Old September 19th 03, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Problems with Travelcard issued at NR stations

On 2003-08-13 K ) wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:02:55 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

The suggested 'workaround' is as follows:

First time you *enter* an Underground station after getting a new
Travelcard, ask to be let through the Manual Gate. When you exit, use an
Automatic Gate.

This is supposed to "fix" the encoding so that the ticket works.

I tried that when I had a wrongly-encoded ticket lat year. The man at
Waterloo underground even showed me the instructions they had been
given to that effect - it even listed which gate numbers to use. It
didn't work, though :-)

After about three goes I finally got the ticket office (Waterloo
mainline) to encode the ticket properly (put todays date as the start
date rather than the original start date) They even have revised
instructions behind the counters at Waterloo but they still sometimes
get it wrong :-(

Thanks to all those that posted suggestions. We've tried getting it
replaced and then not using it until exiting an LU station. But with
no joy. The error code is 11 which apparently means "Out of date".
Which it clearly isn't.

Is it possible to get it replaced at some other Connex station other
than Blackheath, e.g. Charing Cross? We're rather losing faith in
the abilities of the ticket office at Blackheath?

Any further suggestions gratefully received!

thanks,
Graham

Old September 19th 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote the following in:

One other thing to try is getting it issued at an office that uses
Tribute rather than APTIS, such as St Pancras, then do the Manual
Gate on Entry, Auto Barrier on Exit trick.

What are Tribute and APTIS?

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
If bathroom means toilet in America, I'll have a shower please.

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old September 19th 03, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Sep 2003 14:30:38 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

Barry Salter wrote the following in:

One other thing to try is getting it issued at an office that uses
Tribute rather than APTIS, such as St Pancras, then do the Manual
Gate on Entry, Auto Barrier on Exit trick.

What are Tribute and APTIS?

Tribute are the PC-based Ticket Machines that tend to mostly be used in
Travel Centres, although some TOCs have gone over to all Tribute
operation (e.g. GNER at Kings Cross, Midland Mainline at St Pancras).

APTIS are the big, old-fashioned machines that are used at most other
stations.

HTH,

Barry

--
Barry Salter,
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.
Old September 19th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

What are Tribute and APTIS?

http://www.freewebs.com/railwaysonline/ticketing.html

--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For the Latest News, Information and Photos check out