Old July 6th 07, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why do they keep closing Kings X in the rush hour?

In article .com, MIG
writes

Oxford Circus has been closing several times a day for years. If one
complains, one gets responses about "emergency procedures".

So it's a rather routine emergency, and clearly no one has any
intention of doing anything about it.

I was about to post this in response to an earlier post: When I last
travelled regularly on the Bakerloo line, in 1990-92, the entrances to
Oxford Circus station were closed almost on a daily basis starting at
least around 5.15pm to prevent platform congestion - I don't know which
line was most affected, though.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Old July 6th 07, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Jul, 11:01, solar penguin wrote:
On 6 Jul, 09:40, Boltar wrote:

I would. As other people have said , its usually down to the northern
line platforms being packed. The other 5 lines serving the area
normally run ok. All they need to stop is just prevent northern line
trains stopping at the station , make announcements to that effect and
leave the station open for everyone else.

If they prevent Northern Line trains stopping at the station, then the
people already on the crowded platforms won't be able to get on a
train, and the overcrowding will remain.

No , they'll slowly leave. I doubt many people will want to remain on
a crowded platform for long staring at passing trains.

And even they did make announcements telling people not to go to the
Northern Line, the typical commuter would either not hear or not
obey. You'd need a physical barrier to stop people getting to the
platforms, while still allowing arriving passengers out. I don't
think there's room for building turnstiles in the narrow corridors
there.

Ever heard of a grating? They've already got one leading to one of the
northern line passages, it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to put in
a few more.

But, hey, don't let boring old facts spoil the fun of your ridiculous
rant!

No , lets just let the typical Can't Do british culture get in the way
of solving the problem. Closing the whole damn station because one
platform is overcrowded is not a solution.

B2003

Old July 6th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
Boltar writes

No , they'll slowly leave. I doubt many people will want to remain on
a crowded platform for long staring at passing trains.

And what about people on board who want to get off?

When Oxford Circus entrances closed, the congestion was transferred from
the platforms to the stairs down from the pavement. It was easy for me
to get a bus to Marylebone instead, but most others stayed where they
were, in the belief that the gates were about to re-open.
Old July 6th 07, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Jul, 15:00, congokid wrote:
In article .com,
Boltar writes

No , they'll slowly leave. I doubt many people will want to remain on
a crowded platform for long staring at passing trains.

And what about people on board who want to get off?

Well what do they do when the whole station is closed and the trains
don't stop anyway?

B2003

Old July 6th 07, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article om, Boltar
writes
On 6 Jul, 15:00, congokid wrote:
In article .com,
Boltar writes

No , they'll slowly leave. I doubt many people will want to remain on
a crowded platform for long staring at passing trains.

And what about people on board who want to get off?

Well what do they do when the whole station is closed and the trains
don't stop anyway?

I don't think that Oxford Circus station was closed - the entrances
were. People could still change there and exit.

Old July 6th 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 01:40:48 -0700, Boltar wrote:

I agree it is inconvenient - I would not agree that it is a disgrace.

I would. As other people have said , its usually down to the northern
line platforms being packed. The other 5 lines serving the area
normally run ok. All they need to stop is just prevent northern line
trains stopping at the station , make announcements to that effect and
leave the station open for everyone else.

The problem is that most of the would-be Northern Line passengers
would decide to take alternative routes using the Vic and Picc lines.
Those lines/platforms probably already operate close to capacity
during the peaks and couldn't cope with such a large influx of
additional passengers.