Old February 3rd 06, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default why oyster?

Hi

No doubt this has been asked and answered before but i have been wondering
why an oystercard is called an oystercard?

Why not clamcard or mollusccard?

I rather like mollusccard.

Regards
Clyde

Old February 3rd 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

CLYDE DEMPSTER wrote:
Hi

No doubt this has been asked and answered before but i have been wondering
why an oystercard is called an oystercard?

Why not clamcard or mollusccard?

I rather like mollusccard.

I think it's because of what you find in oysters (apart from meat).
Still, mollusccard does trip off the tongue nicely.

Robin
Old February 3rd 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , CLYDE
DEMPSTER writes
Hi

No doubt this has been asked and answered before but i have been wondering
why an oystercard is called an oystercard?

I presume (though without any justification) that it's a pun on "the
world is your Oyster", implying how far and how much you can do with
one. (Enter discussion about Pre-pay validity on NR, peripheral bus
routes and so on.......)

Why not clamcard or mollusccard?

I rather like mollusccard.

I prefer Clamcard! :-P

Seriously, I'm surprised they didn't come up with a more
"London-centric" name. CapitalCard would have been good (most people
have probably forgotten its previous incarnation now).
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old February 3rd 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:06:46 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message , CLYDE
DEMPSTER writes
Hi

No doubt this has been asked and answered before but i have been wondering
why an oystercard is called an oystercard?

I presume (though without any justification) that it's a pun on "the
world is your Oyster", implying how far and how much you can do with
one. (Enter discussion about Pre-pay validity on NR, peripheral bus
routes and so on.......)

As Tom points out, I assume it's partly because the Hong Kong version
is called "Octopus", and partly because you can keep it closed when
you go through the barriers.
Old February 3rd 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In message , CLYDE
DEMPSTER writes

Hi

No doubt this has been asked and answered before but i have been wondering
why an oystercard is called an oystercard?

I presume (though without any justification) that it's a pun on "the
world is your Oyster", implying how far and how much you can do with
one. (Enter discussion about Pre-pay validity on NR, peripheral bus
routes and so on.......)

As Tom points out, I assume it's partly because the Hong Kong version
is called "Octopus", and partly because you can keep it closed when
you go through the barriers.

Is it not because the yellow things you touch in and out on look vaguely
oyster shaped?

Old February 3rd 06, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In message , CLYDE
DEMPSTER writes
Hi

No doubt this has been asked and answered before but i have been
wondering
why an oystercard is called an oystercard?

I presume (though without any justification) that it's a pun on "the
world is your Oyster", implying how far and how much you can do with
one. (Enter discussion about Pre-pay validity on NR, peripheral bus
routes and so on.......)

As Tom points out, I assume it's partly because the Hong Kong version
is called "Octopus", and partly because you can keep it closed when
you go through the barriers.

A few 'pearls' of wisdom there then!

Paul

Old February 4th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:53:55 GMT, "CLYDE DEMPSTER"
wrote:

why an oystercard is called an oystercard?

And why is it blue? Could it be a subtle nod to the Blue Öyster Cult heavy
metal band?

Why can't Oyster show my Jan 2005 transactions? Jason London Transport 3 April 10th 05 06:41 PM
Why "oyster" Iain London Transport 18 February 21st 04 10:18 AM
Why the piccadilly to Heathrow , why not the District? Boltar London Transport 41 October 26th 03 08:04 PM
Why is it called an 'Oyster'card? David Morgan London Transport 1 August 1st 03 04:01 PM
Why is it called an 'Oyster'card? Cast_Iron London Transport 0 July 30th 03 08:26 AM