Old December 20th 08, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Circle line information at Paddington

This is a bit of a rant but I thought it was worth to mention anyway.

At Paddington for the Circle line when you are going towards South
Kensington / Victoria you never get more than 1 minutes notice as to
when the next train arrives. The reason for this is that until the
train reaches Edgware Road the very old signalling describer system
cannot tell the information board when the next train will be
arriving.

I know this already so dont really have any problem with that but was
does annoy me is the following.

Arrived today as usual to go to South Kensington. Recently they do
seem able to put a message on the board showing an estimated arrival
time for the next service. Today it said next circle expected in 17
minutes. Followed with two manual announcements. Next Circle line
train has just liverpool street and not expected for at LEAST 17
minutes. Take next train and change at Earls Court.

Dutifully get on next train but as usual stick my head out at High
Street Kensington and see to my surprise next Circle line due in 3
minutes. Get off and low and behold next train does arrive about 3
minutes later.

How can this happen. The announcer was adamant that there was no
train for a long time. Not only that they told me that it was 8 stops
away. How can they get it so wrong. Did they turn a Hammersmith and
City into a circle line?

Old December 20th 08, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Dec, 19:38, wrote:
How can this happen. *The announcer was adamant that there was no
train for a long time. *Not only that they told me that it was 8 stops
away. *How can they get it so wrong. *Did they turn a Hammersmith and
City into a circle line?

Yes.....not sure how often, but I've certainly been on a Circle Line
that, on arrival at Edgeware Road, has changed & gone to
Hammersmith....which annoyed those on baoard no end.

Early morning certainly, they come off the Hammersmith branch and turn
into Circle Line trains too.

Old December 22nd 08, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris" wrote in message
On 20 Dec, 19:38, wrote:
How can this happen. The announcer was adamant that there was no
train for a long time. Not only that they told me that it was 8 stops
away. How can they get it so wrong. Did they turn a Hammersmith and
City into a circle line?

Yes they do sometimes - they prob did it just to make that 17 min wait
reduce to 3 just for you I have been at Edgware Rd sometimes and you can
see that things can change in an instant. So the bloke at Paddinginton WAS
right but it was changed after he made the announcement and they prob never
told him til it was too late anyway.