Old January 10th 10, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How is the T-Cup doing...

In message , at 06:29:39
on Sun, 10 Jan 2010, remarked:
However, you have now gained the possibility of doing the same
journey, step-free, using the Piccadilly Line.

Not if the reason for wanting it step free is because I have my bicycle
with me!

Won't it fit in the lift? (Although to some extent this simply
demonstrates that using a bike on public transport simply doesn't scale)

Old January 10th 10, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 10 Jan, 14:41, "Richard J." wrote:
Roland Perry wrote on 10 January 2010 14:15:24 ...

In message , at 06:29:39
on Sun, 10 Jan 2010, remarked:
However, you have now gained the possibility of doing the same
journey, step-free, using the Piccadilly Line.
Not if the reason for wanting it step free is because I have my bicycle
with me!

Won't it fit in the lift? (Although to some extent this simply
demonstrates that using a bike on public transport simply doesn't scale)

Unfolded bikes aren't allowed on tunnelled sections of the deep tube
lines. *I believe this is because they would impede an evacuation from a
train stuck in a tunnel.

The leaflet on the "new extended Circle line" says, regarding changing
at Edgware Road, "you can avoid the footbridge as cross-platform
interchange is available in both directions: eastbound ... between
platform 2 (Circle line) and platform 1; westbound ... between platform
4 and platform 3 (District line)." *That sounds to me like an assured
step-free route.

There is never a way of assuring that a train won't be signalled into
platform 3 at the last minute.

Anyway, if it really is running well, I may have to be true to my word
and eat my dinner.

However, there haven't exactly been any normal weeks since the service
was introduced, so let's wait and see.
Old January 10th 10, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
14:41:32 on Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Richard J.
remarked:
Unfolded bikes aren't allowed on tunnelled sections of the deep tube
lines. I believe this is because they would impede an evacuation from
a train stuck in a tunnel.

Fair enough.

The leaflet on the "new extended Circle line" says, regarding changing
at Edgware Road, "you can avoid the footbridge as cross-platform
interchange is available in both directions: eastbound ... between
platform 2 (Circle line) and platform 1; westbound ... between platform
4 and platform 3 (District line)." That sounds to me like an assured
step-free route.

I suppose that if you ended up on 3 or 4 having terminated from the
Kensington direction, you could always catch the next Hammersmith train
and reverse at Paddington (island platform iirc).
Old January 10th 10, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 10 Jan, 16:05, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

If you start going that far, there are step-free changes on all routes
as long as every line has at least one step-free change to another and
enough of them have two. This is probably the case.

So, problem solved (at least by the usual definition here) and anyone
who finds it inconvenient is an idiot who ought to live somewhere else.

Old January 10th 10, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:15:24 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

Won't it fit in the lift? (Although to some extent this simply
demonstrates that using a bike on public transport simply doesn't scale)

In Central London I'd just ride it. Probably quicker than the
glacially slow sub-surface lines.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old January 10th 10, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 08:41:28 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

If you start going that far, there are step-free changes on all routes
as long as every line has at least one step-free change to another and
enough of them have two. This is probably the case.

So, problem solved (at least by the usual definition here) and anyone
who finds it inconvenient is an idiot who ought to live somewhere else.

That's a bit extreme. The Circle Line had a problem of atrocious
punctuality, day in day out. This is an attempt to solve it.

What, OOI, would be your suggestion to prevent the situation that
occurred before, e.g. half hour gaps in service followed by 4 trains
together? People wouldn't like trains sitting at Aldgate for 20
minutes' recovery time (the only other place where it would really
make sense to hold them as they're completely out of the way there).

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old January 10th 10, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Neil Williams wrote:

What, OOI, would be your suggestion to prevent the situation that
occurred before, e.g. half hour gaps in service followed by 4 trains
together?

Transfer the Hammersmith branch to Crossrail. Failing that, turn it into a
GW branch that terminates at Paddington.

You will still need recovery waits at Aldgate, but they should be smaller
without the delays emanating from Praed Street.

tom

--
Cthulu saves! (so he can eat you later)
Old January 10th 10, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 06:45:51 -0600,

wrote:

I don't know if you've seen the reports in the Standard but what I saw
led on reliability falling.

Assuming we are referring to the one article in the Standard since the
changeover then no it didn't. It led on Ross Lydall having a great big
bloody whinge because he got delayed on one journey from the south side
of the circle round to Notting Hill Gate. All sorts of problems had
arisen that day that caused the Circle to be buggered. That is hardly
news nor is it at all relevant to happenings (or not) at Edgware Road.
I've had this same article cited on another group where people didn't
bother to read it properly.

That can't have been the article I saw. I haven't a clue who Ross Lydall
might be and certainly don't recall any of those details.

I'll also make the partially relevant point that I would not expect the
Standard (being based at HSK) to be the most ardent supporters of
something their own staff might moan about. It's an easy target. Perhaps
we should all have a blog page in the Standard where we can moan about
our particular dislikes on the public transport network?

I can't disagree with that but it was all I had to go on. I'm less likely
to use the Underground to get to Putney now. PAYG on NR is much cheaper
for me now off-peak. :-)

As I have said let's what for a reliable and objective assessment. If
it had been a monumental disaster I am convinced we would have heard a
great deal more about the change than we have.

I agree that things will become clearer but if they don't do something
drastic about the passenger information at Edgware Road I'll find it hard
to believe they are trying.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 10th 10, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
08:41:28 on Sun, 10 Jan 2010, MIG
remarked:
I suppose that if you ended up on 3 or 4 having terminated from the
Kensington direction, you could always catch the next Hammersmith train
and reverse at Paddington (island platform iirc).

If you start going that far,

It's only one stop - and if I had a couple of big suitcases it would be
well worth it.

there are step-free changes on all routes as long as every line has at
least one step-free change to another and enough of them have two. This
is probably the case.

So, problem solved (at least by the usual definition here) and anyone
who finds it inconvenient is an idiot who ought to live somewhere else.

That's "extreme stepless", which has a place, but not in this thread.