Old January 2nd 10, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New years day service - or lack thereof

In message t, at
16:40:00 on Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Paul Cummins
remarked:
The posting date/time will be when you blink, not when you write.

And does Ameol obscure when that was?

It obscures when you wrote the message - it could have been many years
before you posted it...

In which case one should be wary of accusing people of posting things
after you did.

Old January 2nd 10, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Basil Jet
writes

Was it half a mil? Guess LBC got it wrong.

Anyway , that just makes my point even more valid.

I'd be surprised if LUL have enough drivers to run a more frequent service
than they did.

They didn't have me
Old January 2nd 10, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
writes

So 250,000 people turning up for the new years day parade is
insufficient demand? Who knows how many would have gone if the tube
service had been better.

Apparently another 250,000 people made it. I assume they walked ;-)

Was it half a mil? Guess LBC got it wrong.

Anyway , that just makes my point even more valid.

I'd be surprised if LUL have enough drivers to run a more frequent
service than they did.

Presumably New Year's Day is a bigger example of the LM/FCC drivers not
wanting to work on days they don't have to?

To be honest it doesn't work like that on LUL.

Since company plan (as the old boys tell me) LUL drivers are salaried
staff contracted to work 5 days a week - that's any 5 days out of 7
every week come hell or high water, subject to leave.

This means that public holidays (even Christmas day) are a normal
working day for us and if you are rostered to work it then work you do.
I was booked rest day so I didn't work. The problem is that when NYD is
a weekday, as it was, there will be an excess of drivers as the normal
weekday numbers will be rostered to work. This number is reduced to the
requirements of the timetable offered and the excess either sit 'spare'
or take a day of their leave. Of course, on Christmas day everybody is
either rest day or takes a days leave.

So the answer to the original post (which I didn't see and I'll leave
that as an exercise for the reader to work out why) we could have
actually run a pretty full weekday timetable and had the staff to do it.
TfL (or whoever) decided to offer the service that was run.

Old January 2nd 10, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Jan, 23:12, wrote:
Do they? *I've learnt something then as I hadn't appreciated it was now
on a fixed date. It used to be the first Sunday in January when I was
involved in the fares revision process (a long time ago!).

1/1/11 is a Saturday...

Whatever. The annual fare increase date seems to have crept forward over
the years. Looks like it was the first weekend in January when I started
working in London in 2001/2. Looks like the 2 January date was effective
from at least 2006, though.

Yes, it's fixed again - they'd do it on January 1st, but didn't want
to pay overtime at super-enhanced rates to the staff that need to
update everything necessary. Also, I reckon, because transport
operates all night on New Year's Eve and it would be confusing if fare
rises happened during opening hours.
Old January 3rd 10, 12:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

So the answer to the original post (which I didn't see and I'll leave
that as an exercise for the reader to work out why) we could have
actually run a pretty full weekday timetable and had the staff to do
it. TfL (or whoever) decided to offer the service that was run.

I misunderstood the original post - I thought the service level through the
night was being discussed, and suggested that running a decent service
through New Years Eve and New Years Day and through the night between them
would require more drivers than LUL have.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old January 3rd 10, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Basil Jet
writes
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

So the answer to the original post (which I didn't see and I'll leave
that as an exercise for the reader to work out why) we could have
actually run a pretty full weekday timetable and had the staff to do
it. TfL (or whoever) decided to offer the service that was run.

I misunderstood the original post - I thought the service level through the
night was being discussed, and suggested that running a decent service
through New Years Eve and New Years Day and through the night between them
would require more drivers than LUL have.

The service though the night is staffed by volunteers (of which there
were plenty as I couldn't get a shift). That part is the only
difference from a normal day and will, indeed require a few more than
normal staff. I think only 15 or 20 duties though as after 0200 the
service does thin down a bit.
Old January 3rd 10, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Jan, 00:24, wrote:
In article
,

(Chris) wrote:

[fare increase date]

Also, I reckon, because transport operates all night on New Year's
Eve and it would be confusing if fare rises happened during opening
hours.

Isn't that a consideration on January 2? Do they wait till 04:30? What
about night buses?

Clicks over about 0430 I believe.