Old December 21st 09, 02:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Moorgate branch decommissioned

On 18 Dec, 15:52, "Recliner" wrote:
"DW downunder" noname wrote in message

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Following the timetable change, FCC have ceased running empties from
Farringdon into Moorgate and the branch has been fully
decommissioned. As at today, Thursday, the branch has been
completely dewired, final removals occurring adjacent to the LUL
sidings at Farringdon today. The signalling has also been switched
out. Given the speed at which this work is taking place, I guess that
track recovery will not be long commencing.

I would imagine the section would be of some use to LU - as it was in
days of yore.

Cue the usual speculation of outlandish schemes for express routes, DLR
extensions, etc...

As nobody has come up with it yet, how about looping the W&C round to
Moorgate, and then extending it to Farringdon. You could then add a
new deep bore line to take it on to King's Cross, thereby allowing all
those "Eurostar will lose all it's passengers by moving to St Pancras
because I live in LSWR land and can't get to St Pancras" people to
access Paris and Brussels again (except when Eurostar is broken). Now
all I need to do is work something about harrasment of photographers
and smelly voyager toilets in, and I think I've got every uk.railway
cliche in here.

Robin
Old December 21st 09, 03:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 21 Dec, 15:10, bob wrote:
On 18 Dec, 15:52, "Recliner" wrote:

"DW downunder" noname wrote in message

. au

[...]

It's been suggested loads of times. The W & C comes almost to ground
level and would have to go through several important foundations. It
isn't going to be extended. The DLR is more plausible, also suggested
before.
Old December 22nd 09, 07:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, MIG
writes

On 21 Dec, 15:10, bob wrote:
As nobody has come up with it yet, how about looping the W&C round to
Moorgate, and then extending it to Farringdon.

It's been suggested loads of times. The W & C comes almost to ground
level and would have to go through several important foundations.

Although I've seen that said many times, it must have been possible in
theory as the 1913 Metropolitan Railway Act proposed that an already
authorised line from Moorgate to Lothbury be extended to connect with
the Waterloo and City. Railway No. 5 in the bill proposed extending the
line from Lothbury to a junction with the W&C "at or near the eastern
end of the up platform of the Bank Station on that railway beneath Queen
Victoria Street".

Presumably Lothbury would have been an exchange station for Bank (it's
much closer to Bank than Monument). The following year the plan was
revised to omit the junction with the W&C but instead to provide a
terminus with exchange platforms actually at Bank, alongside the W&C
platforms.

But the problem was, as you say, the shallow depth of the line, which
created much opposition from property owners on the route. So it didn't
receive parliamentary approval.
--
Paul Terry
Old December 22nd 09, 08:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Paul Terry wrote:

In message
, MIG
writes

On 21 Dec, 15:10, bob wrote:
As nobody has come up with it yet, how about looping the W&C round to
Moorgate, and then extending it to Farringdon.

It's been suggested loads of times. The W & C comes almost to ground
level and would have to go through several important foundations.

Although I've seen that said many times, it must have been possible in
theory as the 1913 Metropolitan Railway Act proposed that an already
authorised line from Moorgate to Lothbury be extended to connect with
the Waterloo and City. Railway No. 5 in the bill proposed extending the
line from Lothbury to a junction with the W&C "at or near the eastern
end of the up platform of the Bank Station on that railway beneath Queen
Victoria Street".

There's been a certain amount of building and rebuilding since 1913...

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/

Old December 22nd 09, 08:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote

Although I've seen that said many times, it must have been possible in
theory as the 1913 Metropolitan Railway Act proposed that an already
authorised line from Moorgate to Lothbury be extended to connect with
the Waterloo and City. Railway No. 5 in the bill proposed extending the
line from Lothbury to a junction with the W&C "at or near the eastern
end of the up platform of the Bank Station on that railway beneath Queen
Victoria Street".

Would this have been an extension of the Great Northern & City line?

Peter
Old December 22nd 09, 08:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme wrote:

There's been a certain amount of building and rebuilding since 1913...

Now would be a great time to extend the W&C, since the BOE vaults are
presumably empty.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old December 22nd 09, 09:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
"Basil Jet" wrote:

Graeme wrote:

There's been a certain amount of building and rebuilding since 1913...

Now would be a great time to extend the W&C, since the BOE vaults are
presumably empty.

What makes you think they are empty? The bankers (checks spelling) have to
keep their bonuses somewhere...

Old December 22nd 09, 10:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme wrote:

In message
"Basil Jet" wrote:

Graeme wrote:

There's been a certain amount of building and rebuilding since 1913...

Now would be a great time to extend the W&C, since the BOE vaults are
presumably empty.

What makes you think they are empty? The bankers (checks spelling) have to
keep their bonuses somewhere...

Presumably they, being on the spot, will know better than anyone what
dangerous places banks are to keep money, and will have used it to fill
their mattresses and wallpaper their seventh homes.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13857110.html
(25 303 at Bescot, May 1979)
Old December 22nd 09, 11:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Masson
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote

Although I've seen that said many times, it must have been possible
in theory as the 1913 Metropolitan Railway Act proposed that an
already authorised line from Moorgate to Lothbury be extended to
connect with the Waterloo and City. Railway No. 5 in the bill proposed
extending the line from Lothbury to a junction with the W&C "at or
near the eastern end of the up platform of the Bank Station on that
railway beneath Queen Victoria Street".

Would this have been an extension of the Great Northern & City line?

Yes, it was taken over by the Met earlier that year.
--
Paul Terry