Old March 26th 09, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Complusory or Compulsory Bus Stops

Neil Williams wrote

And why can't iBus just be told that a particular stop is closed for

particular route, then the announcements work automatically? It
doesn't seem a difficult thing to do - nor would the one about "The

It does happen and IBus can do automatically or so I assumed in my post
of 19 Jan '09, subject iBus

== quote
However I recently noted a logical flaw which affects the above. When a
stop is closed it is still announced but there is no announcement at
the previous stop.

Thus "The next stop is The Dysart"
press bell

burst of music, then "The next stop is closed"

Then the normal announcement "The next stop is closed"

(observed on 65 Kingston-Richmond 10 am Sat 10 Jan and on the 371 on
return)

If the walk back is much the same as the walk from the previous stop
this doesn't matter much but here the next stop for the 65 is 500 m on
and for the 371 it's 600 m and at the top of Star & Garter hill.

So I suggest "The next stop is Petersham Fox & Duck", "The following
stop is closed" and/or "also alight here for The Dysart".

This didn't affect me since when the bus halted at the temporary
traffic lights the driver stretched a point and let me off anyway -
thanks.
==

--
Mike D

Old March 26th 09, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Complusory Bus Stops

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 06:58:31PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:38:16 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:
I suppose I should put in some complaints about drivers not announcing
that the next stop is closed.

I've seen these, but "the next stop is closed" is useless to probably
about half of passengers who might want it, unless announced while at
the previous one with the doors open (and remaining open long enough
for changes of mind).

Well, yes, that's what they're meant to do IIRC.

And why can't iBus just be told that a particular stop is closed for a
particular route, then the announcements work automatically?

It can be, and sometimes does, unless the announcements are turned off,
or the computer gets confused about where it is. I wonder if there's
any particular reason why the poor thing gets its little brane in such a
tizzy on the no 8 bus southbound between Oxford St and Green Park.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

Today's previously unreported paraphilia is tomorrow's Internet sensation
Old March 27th 09, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...

It can be, and sometimes does, unless the announcements are turned off,
or the computer gets confused about where it is.

I do wonder, sometimes, if drivers deliberately turn off iBus.

Old March 31st 09, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Mon, 23 Mar 2009
15:11:47 in uk.transport.london, Walter Briscoe
writes

[all snipped]
Today, I got this from :
"It is true that there used to be separate designations for 'compulsory'
and 'request' stops. This is no longer the case. Following a review of
the matter last year, drivers have been advised to treat all designated
bus stops in the same manner. If there are customers waiting at the stop
they must stop, and if a passenger presses the stop request button on
board the bus they must stop at the next bus stop. There is no
documentation of this change."

I shall continue to signal at "Request Stop"-flagged stops.
I don't signal at "Bus Stop"-flagged stops because I like the
distinction and am sad at its passing.

Our bus drivers are mostly wonderful. I missed a southbound bus at
Moorgate Station; the bus stopped at the London Wall lights; the driver
opened the doors to allow me to board. He had had a good day with a huge
extra amount on his payslip. Such customer service is fairly usual.
--
Walter Briscoe