Old January 17th 10, 09:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default How do you spell Haringey?

The local council uses Haringey - http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

Old January 17th 10, 09:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graham Harrison wrote:
The local council uses Haringey - http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

You spell Haringey......errrrrrm, Haringey.

And you spell Harringay, Harringay.

Harringay is a residential area of North London and Haringey is a London
Borough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harringay
--
Visit my website: British Railways in 1960
http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk

Old January 17th 10, 09:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17 Jan, 10:05, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
The local council uses Haringey -http://www.haringey.gov.uk/but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

Harringay the place, Haringey the London Borough created in 1965. All
explained he

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A842942

Old January 17th 10, 10:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
news
The local council uses Haringey - http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown by the way
they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for whittlesey, Fulbourne for
Fulbourn

Never rely on railway spelling

Ian

Old January 17th 10, 10:19 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Ian Bidwell" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message news
The local council uses Haringey - http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown by the
way they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for whittlesey, Fulbourne
for Fulbourn

Never rely on railway spelling

Ian

Dam spill chucker Whittlesea for Whittlesey

Old January 17th 10, 10:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 17 Jan, 11:17, "Ian Bidwell" wrote:
"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

news
The local council uses Haringey -http://www.haringey.gov.uk/but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown by the way
they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for whittlesey, Fulbourne for
Fulbourn

Never rely on railway spelling

Ian

Although in this case they are correct. There are many more stations
in the borough of Haringey.
Old January 17th 10, 10:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:17:18 -0000, Ian Bidwell put finger to keyboard
and typed:

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
news
The local council uses Haringey - http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown by the way
they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for whittlesey, Fulbourne for
Fulbourn

In many cases, though, that's due to the fact that when the railways
were built (and the stations were named) there wasn't a single
accepted spelling of many place names.

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk
Old January 17th 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Ian Bidwell
scribeth thus

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
news
The local council uses Haringey - http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown by the way
they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for whittlesey, Fulbourne for

Fulbourn

Which is correct .. but rather academic, can't remember when the station
shut down..

Never rely on railway spelling

Ian

--
Tony Sayer

Old January 17th 10, 12:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Brian Robertson" wrote in message
Graham Harrison wrote:
The local council uses Haringey - http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

You spell Haringey......errrrrrm, Haringey.

And you spell Harringay, Harringay.

Harringay is a residential area of North London and Haringey is a London
Borough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harringay
--
Visit my website: British Railways in 1960
http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk

Thank you. And, in case anyone is remotely interested; the specific
explanation is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ngay#Etymology

Old January 17th 10, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Brian
Robertson) wrote:

Graham Harrison wrote:
The local council uses Haringey -
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

You spell Haringey......errrrrrm, Haringey.

And you spell Harringay, Harringay.

Harringay is a residential area of North London and Haringey is a
London Borough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harringay

When I were a lad Harringay was a dog stadium.

--
Colin Rosenstiel