Old December 24th 09, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Paddington H&C station upgrade

On Dec 24, 11:17*pm, wrote:

Yes, but how much of that improves the connection with the main line
station? As far as I could see from those plans that bit remains as I
described and all that you mention just provides admittedly much better
access to the outside of the station.

Once you've taken your choice of three staircases or lift to the upper
level, you have the existing route, or going out through the new gates
and then back in either using the canvas footbridge that currently
forms the canal exit, or there'll be a wide pedestrian route the
length of the taxi rank, leading to stairs (escalators?) down onto the
main station concourse.

Old December 26th 09, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Dec, 09:45, wrote:

That area of the station has always, or at least as far back as I can
remember, been strange. When did the stairs and bridge at the far
end, giving direct access to Bishops Bridge Road close? The pictures
of the outside of this old exit seem to show it now leading to
nothing, though the last time I was on that platform,several years
ago. the stairs still seem to have been available for use as an
emergency exit. It looks like there was a now-demolished building
outside this exit originally.

Also, what's the history of the exit that leads out onto Bishops
Bridge Road from the suburban ticket office area? I know this was re-
arranged during previous changes to this area some years ago, but it
used to be an unsigned doorway, up a couple of steps. Wondering where
it led to I once went out that way, and found that it was a useful way
to get to the canal, and used it several times after that, but it
always looked as if it wasn't supposed to be used by the public. Of
course that changed later, and after the exit was re-arranged signs
were put up for it.