Old December 15th 05, 03:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Solar-powered bus stops

I've not seen these mentioned here yet, so:

They're solar-powered. They glow in the dark. They have a cool blue
button that makes the backlight for the paper timetables glow a bit
brighter.

"Thousands of solar powered bus stops that light up automatically at
dusk are set to transform the gloomy experience of waiting for a bus
at night in the UK's capital."...
(http://optics.org/articles/news/11/9/19)

Everything I could possibly want from a bus stop, apart from a shelter
that actually keeps the wind and rain off. And an actual bus, of
course.

There are several on the 222 route, if anyone's particularly keen to
try one out...

Henry

Old December 15th 05, 06:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 Dec 2005 20:14:05 -0800, Henry
wrote in .com:
I've not seen these mentioned here yet, so:

They're solar-powered. They glow in the dark. They have a cool blue
button that makes the backlight for the paper timetables glow a bit
brighter.

"Thousands of solar powered bus stops that light up automatically at
dusk are set to transform the gloomy experience of waiting for a bus
at night in the UK's capital."...
(http://optics.org/articles/news/11/9/19)

Everything I could possibly want from a bus stop, apart from a shelter
that actually keeps the wind and rain off. And an actual bus, of
course.

There are several on the 222 route, if anyone's particularly keen to
try one out...

I noticed a blue light on the one at the Philpott's Bridge stop
as I walked past last night and thought, "Funny, I've not seen that
before." There was a lone woman waiting for the bus so I decided against
stopping to investigate just then.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old December 15th 05, 06:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 Dec 2005 20:14:05 -0800, "Henry" wrote:

I've not seen these mentioned here yet, so:

They're solar-powered. They glow in the dark. They have a cool blue
button that makes the backlight for the paper timetables glow a bit
brighter.

Darkness doesn't prevent me from reading the paper timetables -- existing
streetlights do the job just fine. But spray-painted graffiti makes it really
hard to read anything, even in daylight. The £7.9 million would be better spent
on low-tech solutions to such vandalism, IMHO.
Old December 15th 05, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

DERWENT Solar-powered bus stops
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:33:34 +0000, Marc Brett

On 14 Dec 2005 20:14:05 -0800, "Henry" wrote:

I've not seen these mentioned here yet, so:

They're solar-powered. They glow in the dark. They have a cool blue
button that makes the backlight for the paper timetables glow a bit
brighter.

Darkness doesn't prevent me from reading the paper timetables -- existing
streetlights do the job just fine.

No they don't. The timetables on the two bus stops I use on a regular
basis are unreadable at night because the street lights don't cast any
light onto the timetable boards. In neither case would simply rotating
the timetable board 90° fix the issue.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett