Old July 7th 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU chaos

"Neillw001" wrote in message
oups.com...
This won't do a lot for my fear of travelling on the underground.
Someone has said the bus that was bombed was in fact a no.13 from
Marble Arch to Hackney. Is this correct?

I think it was number 30 from Hackney to Marble Arch: "most of the right
facts but not necessarily in the right order"

Old July 7th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Andrew
writes

I'm desperately trying to make a posting which doesn't seem as though taxi
drivers will be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of making
extra money. Believe me they will be amongst the first to condemn any act
of terrorism.

Indeed, and some have been involved in helping convey 'walking wounded'
people to hospitals.

There is one fact which has troubled me for some time and that is the
number of 'minicabs' who come and go to many of our most 'protected'
businesses, each of which may have a driver who's criminal records cannot
be verified - unlike the vetting that the fully licensed 'black' cab has
to go through.

that is a very good point. Perhaps more should be done to regulate the
minicab business.

The regulations are in place. Trouble is there is little or no
enforcement. On the odd occasions when the police manage t o get a
conviction the courts impose low sentences.

I write articles for one of the taxi trade newspapers and was recently
taken by the taxi marshals (volunteers who get no pay) to Terminal 4 at
Heathrow. The touts were so blatant. How long before someone is raped or
murdered by someone calling themselves a 'taxi'? Any one who wants a
copy of the article (it is long) send me a private e-mail, but be warned
it may take a little time for me to send it.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old July 7th 05, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It was on diversion apparently, perhaps the plan was for the bomb to go
off elsewhere.

Neill

Old July 7th 05, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

At least 33 dead, police not sure about number of dead from bus
incident

Neill

Old July 7th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Neillw001 writes
At least 33 dead, police not sure about number of dead from bus
incident

A doctor from the BMA (opposite) said without hesitation on a BBC report
I hear driving home earlier that there were ten dead on the bus.
Although the BBC studio man later added that this was not an officially
confirmed figure, the doctor said it with sufficient certainly to make
me take it seriously.

This really is a terrible, terrible thing and the people affected by it
are very much in my and I'm sure everyone else's thoughts.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old July 7th 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

A doctor from the BMA (opposite) said without hesitation on a BBC report
I hear driving home earlier that there were ten dead on the bus.
Although the BBC studio man later added that this was not an officially
confirmed figure, the doctor said it with sufficient certainly to make
me take it seriously.

10 dead, 9 critical.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07...be_explosions/
Old July 7th 05, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Piccadilly was presumably worse for deaths becuase it was in a tube
tunnel rather than a wider cut and cover one.
Friend in the Home Office is telling me the figure is 45 but they won't
release it as they're not sure becuase of the bus.

Neill