Old December 11th 06, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Utter rudeness

I was passing through a metropolitan line station this morning and saw
something that upset me at the time, and I just want to see what
everyone's take on it is. We were waiting on a train, and the customer
service assistant made an announcement that chiltern railways trains
were holding up the met line trains, and he would try and find out
where the next one was.

He went to the ticket office window, and was presumably trying to find
out from a colleague, when a man stormed up to him and asked why the
board said good service, "where is the good service?" he demanded. The
customer service assistant told the man that he was just trying to find
out where the train was, and the man's reply was "well thats no good is
it". As I guess you would expect the staff member then got a little
snappy (it was before 7am) and asked what else he could do, before
turning back to the window to finish finding out.

He then made another announcement about the delays, and said the train
we were all waiting for was 2 minutes away. The same customer piped up
again, and shouted "turn the speakers on and we might hear you." The
speakers were on, and were loud enough for myself to hear. Then the
man started shouting "do your job what are you paid for?" when it was
clear this young man was doing his job more than adequately.

I just wondered what other attrocities of human nature people have
seen. I know its part and parcel of a customer services job, but
surely that is just appalling?

Old December 12th 06, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

cyril sneer wrote:
[...]

Hmmm let me have a guess, this'll be at Amersham or Chalfont and
Latimer, thats where the arrogant *******s live, (Was it Baltor? GD&C)
Old December 12th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

www.waspies.net wrote:

cyril sneer wrote:
[...]

I am sorry to burst the bubble of righteous indignation being expressed
at the rudeness of the passenger to whom the original poster referred,
but my personal experience suggests that, unless absolutely necessary,
it is better to have no verbal contact with "customer assistants" or
whatever name they now operate under. My own experience suggests that
ANY word of even mildest criticism, however politely expressed, and I
am a model of politeness at all times, is likely at best to evoke
indifference of the "well what can I do about it, not my job" response
to downright rudeness and an attitude likely to draw attention from
everyone around as if it were I that was being thoroughly unreasonably
for having the temerity to expect a civil response.

I certainly do not condone the rudeness of the passenger concerned, but
nor would I go as far as to suggest that all T.F.L. (or whatever of the
myriad companies now operating public transport in the U.K.) employees
are graduates of the Rank Charm School.

Marc.

Old December 12th 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Mebbe that station whose name reads 'Krap Room' backwards? ;-)

lol no, the one whose name reads "htrow snam kcir" backwards actually.

Old December 12th 06, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Cyril Sneer ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Mebbe that station whose name reads 'Krap Room' backwards? ;-)

lol no, the one whose name reads "htrow snam kcir" backwards actually.

Ah, well, that's explained then. Bunch of chavs-done-good.

For a horrible moment, I feared it may be incomers to our pleasant Wood of
finest Chorley.

To the barricades!
Old December 12th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:
Cyril Sneer ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Mebbe that station whose name reads 'Krap Room' backwards? ;-)

lol no, the one whose name reads "htrow snam kcir" backwards actually.

Ah, well, that's explained then. Bunch of chavs-done-good.

For a horrible moment, I feared it may be incomers to our pleasant Wood of
finest Chorley.

To the barricades!

No, surely no such thing would happen in Britain's Happiest Place.

--
Dave Arquati
Old December 12th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Mebbe that station whose name reads 'Krap Room' backwards? ;-)

lol no, the one whose name reads "htrow snam kcir" backwards
actually.

Ah, well, that's explained then. Bunch of chavs-done-good.

For a horrible moment, I feared it may be incomers to our pleasant
Wood of finest Chorley.

To the barricades!

No, surely no such thing would happen in Britain's Happiest Place.

IIRC somewhere in Surrey were unhappy with the result and demanded a
recount, coming out slightly ahead - you'd have thought doing so would have
instantly disqualified them...
Old December 15th 06, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Unfortunately certain passengers become 'rude' because of the increased
levels of stress and anxiety brought on by the prolonged experiences of
personal inconvenience when traveling from A to B. The big causes of
stress in regard to rail travel are delays, increase in prices and
claustrophobia. Different people have different levels of tolerants
through experiences but if person feels threatened then the common
human reaction is to 'fight' back with fists, words or even a brolly
attack. When that's understood you can hardly blame anyone for the way
they feel or react when placed in such an environment/system and then
increase their stress levels.

To call someone rude is to disregard their perspective, experience and
point of view. (am I being rude too by pointing that out?)