Old December 19th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What station is this?

On 19 Dec 2006 08:40:43 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

Arrrgh - the curse of using Google Groups to post to usenet strikes
again!

The moral of the story, of course, is to get a newsreader and an NSP.
Old December 19th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:

On 19 Dec 2006 08:40:43 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

Arrrgh - the curse of using Google Groups to post to usenet strikes
again!

The moral of the story, of course, is to get a newsreader and an NSP.

No, not for me it's not. I use different computers, some not under my
control, when I post here. If it wasn't for Google Groups (GG) I
probably wouldn't be posting at all.

The futurologists increasingly bang on about web applications -
i.e.services accessed through a browser where previously one would have
used a full scale PC application. Webmail is an early example, lots of
the other stuff is at a fledgling stage such as Writely, some offers
simplified functionality compared to the full application (MSN Web
Messenger, Google Talk via the Gmail web interface). I see usenet as a
great example of something that can be accessed via the web instead of
via a full-on application.

The implementation of GG is a bit silly in places, as is what sometimes
seems like a thoroughly misguided attempt by Google to claim usenet for
itself. However given a bit of taming GG is very usable, though it
could do better. The mistake I made above is exactly that - my mistake
rather than that of Google Groups.

If there was some paid-for usenet web service that properly addressed
these failings, I'd pay up. The foreseeable problem is that any such
service probably wouldn't provide anything like an equivalently
powerful search function that GG provides.

Incidentally GG is currently running a new beta service that I haven't
played around with yet, which might address some of it's failings. I
shall investigate further.

Old December 20th 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Dec 2006 15:37:10 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

The implementation of GG is a bit silly in places,

And the rest of the places it's disastrous.

It's simultaneously lowered the clue barrier to using usenet whilst
requiring a high level of clue to use GG to post to usenet
effectively.
Old December 20th 06, 07:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:

Yep that's the street. Wow, that's better than Google Earth!

Windows Live Local shows the Shortlands Box which doesn't yet appear on
Google Earth. It must be 2 or 3 years old now.

Old December 20th 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

thoss wrote:

There's a b&w photo of the bus, with a contingent of "Wehrmacht troops
and the Big Ben tower behind. The bus is an AEC, number DLU92, with the
destination indicator saying
159
STREATHAM COMMON
LAMBETH BDG BRIXTON

And the cover has a close-up in colour of the driver cab, with a pair of
identification plates reading "AK 15".

A quick bit of Googling suggests that makes it an AEC Regent I,
delivered to LT in June 1937 and originally allocated fleet number STL
2093, allocated to Cricklewood Garage.

Its final London allocation was to Stockwell (hence the AK running
plate), before disposal in 1955. It spent a few years with Reliance
Motor Services of Newbury, running with fleet number 39, before being
purchased for preservation by a Mr D Cowing in May 1958.

Cheers,

Barry
Old December 20th 06, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:

Trying to work out where it was taken. My guess is Edgware, the first
platform you come to on the right hand side which is on its own. I don't
know the number of the platform.

Am I right?

That is platform 1. The platform is only used at peak hours. (At least
it used to be).