Old August 5th 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Midland Pullman

Does anyone know why there is (at least) one old Blue Pullman in
Barking carriage shed? Spotted it today as I was passing.

MaxB

Old August 5th 09, 07:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"MaxB" wrote in message

Does anyone know why there is (at least) one old Blue Pullman in
Barking carriage shed? Spotted it today as I was passing.

Do you mean the original one, or the more recent Mk II charter train?
The latter certainly used to be based in East Ham depot, but since FM
Rail collapsed I'm not sure where the carriages have ended up (the train
certainly has been split up).
See http://www.filesaveas.co.uk/cgi-bin/...num=1137960619

Old August 5th 09, 07:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 12:13:45 -0700 (PDT), MaxB
wrote:

Does anyone know why there is (at least) one old Blue Pullman in
Barking carriage shed? Spotted it today as I was passing.

Really? I thought they were all scrapped.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_251

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/
"Nullius in Verba" - take no man's word for it.
Old August 5th 09, 07:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone know why there is (at least) one old Blue Pullman in
Barking carriage shed? Spotted it today as I was passing.

Really? I thought they were all scrapped.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_251

So it must be one of the FM Rail Mk 2 Blue Pullman carriages. I think
about five of them ended up with Stobart Rail after it merged with Victa
Westlink, but I don't know if they kept them (Cotswold bought the
others). Stobart certainly didn't use them, preferring to use DRS's Mk 3
set during the brief period that it operated the Stobart Pullman
service.

As an aside, that same DRS Mk 3 set is re-entering service this month
(should have been today, but it wasn't ready) as the Ocean Liner
Express. See
http://www.ukrailtours.com/tourshow...._liner_express

Old August 5th 09, 08:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:53:26 on
Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Recliner remarked:
So it must be one of the FM Rail Mk 2 Blue Pullman carriages. I think
about five of them ended up with Stobart Rail after it merged with Victa
Westlink, but I don't know if they kept them (Cotswold bought the
others).

http://www.cotswoldrail.co.uk/Blue%20Pullman.htm

And I'm now pretty sure I saw one of them in sidings just north of
Carlisle yesterday.

Old August 5th 09, 08:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 20:53:26 on
Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Recliner remarked:
So it must be one of the FM Rail Mk 2 Blue Pullman carriages. I think
about five of them ended up with Stobart Rail after it merged with
Victa Westlink, but I don't know if they kept them (Cotswold bought
the others).

http://www.cotswoldrail.co.uk/Blue%20Pullman.htm

And I'm now pretty sure I saw one of them in sidings just north of
Carlisle yesterday.

Unfortunately, I don't think they're in current use, just like the
vehicles that stayed in London. Internally, they're little changed from
when Virgin ran them, apart from lights on the tables -- FM Rail
couldn't afford a full refurbishment. The DRS Mk 3 set is much more
extensively refurbished.

Old August 5th 09, 08:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone know why there is (at least) one old Blue Pullman in
Barking carriage shed? Spotted it today as I was passing.

Really? I thought they were all scrapped.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_251

So it must be one of the FM Rail Mk 2 Blue Pullman carriages. I think
about five of them ended up with Stobart Rail after it merged with Victa
Westlink, but I don't know if they kept them (Cotswold bought the
others). Stobart certainly didn't use them, preferring to use DRS's Mk 3
set during the brief period that it operated the Stobart Pullman
service.

Are those the carriages that used to run in the Boat Train from Harwich
to Liverpool Street? I remember them as being used as restaurant cars.
(Akward inward opening doors IIRC)
Old August 5th 09, 08:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"iMark" wrote in message
news:1j3zyrp.16izwgqqjithdN%grinnikt.meestal@INVAL IDxs4all.nl

wrote:

Does anyone know why there is (at least) one old Blue Pullman in
Barking carriage shed? Spotted it today as I was passing.

Really? I thought they were all scrapped.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_251

So it must be one of the FM Rail Mk 2 Blue Pullman carriages. I think
about five of them ended up with Stobart Rail after it merged with
Victa Westlink, but I don't know if they kept them (Cotswold bought
the others). Stobart certainly didn't use them, preferring to use
DRS's Mk 3 set during the brief period that it operated the Stobart
Pullman service.

Are those the carriages that used to run in the Boat Train from
Harwich to Liverpool Street? I remember them as being used as
restaurant cars. (Akward inward opening doors IIRC)

The FM Rail Blue Pullman was only created in 2005, out of redundant
Virgin Mk 2 carriages, retired when the Voyagers came in. It was just a
repaint job of standard Mk2 FO carriages.
See http://paulbigland.fotopic.net/c760855.html

Old August 5th 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"iMark" wrote

Are those the carriages that used to run in the Boat Train from Harwich
to Liverpool Street? I remember them as being used as restaurant cars.
(Akward inward opening doors IIRC)

No - those were the 1960 MetCamm Pullmans originally used on the Eastern
Region Pullmans. I remember lunch on the Yorkshire Pullman, and last
travelled on one, steam hauled (and steam banked) from Folkestone Harbour to
Folkestone Junction and back. All Pullmans (unlike modern imitations) had
inward opening doors, but passengers were not supposed to have to bother
with them - the attendants were supposed to open and close them for you.

Peter

Old August 5th 09, 09:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone know why there is (at least) one old Blue Pullman in
Barking carriage shed? Spotted it today as I was passing.

Really? I thought they were all scrapped.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_251

So it must be one of the FM Rail Mk 2 Blue Pullman carriages. I think
about five of them ended up with Stobart Rail after it merged with Victa
Westlink, but I don't know if they kept them (Cotswold bought the
others). Stobart certainly didn't use them, preferring to use DRS's Mk 3
set during the brief period that it operated the Stobart Pullman
service.

Are those the carriages that used to run in the Boat Train from Harwich
to Liverpool Street?

No, they aren't. The origins of the blue/grey "Pullmans" under
discussion have already been adequately and comprehensively set out in