Old September 7th 04, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Letters at bus stops

Our local stops have recently received letters. Those round the Bricklayer's
Arms roundabout have two letter codes beginning "B" (BC, BQ etc); further
down the Old Kent Road, the prefix is "E" for stops towards New Cross and
"W" for those heading into town. I'm assuming this is for East and West.

These codes currently serve no function whatsoever - the area isn't
spider-mapped, and there isn't even a "where to catch your bus" poster. Does
the appearance of these letters mean that maps like these are likely to
appear soon, or could there be another reason?

Thanks,
Jonn

Old September 7th 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:00:50 +0000 (UTC), "Jonn Elledge"
wrote:

Our local stops have recently received letters. Those round the Bricklayer's
Arms roundabout have two letter codes beginning "B" (BC, BQ etc); further
down the Old Kent Road, the prefix is "E" for stops towards New Cross and
"W" for those heading into town. I'm assuming this is for East and West.

These codes currently serve no function whatsoever - the area isn't
spider-mapped, and there isn't even a "where to catch your bus" poster. Does
the appearance of these letters mean that maps like these are likely to
appear soon, or could there be another reason?

I don't know the area, but do the maps at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/borough.shtml or
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/lewisham.shtml make any sense of
this?

Cheers,

Jason.
Old September 7th 04, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Our local stops have recently received letters. Those round the

Bricklayer's
Arms roundabout have two letter codes beginning "B" (BC, BQ etc); further
down the Old Kent Road, the prefix is "E" for stops towards New Cross and
"W" for those heading into town. I'm assuming this is for East and West.

These codes currently serve no function whatsoever - the area isn't
spider-mapped, and there isn't even a "where to catch your bus" poster.

Does
the appearance of these letters mean that maps like these are likely to
appear soon, or could there be another reason?

I don't know the area, but do the maps at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/borough.shtml or
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/lewisham.shtml make any sense of
this?

Sadly not. The relevent borough is Southwark, but there are no maps listed
for Old Kent Road or Bricklayer's Arms. I don't think it helps that it's one
of those identity-less areas that only exists to get between other areas,
wedged somewhere between Bermondsey, Borough, Elephant and Peckham. If there
was a spider map I don't think they'd be quite sure what to call it (estate
agent speak used to be "SoBo", but since a rather nice cafe-cum-art-gallery
popped up with the name as an ironic joke they've rather gone off the idea).
MAybe that's the problem, come to think of it...

Thanks for your help though.

Cheers,
Jonn

Old September 7th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonn Elledge" typed

Our local stops have recently received letters. Those round the Bricklayer's
Arms roundabout have two letter codes beginning "B" (BC, BQ etc); further
down the Old Kent Road, the prefix is "E" for stops towards New Cross and
"W" for those heading into town. I'm assuming this is for East and West.

These codes currently serve no function whatsoever - the area isn't
spider-mapped, and there isn't even a "where to catch your bus" poster. Does
the appearance of these letters mean that maps like these are likely to
appear soon, or could there be another reason?

Guesses:
'Where to catch your bus' maps will appear soon
'Continuing your Journey from ***Station' maps are/wil be distributed
from *** Station.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 7th 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Jonn Elledge" typed

Our local stops have recently received letters. Those round the

Bricklayer's
Arms roundabout have two letter codes beginning "B" (BC, BQ etc);

further
down the Old Kent Road, the prefix is "E" for stops towards New Cross

and
"W" for those heading into town. I'm assuming this is for East and West.

These codes currently serve no function whatsoever - the area isn't
spider-mapped, and there isn't even a "where to catch your bus" poster.

Does
the appearance of these letters mean that maps like these are likely to
appear soon, or could there be another reason?

Guesses:
'Where to catch your bus' maps will appear soon

That's my guess, though I'm still hoping for spidermaps.

'Continuing your Journey from ***Station' maps are/wil be distributed
from *** Station.

Heh. If we had a station round here, we wouldn't be in this mess... Bus only
zone I'm afraid; but as it's only 20 minutes walk from the City I tend to
walk everywhere anyway.

Jonn

Old September 7th 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message
Our local stops have recently received letters. Those round the
Bricklayer's
Arms roundabout have two letter codes beginning "B" (BC, BQ etc); further
down the Old Kent Road, the prefix is "E" for stops towards New Cross and
"W" for those heading into town. I'm assuming this is for East and West.

These codes currently serve no function whatsoever - the area isn't
spider-mapped, and there isn't even a "where to catch your bus" poster.
Does
the appearance of these letters mean that maps like these are likely to
appear soon, or could there be another reason?

Thanks,
Jonn

Our local bus stops were labelled a few months ago and, hey presto, a Spider
map appeared a few weeks later as well. So your guess could be correct!

Old September 7th 04, 11:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonn Elledge wrote:
Our local stops have recently received letters. Those round the
Bricklayer's Arms roundabout have two letter codes beginning "B"
(BC, BQ etc); further down the Old Kent Road, the prefix is "E" for
stops towards New Cross and "W" for those heading into town. I'm
assuming this is for East and West.

These codes currently serve no function whatsoever - the area isn't
spider-mapped, and there isn't even a "where to catch your bus"
poster. Does the appearance of these letters mean that maps like
these are likely to appear soon, or could there be another reason?

The TfL Journey Planner mentions the bus stop letters in its detailed
directions. (e.g. journey from Bricklayers Arms to Commercial Way / Old
Kent Road)
--
Richard J.

Old September 10th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message
Our local stops have recently received letters. Those round the

Bricklayer's
Arms roundabout have two letter codes beginning "B" (BC, BQ etc);

further
down the Old Kent Road, the prefix is "E" for stops towards New Cross

and
"W" for those heading into town. I'm assuming this is for East and

West.

These codes currently serve no function whatsoever - the area isn't
spider-mapped, and there isn't even a "where to catch your bus"

poster. Does
the appearance of these letters mean that maps like these are likely

appear soon, or could there be another reason?

I noticed this in Hampstead a few weeks ago. Only problem was, the bus
stops were lettered on the posts, but numbered on the little maps on the
stops. So I got totally confused! Only place I've noticed this though.

James
(on Tower Bridge Road, coincidentally)

Old September 10th 04, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"James Penton" wrote in message

[...]

Me too, most of the time. Spent far too many hours sat in Sobo, missing the
bagel place...

Jonn