Old October 15th 03, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Lyndhurst Road station - petition

If anyone is interested, I set up a petition to get the historic and proper
station name reinstated.

http://www.petitiononline.com/lyndhurs/petition.html

BTN

Old October 15th 03, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message
If anyone is interested, I set up a petition to get the historic and proper
station name reinstated.

http://www.petitiononline.com/lyndhurs/petition.html

BTN

Why? IMO Lyndhurst Road is completely meaningless to anybody who does not
come from the area. When I saw the subject of the thread I didn't have the
faintest idea where Lyndhurst Road was but I do know where Ashurst (New
Forest) is.

Network Rail aren't likely to pay any attention to an internet petition
anyway.

Peter Smyth

Old October 15th 03, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ben Nunn wrote:
If anyone is interested, I set up a petition to get the historic and
proper station name reinstated.

http://www.petitiononline.com/lyndhurs/petition.html

I.e. You want Ashurst (New Forest), a station at Ashurst in the New Forest,
to revert to its historic name of Lyndhurst Road, Lyndhurst being a place 2
or 3 miles down the said road. I agree that the old name is "historic", but
in what sense is it "proper"? I would have thought "former", "outdated",
"misleading", "confusing" might be more appropriate.
--
Richard J.

Old October 15th 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message
If anyone is interested, I set up a petition to get the historic and

proper
station name reinstated.

http://www.petitiononline.com/lyndhurs/petition.html

BTN

Why?

Because he believes that "... that the name 'Ashurst - New Forest' is an
inelegant abomination, and that Lyndhurst Road railway station should revert
to its proper and historic name." As it says on the petition site.

IMO Lyndhurst Road is completely meaningless to anybody who does not
come from the area.

Most names would be completely meaningless to anybody who doesn't come from
the local area, surely? Unless it was particularly famous for some reason.

When I saw the subject of the thread I didn't have the
faintest idea where Lyndhurst Road was but I do know where Ashurst (New
Forest) is.

On that basis we should call it Ashurst (New Forest (Southampton (Southern
England (UK)))), just to make sure everyone else does then? ;-)

Network Rail aren't likely to pay any attention to an internet petition
anyway.

They might. It's worth a try. If Ben Nunn and other local people want to
change the name of their local station, who are we to object?

Nick

Old October 15th 03, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Kat ), in
message who said:
"Ben Nunn" wrote in message
If anyone is interested, I set up a petition to get the historic and
proper station name reinstated.

http://www.petitiononline.com/lyndhurs/petition.html

It would cause far too much confusion and cost too much; I'd prefer
to see money going to improve other aspects of the service...

The renaming in the first place would've cost needless money too.

I'd settle for an 'organic' renaming - as signage and timetables are
replaced, the name can evolve back to what it used to be.

(Of course, most people still seem to call it Lyndhurst Road anyway, which
makes it more confusing for visitors.)

'Redbridge, Totton, Lyndhurst Road, Bealieu Road, Brockenhurst, Sway, New
Milton, Hinton Admiral, Christchurch, Pokesdown and Bournemouth'

I always feel that having two successive 'road's is somehow aesthetically
satisfying. So much more pleasing to the ear than 'Ashurst New Forest'.

BTN

Old October 15th 03, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Nick ),
in message who said:

Because he believes that "... that the name 'Ashurst - New Forest' is
an inelegant abomination, and that Lyndhurst Road railway station
should revert to its proper and historic name." As it says on the
petition site.

Quite.

I'm sick of my views not being heard, and wanted to start a petition to get
the message across. It might not be some young, trendy anti-war or anti-hunt
or anti-scone rhetoric, but it's an issue I feel strongly about, and not
necessarily any less valid than the topics that get all the coverage.

IMO Lyndhurst Road is completely meaningless to anybody who does not
come from the area.

Most names would be completely meaningless to anybody who doesn't
come from the local area, surely? Unless it was particularly famous
for some reason.

Absolutely.

Rayners Lane - named after a local landowner. Royal Oak, Welsh Harp, Nine
Elms, Elephant and Castle etc. etc.

Lots of station names didn't mean a lot when built - it's the development of
the area around the stations that later come to define their identity.

Lyndhurst Road sufficed perfectly well for over 100 years.

When I saw the subject of the thread I didn't have the
faintest idea where Lyndhurst Road was but I do know where Ashurst
(New Forest) is.

On that basis we should call it Ashurst (New Forest (Southampton
(Southern England (UK)))), just to make sure everyone else does then?
;-)

Which planet, solar system, galaxy, universe and omniverse would that be?

Does anyone know where Preston Road is? Or Elversen Road? Or any number of
other Roadal stations in London?

Network Rail aren't likely to pay any attention to an internet
petition anyway.

They might. It's worth a try. If Ben Nunn and other local people
want to change the name of their local station, who are we to object?

I'm not really a local person either. I just care about these things.

As it happens, most local people didn't like the new name either by all
accounts, but that's neither here nor there. People who start their journeys
from Lyndhurst Road, ironically, are the few who /don't/ have to hear the
abomination announcement of where their train will be calling.

BTN

Old October 15th 03, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message
If anyone is interested, I set up a petition to get the historic and

proper
station name reinstated.

http://www.petitiononline.com/lyndhurs/petition.html

It would cause far too much confusion and cost too much; I'd prefer to see
money going to improve other aspects of the service...

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto

Old October 15th 03, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

in message who said:

Does anyone know where Preston Road is? Or Elversen Road? Or any number of
other Roadal stations in London?

Some Roadal etc stations are named after roads which have changed their name
since the station was initially named. You may find that what was once
called Preston Road is now Preston Street or Preston Avenue - I think quite
a lot of roads were renamed in the mid 1900s to avoid duplicate road names
(and hence confusion of postal addresses).

Old October 15th 03, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message

IMO Lyndhurst Road is completely meaningless
to anybody who does not come from the area.

Most names would be completely meaningless to
anybody who doesn't come from the local area, surely?

Absolutely.

Unlike Rayners Lane, the New Forest is a tourist attraction, and as such,
there is cash value for the railway in having a station named after it.

Lyndhurst Road sufficed perfectly well for over 100 years.

It can't have done, or they would not have changed it.

Does anyone know where Preston Road is?

It's in Preston, a London suburb with a more famous namesake up north. The
"Road" helped distinguish, when built, the station in Preston Middx from the
stations in Preston Lancs and Preston Sussex. I think it's a bad name for
the station - "Uxendon" would have been more distinctive, and equally
geographically valid. The name Uxendon seems to have largely disappeared
from maps.

Or Elversen Road?

Another bad name, but the names "St John's" and "Ravensbourne" were already
taken.

Or any number of other Roadal stations in London?

"Road" stations are a bad thing IMO. The fact that there are others doesn't
mean it is a good idea to reintroduce one that has already been "fixed".

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 15th 03, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

"Road" stations are a bad thing IMO. The fact that there are others

doesn't
mean it is a good idea to reintroduce one that has already been "fixed".

They are a bad thing when they are used to disguise the fact that the
station is nowhere near the place in the station name: the "Road" in
"Wantage Road" and "Beaulieu Road" means (but only to the initiated) "it's
bloody miles away from X"!