Old November 16th 03, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
rob rob is offline

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

"Robin May" wrote in message
.4...

What you write above is totally nonsensical, incoherent and
inconsistent. You argue that anti-war feeling wasn't strong because the
UK didn't grind to a halt as a result of the demonstration. You then
argue that there ways of expressing opinions other than demonstrating.
If that's the case then why on earth are you trying to say that anti-
war feeling wasn't strong on the basis of participation in a
demonstration?

0/10 for intelligence

The sort of response I guess I should expect! Because I don't agree with
your sentiments, my views are "totally nonsensical, incoherent and
inconsistent! and I get 0/10 for intelligence!
Typical of those who force their views on others through demonstrating
perhaps?

Robert Griffith

Old November 16th 03, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message
So what are you saying, you can't be an "ordinary person" if you
demonstrate?

No doubt some demonstrators are "ordinary" people but, I firmly believe,

the
vast majority of "ordinary" people do not demonstrate - ever.

Marc.

Hear hear. I agree totally with you! Quite frankly it is wishful thinking to
try to argue that the "anti-war" feeling was that strong. Given the total
population of the UK, I do not recall the country grinding to a halt in a
way it would have done so, had most of its adult population joined a
demonstration. There are other ways of expressing opinions to parading in
the streets.

Robert Griffith

Thanks, Robert.

Marc.
Old November 16th 03, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!

Allow me, if I may, to reply.

Robin, you seem to have some difficulty in accepting a consistency between 2
totally consistent and coherent statements:

1. Anti-war feeling is lower than it has been hyped-up to be.
2. There are other ways of making one's anti-war feelings known other an public
street demonstrations.

Marc.

Old November 16th 03, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...

What you write above is totally nonsensical, incoherent and
inconsistent. You argue that anti-war feeling wasn't strong because the
UK didn't grind to a halt as a result of the demonstration. You then
argue that there ways of expressing opinions other than demonstrating.
If that's the case then why on earth are you trying to say that anti-
war feeling wasn't strong on the basis of participation in a
demonstration?

0/10 for intelligence

The sort of response I guess I should expect! Because I don't agree with
your sentiments, my views are "totally nonsensical, incoherent and
inconsistent! and I get 0/10 for intelligence!
Typical of those who force their views on others through demonstrating
perhaps?

Robert Griffith

Quite, Robert. You'd better get used to that sort of response for having the
temerity to disagree with Robin!

Marc.

Old November 16th 03, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
rob rob is offline

"Steve" wrote in message
"rob" wrote in :

No they really were totally nonsensical, incoherent and inconsistent for
the reasons given.

You are also getting dangerously close to Godwin.

As I scored 0/10 for intelligence by your standard perhaps you could explain
the "Godwin" reference.

Yet again your response reveals the arrogance of those who force their views
on others through demonstrations of this kind.

Robert Griffith

Old November 16th 03, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
rob rob is offline

"Mait001" wrote in message

Quite, Robert. You'd better get used to that sort of response for having

the
temerity to disagree with Robin!

Marc.

My pleasure Marc, I had to intervene because I find the arrogant assertions,
that almost everyone in this country support this cause, to be so far from
the truth!

Robert

Old November 16th 03, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"rob" wrote the following in:

"Robin May" wrote in message
.4...

What you write above is totally nonsensical, incoherent and
inconsistent. You argue that anti-war feeling wasn't strong
because the UK didn't grind to a halt as a result of the
demonstration. You then argue that there ways of expressing
opinions other than demonstrating. If that's the case then why on
earth are you trying to say that anti- war feeling wasn't strong
on the basis of participation in a demonstration?

0/10 for intelligence

The sort of response I guess I should expect! Because I don't
agree with your sentiments, my views are "totally nonsensical,
incoherent and inconsistent! and I get 0/10 for intelligence!

Not because you don't agree with me, but because what you said didn't
make sense. You said:

1. That anti-war feeling isn't very strong because the number of people
who demonstrated was a small percentage of the total population.

2. That there are ways of expressing opinion other than demonstrating.

So in part 1 you only count those who demonstrated against the war as
being anti-war. Then in part 2 you claimed there were other ways of
expressing an anti-war opinion. This doesn't make sense: you claim
there are other ways of expressing an opinion, and yet in part 1 you
totally ignore these ways and only consider demonstration. Does this
make sense? No.

Typical of those who force their views on others through
demonstrating perhaps?

I've never attended a demonstration.

Old November 16th 03, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

kedron wrote:

I'd hazard a guess that, of the 55 million or so, only about 1 to 3
million have EVER been on any demonstration of any sort.

But that's just a guess. It's precisely the kind of guess I suggested
you were making. Between poll tax, country alliance, cnd, anti-war,
pensioners, petrol geeks etc etc, I'd say your guess is wrong.

I'd say you're misjudging your fellow citizens.

What do the rest of you think?

I've been around for 43 years now and know no-one who has ever been on any
kind of mass demonstration. Most people I know really don't care *that*
much about the sort of things that demonstrations tend to cover - they, like
me, are just getting on with their own lives and doing the best they can to
create a secure future for their families.

Sure there are things I might feel are wrong or with which I might disagree
(in my case this would, for example, include the recent war, the Bush visit
and the fox hunting ban) but I certainly wouldn't go on a demonstration
about them - I have better things to do with my time