Old July 22nd 07, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Worst shift

wrote in message
Whats the worst shift to work on the underground as a train driver?

defind 'worse'

One man's meat is another man's poison.

tim

Old July 22nd 07, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message
k...

wrote in message
Whats the worst shift to work on the underground as a train driver?

If my lads n' lasses are to be believed, all of them :-)

Seriously, because of flexible rostering there are so many different
shifts that is impossible to pick out one "worst" shift. Late turns are
less favoured than early turns and (on the Picc) any 6 "pipe"[1] turn
early or late would be considered the worst of the shifts around that
time.

At Arnos on a weekday ..... last at 23:17.

With a last train back (to Cockfosters) at 1:15 (so presumably ECS to
AG for 1:30), what does one do for the rest of this shift?

tim

Old July 22nd 07, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , tim.....
writes

At Arnos on a weekday ..... last at 23:17.

With a last train back (to Cockfosters) at 1:15 (so presumably ECS to
AG for 1:30), what does one do for the rest of this shift?

The 2317 book-on is a night turn (yes, we have them too). It finishes
at 0731 (0735 on a Friday, Saturday morning)

Night turns are a whole different animal as they involve taking a train
west, in this case to Rayners Lane for 0048 and then back to Northfields
depot; then sitting in the depot at Northfields for up to 4 hours to
bring a first train east again.

Steve (D) seems to like his night turns - hence his note about the last
book-on
Old July 22nd 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote in message
Whats the worst shift to work on the underground as a train driver?

defind 'worse'

One man's meat is another man's poison.

tim

I Imagine that the last trains from 11 pm onwards are not that popular, with
the late night **** heads throwing up eveywhere and refusing to get off the
train so the driver can go home are not very popular!!

Old July 22nd 07, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Whats the worst shift to work on the underground as a train driver?

Although I can't tell you the worst, the best are annual leave shifts. Even
some rest days can be pretty awful, finishing at 01:30 on the rest day and
back at 04:45 the day after that single 'day off'!

Old July 23rd 07, 06:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Robin Mayes
writes

Although I can't tell you the worst, the best are annual leave shifts. Even
some rest days can be pretty awful, finishing at 01:30 on the rest day and
back at 04:45 the day after that single 'day off'!

That's a good point - I had my only SPAD after one of those.
Old July 23rd 07, 08:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A pipe (was: Worst shift)

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:00:24 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Last Friday was a good example of what I consider to be a bad duty.

CFS - Rayners - Acton (2h 2 mins driving)
Meal Break
Acton - CFS - Heathrow - Arnos (4h 13 mins driving)

As we had a number of signal failures after the weekend's enforced
drought reduction scheme, I finally ended up 30 mins late at Arnos Grove
- having now driven constantly for 4 hours 45 mins without a break.

Is there a certain time limit after which you *have* to stop driving
(even if it means disruption)?
Old July 23rd 07, 08:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:42:28 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Whats the worst shift to work on the underground as a train driver?

Any shift on the Waterloo & City, surely?

There are some who would kill to get a W&C duty.

Out of interest, why? Isn't it boring as hell?
Old July 23rd 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

In message , John Rowland
writes
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

On the Picc., a pipe is about 40 mins and we do talk in pipes - sad
but true.

Could you give some examples? Might you say "When Only Fools And Horses
started, the episodes were only three quarters of a pipe long"?

I have been known to comment about only having to do half a pipe after a
Down Street or Kings Cross reverse

Half-pipes, eh? You should get on to the skateboarding crowd, might entice
some new recruits!

As we had a number of signal failures after the weekend's enforced
drought reduction scheme,

Wassat?

tom

--
Only the bagel has the correct aspect ratio.