Old May 26th 05, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Circle Line "closing" from 2009?

Apologies if this has been covered before, I have attempted a search
but after 8 pages I have found nothing.

I read that LUL are withdrawing the "Circle" line service, as it causes
far too many delays at the various bottlenecks on the route.

Naturally, the lines will still be there (ie: H&C, Met and District
Line will still have services), but without a circular service
operating. The nickname "tea-cup" was mentioned, as this will basically
cover the stylised map of new routes that will be utilised.

Does anyone have any other details on this: or is it just another plan
that is being considered?

Old May 27th 05, 05:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
ONscotland writes
I read that LUL are withdrawing the "Circle" line service, as it causes
far too many delays at the various bottlenecks on the route.

I've not seen the 2009 date suggested before, but people have been
trying to get rid of the Circle for at least 70 years. See, for example

avros.org&lr=&hl=en

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 27th 05, 06:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, at
15:46:09 on Thu, 26 May 2005, ONscotland
remarked:
I read that LUL are withdrawing the "Circle" line service, as it causes
far too many delays at the various bottlenecks on the route.

Naturally, the lines will still be there (ie: H&C, Met and District
Line will still have services), but without a circular service
operating. The nickname "tea-cup" was mentioned, as this will basically
cover the stylised map of new routes that will be utilised.

Does anyone have any other details on this: or is it just another plan
that is being considered?

Like Clive, I've not heard of a recent plan; but there was a scrap-the-
circle plan a couple of years ago which seemed to entail running
Hammersmith and City services on a "loop the loop" basis: running along
the north of the Circle, round the bottom and round the top again before
exiting east.

Old May 27th 05, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article . com,
ONscotland writes
I read that LUL are withdrawing the "Circle" line service, as it
causes far too many delays at the various bottlenecks on the route.

I've not seen the 2009 date suggested before, but people have been
trying to get rid of the Circle for at least 70 years.

If one wanted to go further back neither the Metropolitan nor the District
Railways wanted it in the first place.

Old May 27th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I've not seen the 2009 date suggested before, but people have been
trying to get rid of the Circle for at least 70 years.

If one wanted to go further back neither the Metropolitan nor the
District Railways wanted it in the first place.

The fact that the Metropolitan created the District Railway shows that
they did want it "in the first place".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I don't know about your brain,
Old May 27th 05, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Brader wrote:
I've not seen the 2009 date suggested before, but people have been
trying to get rid of the Circle for at least 70 years.

If one wanted to go further back neither the Metropolitan nor the
District Railways wanted it in the first place.

The fact that the Metropolitan created the District Railway shows that
they did want it "in the first place".

The Met didn't create the District, it was a seperate company and the two
spent more time arguiing and at odds with each other than anything else. It
is also documented that neither the Met nor District wanted the Circle to be
completed because they had to be forced by an independent Act of Parliament
to build it.

Old May 27th 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Isn't this effectively what happens now, though? Only difference being
the number of loops before exiting stage left.

Robin

Old May 27th 05, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

If one wanted to go further back neither the Metropolitan nor the
District Railways wanted [the Circle] in the first place.

The fact that the Metropolitan created the District Railway shows that
they did want it "in the first place".

The Met didn't create the District, it was a seperate company...

Which was deliberately given the very similar name of the Metropolitan
District Railway, to indicate the intention that the two would work
in cooperation and in due course be merged. The only reason it was
made a separate company is that they thought it would be easier to
attract capital that way.

and the two spent more time arguiing and at odds with each other
than anything else...

Sure, that's how it worked out. I'm talking about *before* that.
"In the first place."
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Those who cannot Google the past are destined
to repost it." -- Huey Callison

Old May 27th 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

ONscotland wrote:
Apologies if this has been covered before, I have attempted a search
but after 8 pages I have found nothing.

I read that LUL are withdrawing the "Circle" line service, as it causes
far too many delays at the various bottlenecks on the route.

Naturally, the lines will still be there (ie: H&C, Met and District
Line will still have services), but without a circular service
operating. The nickname "tea-cup" was mentioned, as this will basically
cover the stylised map of new routes that will be utilised.

Does anyone have any other details on this: or is it just another plan
that is being considered?

It's an old plan which gets revived every few years; Metronet have it in
their sights now.

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/39
http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/SS...%20Upgrade.htm
http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave...ade_plans.html