Old July 8th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Which way were the trains going?

If you look at a map the explosion occured just south of the junction
with Woburn Place and Endsleigh Place, or possibly right on the
junction. I'm judging this from the position of vehicles in various
photos. The front of the bus is facing south, away from Euston Road.
Another few seconds and it would have been at the end of Bernard
Street. Russell Square station is a short way up this road, but the
bomber was not to know this.
According to the BBC timetable, Kings Cross/Russell Square bomb went
off at 8.56 on a train travelling south from Kings Cross. It went off
in the first carriage, which presumably meant passengers were evacuated
from the rear back towards Kings X. Again, the bomber would probably
not have known this was the preferred evacuation method.
The bus explosion occured at 9.47, about fifty minutes later. Looking
at this evidence however, I can't see how it was planned to go off
outside a Kings X rescue operation, no matter in what direction it was
travelling. The timings don't fit the theory.
If we are to believe the story of the agiated passenger, I believe the
intention was for that bomb to go off elsewhere, possibly on another
Underground train.
Looking at the available evidence I think it isn't right to try and
draw any conclusions. People who post here and on other similar forums
have a far greater knowledge of the working of the transport system
than most people, let alone a group of Muslim fanatics. I don't think
there was any real pattern to the bombings, this is a transport system
in London in the rush hour for goodness sake! The more I look at it the
more I come to the conclusion the bombs were intended for the tube,
with the bus one going wrong.

Neill

Old July 9th 05, 12:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

does anyone have any further info on the piccadilly line train?

Old July 9th 05, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article op.stlq76b0w13aik@stephen, Dockland
writes
The destination board on the bus clearly shows "Hackney Wick"
suggesting it was travelling from Marble Arch to Hackney. This would
make sense as if it was on diversion because of Kings X you wouldn't
be travelling southbound from Euston to Russell Square - it would be
after KX if you were headed for Marble Arch.

At 9:30 nothing was moving eastwards past Kings Cross because of the
people in the street and the emergency services presence. On the other
hand, traffic *was* still moving westbound.

A few minutes later it had stopped. By the time I heard the bus
explosion, about 10 or 15 buses were queued from Thameslink station back
along the Pentonville Road towards Angel.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old July 9th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

There are now witness accounts correcting the Edgware Road explosion time
to 8:50.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Hello Colin,

if you are referring to reports of the statement made by Sarah Reid,
then I understand she was commenting on being involved in the Aldgate
incident, not the Edgware road one. I couldn't find any references to
a different time for the Edgware road explosion - please post links if
you know different.

As far as I can tell from the reports, the explosions were on a
westbound train between Edgware Road and Paddington, a southbound train
between King's Cross and Russell Square, and a train between Liverpool
Street and Aldgate. The direction of travel of the last train is
unclear. It's also not clear what train stock was affected and what
service it was running - not that it's particularly important, but the
media have been very confused, mixing up Aldgate, Aldgate East, Circle
Line, H&C and so on.

It's all a very good example of the 'fog of war', and I wouldn't be
surprised if the same level of confusion afflicted the emergency
services, what with the initial reports of a 'power surge', then 7 or 8
explosions, confusion in the location of the bus between Tavistock
Square and Upper Woburn Place (was it one bus or two), and reports of
suspicious packages at Baker Street and Stockwell as well as other
places.

One of the better consensus opinions of what happened is probably at
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_...ndon_bombings),
which, given its collaborative nature, is presumed to tend towards an
accurate account of what most people believe happened (which may not,
of course, be what *actually* happened).

Regards,

Sid

Old July 9th 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

As far as I can tell from the reports, the explosions were on a
westbound train between Edgware Road and Paddington, a southbound train
between King's Cross and Russell Square, and a train between Liverpool
Street and Aldgate. The direction of travel of the last train is
unclear.

I've just seen a personal account of the last one and the train was
travelling from Liverpool Street toward Aldgate. Unusually the passengers
were evacuated forwards (past the bomb site) to Aldgate, rather than
backwards to Liverpool Street. This might have led to people assuming that
the trains was travelling from Aldgate to Liverpool Street.

Old July 9th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

As far as I can tell from the reports, the explosions were on a
westbound train between Edgware Road and Paddington, a southbound train
between King's Cross and Russell Square, and a train between Liverpool
Street and Aldgate. The direction of travel of the last train is
unclear.

I have a friend who was on the north bound platform at Lv. St when the bomb
exploded and he says that it happened almost immediately after a southbound
train had left. He is adamant that the explosion was on that train. I have
pointed out that he only heard the bomb, not saw it, so it is possible that
it was on a northbound train yet to arrive at Lv. St. He still thinks that
could not be the case given the interval and the fact that my scenario would
likely have caused two trains to be involved.

Sorry, still not definitive but it's the best I can do. :-)
--
Malcolm

Old July 9th 05, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

London Underground have confirmed that the Liv. St train was heading on
the outer circle rail from Liverpool St towards Aldgate, although looking
at the actual software system maps they used to show the location and
direction of the trains it looked to me as if it was headed for Aldgate
East.

The Edgware Rd train was heading from Baker Street towards Paddington.

An eyewitness I have seen interviewed on the Picadilly train said he got
on at Finsbury Park.

LU computer system diagrams also confirm all three bombs went off within
50 seconds of each other at 8.50am.

Old July 9th 05, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dockland" wrote in message
newsp.stnf8gztw13aik@stephen...
London Underground have confirmed that the Liv. St train was heading on
the outer circle rail from Liverpool St towards Aldgate, although looking
at the actual software system maps they used to show the location and
direction of the trains it looked to me as if it was headed for Aldgate
East.

The Edgware Rd train was heading from Baker Street towards Paddington.

An eyewitness I have seen interviewed on the Picadilly train said he got
on at Finsbury Park.

LU computer system diagrams also confirm all three bombs went off within
50 seconds of each other at 8.50am.

Interesting that the BBC still haven't corrected the times and directions on
their "definitive" map
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ml/default.stm.

I wonder how the times of the Edgware and KX bombs were initally reported so
accurately - but wrongly.

Old July 9th 05, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:08:30 +0100, Dockland
wrote:

London Underground have confirmed that the Liv. St train was heading on
the outer circle rail from Liverpool St towards Aldgate, although looking
at the actual software system maps they used to show the location and
direction of the trains it looked to me as if it was headed for Aldgate
East.

The Edgware Rd train was heading from Baker Street towards Paddington.

An eyewitness I have seen interviewed on the Picadilly train said he got
on at Finsbury Park.

LU computer system diagrams also confirm all three bombs went off within
50 seconds of each other at 8.50am.

We only have the computer system info for the two Circle line trains.
The train was definitely an outer rail circle heading for Aldgate. At
the point of what must have been the explosion we got a fair bit of
spurious data which shows up as extra tracks occupied. The piccadilly
confirmation apparently comes from the time the tunnel telephone went
down.