Old September 22nd 08, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme

Does anyone know anything about the Veterans Concessionary Travel
Scheme?
I heard it's being introduced on 2nd November 2008 but there is no
more information than that to be found so far.
I've contacted TfL and the Veterans Agency but while I wait to hear
back I thought I'd ask if anyone here is any the wiser?
--
Mark Varley
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk

Old September 22nd 08, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Sep, 18:41, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the Veterans Concessionary Travel
Scheme?
I heard it's being introduced on 2nd November 2008 but there is no
more information than that to be found so far.
I've contacted TfL and the Veterans Agency but while I wait to hear
back I thought I'd ask if anyone here is any the wiser?

This is the relevant page on the TfL website:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/8734.aspx
Old September 22nd 08, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the Veterans Concessionary Travel
Scheme?
I heard it's being introduced on 2nd November 2008 but there is no
more information than that to be found so far.
I've contacted TfL and the Veterans Agency but while I wait to hear
back I thought I'd ask if anyone here is any the wiser?

This is the relevant page on the TfL website:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/8734.aspx

Unfortunately, IMO, it will be somewhat misleading if it is referred to as
the 'Veteran's' scheme, as in the last few years the usage of 'Veteran' has
changed to cover what we used to describe as 'ex-servicemen'.

It would be more sensible to just amend the eligibilty list for the Freedom
Pass surely?

Paul S

Old September 22nd 08, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the Veterans Concessionary Travel
Scheme?
I heard it's being introduced on 2nd November 2008 but there is no
more information than that to be found so far.
I've contacted TfL and the Veterans Agency but while I wait to hear
back I thought I'd ask if anyone here is any the wiser?

This is the relevant page on the TfL website:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/8734.aspx

Thanks for the link, I saw that page but no clues as to how one goes
about being included, so far my assumption is that I'll automatically
be on some kind of list, but I'd like to be sure.
Old September 22nd 08, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the Veterans Concessionary Travel
Scheme?
I heard it's being introduced on 2nd November 2008 but there is no
more information than that to be found so far.
I've contacted TfL and the Veterans Agency but while I wait to hear
back I thought I'd ask if anyone here is any the wiser?

This is the relevant page on the TfL website:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/8734.aspx

Unfortunately, IMO, it will be somewhat misleading if it is referred to as
the 'Veteran's' scheme, as in the last few years the usage of 'Veteran' has
changed to cover what we used to describe as 'ex-servicemen'.

It would be more sensible to just amend the eligibilty list for the Freedom
Pass surely?

Paul S

Maybe thats what they are, in effect, doing?
No idea.....
What is a 'veteran' in your view out of curiosity?

Old September 22nd 08, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

I don't recall 'veteran' being used in normal conversation to refer to ex
servicemen and service pensioners generally, until quite recently. It
irritated me that the current lot reckoned it was so important to spin the
creation of a 'Veterans Agency' as though there was nothing before. My
pension is now administered by something called the Armed Forces Personnel
and Veterans Agency which appears identical in nature to the predecessor
Armed Forces Personnel Administration Agency.

Should we perhaps stop referring to Chelsea Pensioners as well?

Paul S

Old September 22nd 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:47:39 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote this gibberish:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

Another example of a rebranding excercise where nothing changed as far
as I note, I've always known 'veteran' to refer to those who had
served a 'service' (military or civilian), seems to be more
exclusively military now. c'est la vie.

Old September 23rd 08, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote in article

I've contacted TfL and the Veterans Agency but while I wait to

hear
back I thought I'd ask if anyone here is any the wiser?

This is the relevant page on the TfL website:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/8734.aspx

Unfortunately, IMO, it will be somewhat misleading if it is referred

to as
the 'Veteran's' scheme, as in the last few years the usage of

'Veteran' has
changed to cover what we used to describe as 'ex-servicemen'.

Term borrowed from the US "Veterans Administration" perhaps ?

--
Mike D