't appear in the 1961 edition, although Shaftesbury Avenue
is clearly completed by then.

Southwell Road *does* appear in my 1988 Geographia - so some time
between 1961 and 1988 look likely. Hope that helps - perhaps someone
else can pin the date down more precisely.
--
Paul Terry
Old May 3rd 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Terry
writes
In message , John Rowland
writes

Could anyone with a decent collection please pin down when Southwell Rd HA3
was built?

It is not shown in my 1948 Bartholomew Reference Atlas (which also shows
the top end of adjacent Shaftesbury Avenue as still under construction.

It still doesn't appear in the 1961 edition, although Shaftesbury Avenue
is clearly completed by then.

Southwell Road *does* appear in my 1988 Geographia - so some time
between 1961 and 1988 look likely. Hope that helps - perhaps someone
else can pin the date down more precisely.

I can narrow the dates down a little: it's in the 1981 AA Greater
London Street Atlas, but not in the Geographia Greater London Atlas 11th
edition, which I have pencilled in as 1963. Why are street atlases so
often undated but have NEW emblazoned across the covers?

Incidentally and somewhat OT, I note from the Bartholomew Pocket London
Atlas 1939 that in the period 1937-9 Vaughan Road, Lambeth, was renamed
Southwell Road. I wonder why.
--
Thoss

Old London street scenes jrb London Transport 3 September 7th 08 12:41 PM
London Broadgate station and that old fashioned 'junction' suffix 1506 London Transport 34 June 4th 08 06:59 AM
Old BR logo on London Underground Neill London Transport 43 January 2nd 08 06:31 PM
Old London street name [email protected] London Transport 7 February 25th 06 06:34 AM
A Moorgate to London Bridge Tunnel (Old chestnut) Jim Brown London Transport 65 October 15th 04 09:20 PM