Old December 7th 09, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Use the full length of the platform" at Tower Hill

"M J Forbes" wrote in message
And presumably when on a motorway slip road which says "USE BOTH
LANES" you can only use one at a time as well

Unless you drive like my girlfriend, ignore the road markings, and
take up 50% of both lanes. It's amazing how much roadspace she can
hog with something as small as a Citroen C1 ... and she wonders why I
won't let her near the 407.

----------
Presumably now your ex-girlfriend, or don't you let here near the internet
either?

MaxB

Old December 8th 09, 07:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Huge
writes
Three times a *year*?

Yes, but since I only use the station a few times a year, that's quite a
high proportion of the time.

You should try trvalling from Bedford, where it happens
a lot more often than that.

No thanks, I find Luton quite exciting enough for me.

--
Clive Page
Old December 8th 09, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Tue, 8 Dec 2009
08:38:57 in uk.transport.london, Clive Page writes
In message , Huge
writes
Three times a *year*?

Yes, but since I only use the station a few times a year, that's quite
a high proportion of the time.

You should try trvalling from Bedford, where it happens
a lot more often than that.

No thanks, I find Luton quite exciting enough for me.

Don't get mad; get even!

I find it useful to complain when the service is deficient.

I used to complain about lying "first train out" at Aldgate. I got a
feeble explanation and a promise of better technology. The technology is
changed and lies less frequently. I am not sure it is better - one has
to look at next train information from 4 platforms to select the first
train north - the Circle and Metropolitan are deemed to run north and
south at Aldgate - they run west and east between Liverpool Street and
Great Portland Street; at Baker Street, the metropolitan runs north and
south.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old December 8th 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive Page" wrote in message
In message , Huge
writes
Three times a *year*?

Yes, but since I only use the station a few times a year, that's quite a
high proportion of the time.

You should try trvalling from Bedford, where it happens
a lot more often than that.

No thanks, I find Luton quite exciting enough for me.

--
Clive Page

With the crossovers north of Leagrave (next north from Luton), it was also
platform lotto there for Up trains when I was commuting. Those crossovers
still there?

DW downunder

Old December 8th 09, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes
Don't get mad; get even!

I find it useful to complain when the service is deficient.

I have complained many times to FCC about exactly this failure to warn
of last-minute platform changes. They send me a boiler-plate response
saying that they are taking steps to improve their passenger information
systems. The response is always the same, and indeed was the same when
Messrs Thameslink had the franchise. Since the PAS is actually run by
Railtrack (or National Rail or whatever they are called this year), it
is clear that the train operating companies have no influence on the
system, and really no interest in improving it. So it stays deficient.

I then complain to London Travel Watch who decline to take any action,
but say that it one of the general concerns which they will in due
course raise with First Group management. Then I don't hear any more
about it.

I have threatened to go to public meetings of London Travel Watch to
raise the issue myself - but unfortunately the last couple of them have
been on days when I was unable to go. Has anyone else managed to take a
complaint this far - and if so does it help?

At the moment, of course, it would be much more useful if people
complained about the FCC emergency timetable and tried to get the
franchise taken away from them because of their gross and persistent
failure to conform to the agreed service frequencies. Everything else
is a side issue.

--
Clive Page

Old December 18th 09, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Dec, 09:34, Roland Perry wrote:
The one I find most difficult is "use both lanes" when entering a
multi-storey car park, as this would involve demolishing the ticket
machine.

And don't even mention "Dogsmust be carried..."

A new one for you heard on a local radio station 'twixt adverts and
news "Remember to use a condom if you're planning to be going out at
this time of year".

--
gordon