Old December 17th 06, 12:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What station is this?

The missus and I just watched a rather fascinating film called "It Happened
Here", which is a mockumentary, made in 1958 by two teenagers (one was 18,
the other 16) although released in 1966, about what would have happened had
the worst happened, and Hitler succeeded and invaded Britain and made it
part of the Reich.

A chilling film indeed. And made by these two teenagers, with a teeny
budget, it's most impressive.

More on the film he
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055024/

Review he
http://www.imdb.com/Reviews/144/14465

It's on DVD if you want to see it.

Anyway, from a UTL point of view, it's fascinating, as there's loads of
footage of old routemasters, tubes, etc. Whether the filmmakers used stock
around in 1944 when the film is largely based, or whether they used stock
that was around in the late 50s when they shot it, I don't know.

But I was fascinated by the location of one scene where a load of SS
soldiers march into a tube train. Here's a screengrab I took of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...4400498&size=o

Trying to work out where it was taken. My guess is Edgware, the first
platform you come to on the right hand side which is on its own. I don't
know the number of the platform.

Am I right?

Old December 17th 06, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:

soldiers march into a tube train. Here's a screengrab I took of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...4400498&size=o

Trying to work out where it was taken. My guess is Edgware, the first
platform you come to on the right hand side which is on its own. I don't
know the number of the platform.

Am I right?

That overall roof visible to the left of the train is quite
distinctive. There are two pictures on this page which show 1960 tube
stock at Edgware during the 1999 Northern Heights railtour. The topmost
picture is taken from the London end of the platform, facing the buffer
stops, and the second from the bottom is taken from a camera position
similar to the shot you grabbed. As the caption remarks, "the premature
end to the New Works programme gives the station a distinctly
"unfinished" feel."

http://www.squarewheels.org.uk/rly/stock/1960tubeStock/

As for the rolling stock, it looks like 1938 stock which would have
been authentic for the Northern in 1944, although I am not sure about
livery details being absolutely correct. That "No Smoking" window
transfer looks a bit post-war, but I am willing to be corrected.

Old December 17th 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 Tristán White wrote:

[...]

This excellent film was made by amateurs largely at weekends on no
money. So what you see is what was around at the time the film was
made, which was not just 1958 but the period from then up to when it was
released.

--
Thoss
Old December 17th 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

????

Old December 17th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

thoss wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 Tristán White wrote:

The missus and I just watched a rather fascinating film called "It
Happened Here", which is a mockumentary, made in 1958 by two
teenagers (one was 18, the other 16) although released in 1966,
about what would have happened had the worst happened, and Hitler
succeeded and invaded Britain and made it part of the Reich.

This excellent film was made by amateurs largely at weekends on no
money.

That must have been a shock to the passengers.... or was Edgware not a
Jewish area yet?

Old December 17th 06, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

That must have been a shock to the passengers.... or was Edgware not a
Jewish area yet?

Yes it was...

Old December 17th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com, () wrote:

Tristán White wrote:

[...]

The livery looks all-red to me, not authentic for 1944. Also the signs would have still said "NON-SMOKING" at that time. "NO-SMOKING" came later. And the lack of blast netting is wrong too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 17th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

As for the rolling stock, it looks like 1938 stock which would have
been authentic for the Northern in 1944, although I am not sure
about livery details being absolutely correct. That "No Smoking" window
transfer looks a bit post-war, but I am willing to be corrected.

The livery looks all-red to me, not authentic for 1944. Also the signs would have still said "NON-SMOKING" at that time. "NO-SMOKING" came later. And the lack of blast netting is wrong too.

I have been thinking about this. The 38 stock had cream window pillars
when introduced, didn't it? Like in this picture (of 1959 stock,
admittedly)

http://www.anorakheaven.com/photos/rs050.jpg

Maybe tube trains wouldn't need blast or blackout precautions if
German troops were in occupation?