Old December 24th 09, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Anger growing over the UK's inability to just say 'f- this' and watch DVDs

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:20:35 -0800 (PST), Keith Raeburn
wrote:

He's possibly used some unfair advantage of 22nd century technology,
like snow chains.

Hans-Joachim

There was footage of someone using them on the local news earlier. I
was shocked, it's the first time I've ever seen them in England. Says
a lot.

They're illegal for road use in the UK.

Where did you get that opinion from?

Snow chains have been in use for years but I think what has happened
is that they have almost become obsolete in the minds of most UK
motorists. Combination of milder Winters ,Most modern cars being FWD
and some not having the physical clearances to fit them.
50 years there use was fairly common.
My Fathers Morris 1000 batted around reasonably well in the big freece
in 62 or was it 63.No fancy traction controls ,just a goog ground
clearnce' a boot full of concrete blocks wo put weight on the driven
wheels and snowchains.
In some regions of Europe it is a legal requirement to have them
available and if we start to get bad (or normal) Winters then it
would be a good idea to extend that to the UK. There are other devices
around now such has straps,wheel socks which are easier to fit but the
good old chain at least has the ability to dig into and crunch sheet
Ice which is often more of a problem than the overlying snow.

G.harman