Old September 3rd 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube question

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:10:54 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist
wrote:

David of Broadway wrote:
Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

I have also sometimes wondered why the platform for anti-clockwise
Circle Line at Notting Hill Gate is signed "Westbound". The line is
drawn north-south on the tube map around there, and the actual
direction of the real tracks are also more south than west.

I think I missed a train last summer because of this. I was going to
Gloucester Road or South Kensington.

That's exactly what I had in mind. It feels just wrong to call it
"Westbound" in that case. About the same as Boltar's example, travelling
from Cockfosters to for example Finsbury Park on the Piccadilly Line and
they are calling that "Westbound" when it is so obviously travelling
south, or actually slightly south-east...

There are always going to be slightly non-intuitive local examples -
consider Euston/KXSP on the Victoria and Northern lines. I think we're
quite lucky to have such prominent line diagrams all over the place.

Old September 3rd 07, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

from Cockfosters to for example Finsbury Park on the Piccadilly Line and

they are calling that "Westbound" when it is so obviously travelling
south, or actually slightly south-east...

There are always going to be slightly non-intuitive local examples -
consider Euston/KXSP on the Victoria and Northern lines.

Yes, of course, but in the Piccadilly Line case the question is more why
the signage was changed from from northbound/southbound to
eastbound/westbound north of Holborn.

I think we're
quite lucky to have such prominent line diagrams all over the place.

Agree. Compared to some other metro systems etc London Underground has
really good and useful line diagrams, maps, both station/platform and
on-train signage and similar information to passengers.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old September 4th 07, 12:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 15:11:14 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist
wrote:

Agree. Compared to some other metro systems etc London Underground has
really good and useful line diagrams, maps, both station/platform and
on-train signage and similar information to passengers.

My one biggest criticism of the NYC Subway when I was there earlier
this year was the way that the line diagrams tended to be tiny and
hidden away on pillars...
Old September 4th 07, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:47:02 -0400, David of Broadway
wrote:

But at least someone familiar with the overall Piccadilly line can
understand the east-west nomenclature. As can, for that matter, someone
familiar with the overall District line. But an east-west nomenclature
obviously makes no sense for the Circle line as a whole, nor does it
make sense at that particular point on the line.

The alternative is to have the line diagrams say something like
"District line Westbound and Circle line Anti-clockwise" - which would
also confuse some people, no doubt...
Old September 4th 07, 12:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

But at least someone familiar with the overall Piccadilly line can
understand the east-west nomenclature. As can, for that matter,
someone familiar with the overall District line. But an east-west
nomenclature obviously makes no sense for the Circle line as a
whole, nor does it make sense at that particular point on the line.

[Notting Hill Gate]

The alternative is to have the line diagrams say something like
"District line Westbound and Circle line Anti-clockwise" - which
would also confuse some people, no doubt...

How about "District & Circle Lines Southbound"?
--
Richard J.

Old September 4th 07, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com, Kev
writes
The trains quite often carry the wrong destination. Many times I have
got on south bound trains at Camden apparently going to Edgware and
many a time there have been arguements between the driver and the
station staff as to whether it was a Bank or Charing Cross train.

At Camden Town it's really easy: look at the station headwall:
Green light: Charing Cross
Green light and white diagonal stripe: Bank
Yellow light: it's not going yet, wait until it changes.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old September 4th 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

Yeah , I remember those signs No idea why they changed it. Mind
you , on the district line a few years back they used to have in car
line diagrams with east on the left and west on the right so the line
was completely reversed to what someone would see on the main tube
map. Heaven knows what the idiots who came up with that idea were
thinking (direction of travel of the train matching the map I suppose)
but common sense has since prevailed however.

They still have them on a lot of the single route lines - I never could
understand why they don't have them on the others as well as apart from the
Central & Piccadilly the trains don't turn round.

Old September 4th 07, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

Yes, of course, but in the Piccadilly Line case the question is more why
the signage was changed from from northbound/southbound to
eastbound/westbound north of Holborn.

Perhaps historic as "southbound" would have been at Aldwych, but also the
general direction of travel and the actual destinations - you would describe
Russell Square and King's Cross St. Pancras as "north" of Holborn rather
than "east" but I wouldn't use "south" alone to describe even Leicester
Square & Piccadilly Circus. (And the entire strategy on the tube is to
discourage as much use of Covent Garden as possible so that wouldn't factor
either.)

Old September 4th 07, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message
Boltar wrote:

Yeah , I remember those signs No idea why they changed it. Mind
you , on the district line a few years back they used to have in car
line diagrams with east on the left and west on the right so the line
was completely reversed to what someone would see on the main tube
map. Heaven knows what the idiots who came up with that idea were
thinking (direction of travel of the train matching the map I suppose)
but common sense has since prevailed however.

They still have them on a lot of the single route lines - I never could
understand why they don't have them on the others as well as apart from
the Central & Piccadilly the trains don't turn round.

BTW the carriage strip maps are available on the www for those who didn't
know already...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/4572.aspx

Paul S

Old September 4th 07, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 1, 7:50 pm, Boltar wrote:

Of course it gets more interesting on the piccadilly line where from
holborn to cockfosters "eastbound" is actually going north and
westbound is south. Why they insist on doing this when is flippin
obvious the train is going north-south is anyones guess.

You are at Euston in a maze of twisty passages all alike. What do you
want to do?

GO NORTH

You go North on the Victoria line and are at Kings Cross in a maze of
twisty passages all alike. What do you want to do?

GO NORTH

You go North on the Northern line and are at Euston in a maze of
twisty passages all alike. What do you want to do?

GO NORTH

You go ...

Never wonder why Mornington Crescent is such a popular game? :-)

Tim.

Tube accessibility question, Russell Square and Gloucester Road grusl London Transport 14 July 12th 08 10:56 AM
Question about tube strikes Poldie London Transport 13 January 10th 06 04:33 PM
Tube driver with mates in cab question Dave Newt London Transport 10 November 6th 04 10:00 AM
Tube question geco4u London Transport 10 November 10th 03 12:53 PM
Heathrow & Piccadilly Tube Question Add Subtract London Transport 5 September 3rd 03 10:11 AM