Old October 25th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston Station Underground upgrade a joke.

I was really pleased to see the removal of the bland, uninteresting,
boring late 60's tiling, and was looking forward to walking through a
station that doesn't cause clinical depression.

So was great to see the new tiling was identical to the old, nice one
tubelines.

Would it really have been so hard to make the station look just a
little bit modern.

Rob

Old October 25th 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Oct, 17:57, wrote:
I was really pleased to see the removal of the bland, uninteresting,
boring late 60's tiling, and was looking forward to walking through a
station that doesn't cause clinical depression.
So was great to see the new tiling was identical to the old, nice one
tubelines.
Would it really have been so hard to make the station look just a
little bit modern.

As a matter of personal taste, I quite like the bland Victoria Line
style.

Euston could be worse. Some of the recent jobs (Highgate, Bethnal
Green) are IMO pretty badly designed and executed, whilst Tower Hill
now looks like a cross between the 1970s subway systems you get under
major road intersections and a public convenience.

IMO the current round of station "upgrades" (why can't they just use
the correct term - refurbishment) will come to be deeply lamented.

Old October 25th 07, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Oct, 17:57, wrote:
I was really pleased to see the removal of the bland, uninteresting,
boring late 60's tiling, and was looking forward to walking through a
station that doesn't cause clinical depression.

So was great to see the new tiling was identical to the old, nice one
tubelines.

Would it really have been so hard to make the station look just a
little bit modern.

It's in line with LU's general policy of keeping stations visually the
same unless rebuilt, in order to preserve its heritage - which is a
good one.

The 1960s feel at Euston Square is just as worthy of preservation as
the 1930s tiles at Bethnal Green and the 1900s tiles at Arsenal, IMO.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old October 25th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's in line with LU's general policy of keeping stations
visually the same unless rebuilt, in order to preserve its
heritage - which is a good one.

And yet columns at Mile End station apparently weren't worthy of
preservation - so old white+green tiling was replaced with ugly blue
"wraps".

Old October 25th 07, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Oct, 18:26, alex_t wrote:
It's in line with LU's general policy of keeping stations
visually the same unless rebuilt, in order to preserve its
heritage - which is a good one.

And yet columns at Mile End station apparently weren't worthy of
preservation - so old white+green tiling was replaced with ugly blue
"wraps".

The blue things at Mile End are temporary, aren't they?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old October 25th 07, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was really pleased to see the removal of the bland, uninteresting,
boring late 60's tiling, and was looking forward to walking through a
station that doesn't cause clinical depression.

So was great to see the new tiling was identical to the old, nice one
tubelines.

Would it really have been so hard to make the station look just a
little bit modern.

Is the southbound escalator from the station concourse down to the
underground ticket hall still cordoned off? It causees severe overcrowding
in the morning peak.

Old October 25th 07, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Oct, 18:20, John B wrote:
On 25 Oct, 17:57, wrote:

I was really pleased to see the removal of the bland, uninteresting,
boring late 60's tiling, and was looking forward to walking through a
station that doesn't cause clinical depression.

So was great to see the new tiling was identical to the old, nice one
tubelines.

Would it really have been so hard to make the station look just a
little bit modern.

It's in line with LU's general policy of keeping stations visually the
same unless rebuilt, in order to preserve its heritage - which is a
good one.

The 1960s feel at Euston Square is just as worthy of preservation as
the 1930s tiles at Bethnal Green and the 1900s tiles at Arsenal, IMO.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot orgwww.johnband.org

I suppose it's all down to personal opinion, after all the underground
station will probably be rebuild when they demolish the mainline
station above. I love the Tube architecture old and new
( www.tubephotos.com ) , but not anything from that era.

Rob

Old October 25th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:20:31 -0700, John B wrote:

The 1960s feel at Euston Square is just as worthy of preservation as
the 1930s tiles at Bethnal Green and the 1900s tiles at Arsenal, IMO.

Agreed. I really like Euston Square in that way, though I think it
will be a bit less impressive when alighting from the new stock rather
than the classic A-Stock there.

Perhaps one should look at Hamburg's U- and S-Bahn for how to upgrade
the system and stations while retaining character...

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 25th 07, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The 1960s feel at Euston Square is just as worthy of preservation
as the 1930s tiles at Bethnal Green and the 1900s tiles at
Arsenal, IMO.

Agreed. I really like Euston Square in that way, though I think it
will be a bit less impressive when alighting from the new stock
rather than the classic A-Stock there.

I don't quite see the connection between the stock you are alighting
from and the look of the station. Will St Pancras be any less impressive
because you're alighting from a modern Eurostar train?

In any case the current A-stock ambience is that of the 1990s
refurbishment. At least the S-stock won't have those noisy compressors
clattering away, and hopefully will have given you a more comfortable
ride.
--
Richard J.

Old October 25th 07, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:26:57 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

I don't quite see the connection between the stock you are alighting
from and the look of the station.

Because the stock gives the station a classic look. It might be '90s
inside, but it looks '60s from the outside. Totally unconnected to
this thread, I did alight from and look down a train of A-stock
earlier this week at Euston Square, and it occurred to me that the
scene was really no different from what it would have been 40 years
ago, bar the lack of bowler hats!

Will St Pancras be any less impressive
because you're alighting from a modern Eurostar train?

Compared to an HST? No, but compared to steam-hauled compartment
stock, yes, without a doubt.

In any case the current A-stock ambience is that of the 1990s
refurbishment. At least the S-stock won't have those noisy compressors
clattering away, and hopefully will have given you a more comfortable
ride.

But won't, I'm told, have as many seats. The Met is a nice way to
travel on LUL, because you have a very good chance of a seat, and when
you do get one people aren't pushing past you.

The standard stock will be a waste of the extra-wide loading gauge,
too. The A-stock is just about the only UK stock I've seen that's
actually wide enough for 2+3 with all seats occupied.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Henleys corner crossing - someone tell me this is a joke [email protected] London Transport 78 October 12th 11 04:15 AM
Is This A Joke? - London The Easiest City In Europe To Get Around Paul London Transport 3 July 7th 11 03:10 PM
SNOW JOKE George London Transport 35 December 4th 10 12:49 PM
LU Closures Beyond a Joke MIG London Transport 30 September 17th 09 03:05 PM
A Transport Joke Rev. CMOT TMPV London Transport 0 March 29th 07 10:10 PM