Old December 11th 09, 02:09 AM
Junior Member

Post DLR Stations

Why are most of the DLR Stations so close?

I also noticed the new Stations in the Stratford and Canning Town area are very close.

Old December 11th 09, 05:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Default DLR Stations

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 03:09:05 -0000, siege
wrote:

Why are most of the DLR Stations so close?

They're not that close, if one lives in Ruislip!

--
Fig
Old December 11th 09, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

Why are most of the DLR Stations so close?

DLR is a light rail system and is designed to allow frequent stops.
Surely it makes sense to build stations close to where people live and
work so that the system is convenient for them and attractive to use?

Not everyone wants an express service from A to B although City to
Docklands will have 3 choices by the time Crossrail is built - DLR, Tube
and Crossrail. *Oh and the 135 bus if that is still going by then.

I also noticed the new Stations in the Stratford and Canning Town area
are very close.

Yes but there are very considerable areas of housing and industrial
activity in those areas that are poorly served by buses and which the
Jubilee Line passes by. I fully expect the new intermediate stations on
the DLR line to be very well used. *This will be no different to the
closely spaced stations between Poplar and Stratford which are all
pretty busy. *I understand Langdon Park is well used despite all the
doubts at the project evaluation stage as to whether it was justified as
a project.

Also, while distances may often be short along the track, people can't
walk along the track. There's a lot of places where a short stop on
the DLR corresponds to a much longer walking route
Old December 11th 09, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"siege" wrote in message

Why are most of the DLR Stations so close?

I also noticed the new Stations in the Stratford and Canning Town area
are very close.

--
siege

I find it helps to think of the DLR as a tram rather than a train.

Old December 11th 09, 12:16 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig View Post
Never knew the DLR went there.

Old December 11th 09, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Why are most of the DLR Stations so close?

DLR is a light rail system and is designed to allow frequent stops.

In that the trains' top speed isn't that high, but its acceleration and
braking rates are, so the time lost by stopping is less than for heavy
rail trains. Plus, the stations are cheap. Hence, might as well have more
stops.

tom

--
Next issue - Nigel and the slavegirls ... or, why capitalism can never
work!
Old December 11th 09, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

wrote:
-

Why are most of the DLR Stations so close?
-
They're not that close, if one lives in Ruislip!

--
Fig

Never knew the DLR went there.

--
siege

I know Ruislip very well and it has a lot of stations of its own.

Old December 11th 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I know Ruislip very well and it has a lot of stations of its own.

Not as many as Acton or Ealing though.

Cheers,

Barry
Old December 12th 09, 03:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
wrote:

I know Ruislip very well and it has a lot of stations of its own.

Not as many as Acton or Ealing though.

It has as many as Ealing.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.