Old November 8th 04, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Too many bus stops in london?

Stuck in a traffic jam again this morning caused (surprise surprise)
by a bus crawling along the road and stopping in the middle of it even when
it could pull into the bus stop, I suddenly wondered why it was deemed
necessary to have a bus stop every 200 hundred metres. Are the people who
use the bus too bone idle to be able to walk more than the length of a
football pitch to get to the stop? Reducing the stops by half would mean that
the jam I was in (and probably hundreds of others) would move at double the
speed (maybe even the heady heights of 15mph, woo!). Surely this would be
one way of reducing jams in the city? (And anyone who tells me that I should
be in the bus instead of my car anyway can just save their typing right now
because if they think I'm changing twice and spending probably 90 mins in 3
juddering buses and waiting in the rain to travel 9 miles they're living in
dreamland. If the tube or train was an option I'd use them but they arn't.)

B2003

Old November 8th 04, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(Boltar)typed

Stuck in a traffic jam again this morning caused (surprise surprise)
by a bus crawling along the road and stopping in the middle of it even when
it could pull into the bus stop,

Knowing that, if he pulled into a bus stop, London's considerate drivers
would not let him out.

I suddenly wondered why it was deemed
necessary to have a bus stop every 200 hundred metres.

They are only closely spaced when separated by major junctions that are
difficult to cross on foot IME. Otherwise, the spacing is closer to 400
metres.

Are the people who
use the bus too bone idle to be able to walk more than the length of a
football pitch to get to the stop?

I AM NOT BONE IDLE; I AM DISABLED!

Many people who use buses are elderly or disabled, or both. Destinations
or start points might be some way from bus stops, like on side streets
for example.

You are obviously using a car which takes you, near enough from door to door.
I see you have one standard for your convenience and comfort and another
for mine. Lovely!

Reducing the stops by half would mean that
the jam I was in (and probably hundreds of others) would move at double the
speed (maybe even the heady heights of 15mph, woo!). Surely this would be
one way of reducing jams in the city?

Another way of reducing jams in London would be to reduce unnecessary
car journeys.

(And anyone who tells me that I should
be in the bus instead of my car anyway can just save their typing right now
because if they think I'm changing twice and spending probably 90 mins in 3
juddering buses and waiting in the rain to travel 9 miles they're living in
dreamland. If the tube or train was an option I'd use them but they arn't.)

Get a bicycle then.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.
Old November 8th 04, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

I suddenly wondered why it was deemed necessary
to have a bus stop every 200 hundred metres.

Is it?

Bus stops tend to be located near important side roads, so that people who
may already have walked the length of several football pitches to get to the
bus route don't have to walk any further to get to the stop.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 8th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" typed

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

I suddenly wondered why it was deemed necessary
to have a bus stop every 200 hundred metres.

Is it?

Bus stops tend to be located near important side roads, so that people who
may already have walked the length of several football pitches to get to the
bus route don't have to walk any further to get to the stop.

Some people might be carrying heavy shopping or wriggly babies too...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 8th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in message ...
(Boltar)typed

Stuck in a traffic jam again this morning caused (surprise surprise)
by a bus crawling along the road and stopping in the middle of it even when
it could pull into the bus stop,

Knowing that, if he pulled into a bus stop, London's considerate drivers
would not let him out.

Irrelevant. He's supposed to pull into stops. If he doesn't then he's not
doing his job properly aside from the fact that it risks boarding passengers
getting hit by undertaking cyclists or bikers.

They are only closely spaced when separated by major junctions that are
difficult to cross on foot IME. Otherwise, the spacing is closer to 400
metres.

400 metres? You must be joking. Not from what I've seen.

Are the people who
use the bus too bone idle to be able to walk more than the length of a
football pitch to get to the stop?

I AM NOT BONE IDLE; I AM DISABLED!

Then how do you fit your wheelchair on the bus then in the rush hour?
And why can't you use one of those special council run disabled services?

Another way of reducing jams in London would be to reduce unnecessary
car journeys.

Some however are necessary.

(And anyone who tells me that I should
be in the bus instead of my car anyway can just save their typing right now
because if they think I'm changing twice and spending probably 90 mins in 3
juddering buses and waiting in the rain to travel 9 miles they're living in
dreamland. If the tube or train was an option I'd use them but they arn't.)

Get a bicycle then.

Thanks for the standard issue right-on reply. Very helpful. Besides I
don't fancy cycling on the north circular as I'd rather like to live for more
than a week and aside from which I doubt my boss would appreciate me arriving
sweaty/wet/tired/ill.

B2003

Old November 8th 04, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in message ...
"John Rowland" typed

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

I suddenly wondered why it was deemed necessary
to have a bus stop every 200 hundred metres.

Is it?

Bus stops tend to be located near important side roads, so that people who
may already have walked the length of several football pitches to get to the
bus route don't have to walk any further to get to the stop.

Some people might be carrying heavy shopping or wriggly babies too...

Though as a heavy bus user myself I think there could be a
rationalisation of some of the stops. I note all the above points but
some of the spacing is rather close leading to much frustration to the
bus passengers as well.

Jim
Old November 8th 04, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 8 Nov 2004:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in message
. ..

Are the people who
use the bus too bone idle to be able to walk more than the length of a
football pitch to get to the stop?

I AM NOT BONE IDLE; I AM DISABLED!

Then how do you fit your wheelchair on the bus then in the rush hour?
And why can't you use one of those special council run disabled services?

Do feel free to point out where Helen said she used a wheelchair?

Why do you make such an assumption - I know loads of people who are
disabled (including my sister-in-law and my nephew) who don't use a
wheelchair.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old November 8th 04, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Boltar
writes
Stuck in a traffic jam again this morning caused (surprise surprise)
by a bus crawling along the road and stopping in the middle of it even when
it could pull into the bus stop, I suddenly wondered why it was deemed
necessary to have a bus stop every 200 hundred metres. Are the people who
use the bus too bone idle to be able to walk more than the length of a
football pitch to get to the stop?

I take it you would be all in favour of the proposed West London Tram,
because that would drastically cut down the number of stops along
Uxbridge Road. It's one of the best arguments against the tram, IMHO.

--
Thoss
Old November 8th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes

They are only closely spaced when separated by major junctions that are
difficult to cross on foot IME. Otherwise, the spacing is closer to 400
metres.

I have to say that most of the bus stops around here (SW14) are much
closer together than that - 200 metres would probably be average.

When catching a bus, one is very grateful for the short walk, but when
on the bus one tends to get very irritated that the bus stops so
horribly frequently.

--
Paul Terry